The Stax Thread III
Nov 24, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #21,481 of 25,473
How does the L300 sound change with L700 pads?
Slightly bigger soundstage and the “in your head” feeling is lessened by just a little bit. Everything sounds slightly pushed back but it’s still the most intimate Stax, has all the Stax magic and hyper clarity, and everything is right in front of you to enjoy. Bass response is also increased slightly in quantity with a little less accuracy and more boom. L300s don’t have great bass accuracy or extension to begin with so it’s not that big of a deal to sacrifice for the comfort IMO.

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #21,483 of 25,473
How does the L300 sound change with L700 pads?
Here are my comparisons with L1000 (L300 with L700 pads):
L300 with L300 pads - amazing soundstage and clarity, largest wow factor.
Bass is underwhelming in both quality and quantity. Too thin with little decay.

L300 with L500 pads - soundstage is increased over L1000, so is the clarity. Not as warm as L1000.
Bass quality is about as good as L1000

I do prefer L300 with its original pads over the other options for anything that doesn't involve bass.

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #21,485 of 25,473
I’ve got that blue one in your link. It’s really wonderful, especially with my NBs. Does not power my ES-1a very much but it goes well with the Lambdas quite nicely. Makes mine sound sweeter and warm but still so very Stax. Less detail and power than my CCS modded 006 and less bass slam than my SRD7 / Emotiva a100. Tube rolling changes the sound. With the NB, it’s one of my favorite Stax Combos.

It’s called the Stat, though, not the ES. Or at least that’s what I do.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #21,486 of 25,473
My SR-009 have started to misbehave…. The right side will over a period if about 5min lower itself to above 50% volume….
I can reset the lowered volume by pressing where the “R” logo is on the cable relief.
There is no scratching or other sound defects- just lower volume…
Is this a known defect with a easy fix or do i need to send them in for service?
And do any of you know of a hood service provider in the Denmark region?

Nov 29, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #21,487 of 25,473
I’ve got that blue one in your link. It’s really wonderful, especially with my NBs. Does not power my ES-1a very much but it goes well with the Lambdas quite nicely. Makes mine sound sweeter and warm but still so very Stax. Less detail and power than my CCS modded 006 and less bass slam than my SRD7 / Emotiva a100. Tube rolling changes the sound. With the NB, it’s one of my favorite Stax Combos.
Your question made me listen to the ES-1a - Stat combo again and I take my comment back about the Stat not powering the ES-1a. There is less detail, and less of a 3D soundstage, but on the Stat it feels fuller and with more mid-bass (less sub-bass). If I had to compare the sound, I'd say that Stat-ES combo sounds more like an Aeolus while the 006t sounds more like an LCD2C. Not directly like that, but that is the direction each amp pushes these cans.

I'm going to post a more detailed review of the ES-1A vs the L300 LEs vs the NBs here at some point. The ES-1a's are endgame-worthy for me, and Benson has been so helpful to me with both those and his Sigma replicas that I want to shine a light on this cans.

Nov 29, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #21,488 of 25,473
guys, i have a stupid question. i recently acquired a BHSE, and it takes about 20-30s after starting before i can hear anything...is that normal? Usually my other tube amps start to make sound ( low volume) right after turning on....is it really taking that long for BHSE to get warmed up?

thank you!

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #21,489 of 25,473
guys, i have a stupid question. i recently acquired a BHSE, and it takes about 20-30s after starting before i can hear anything...is that normal? Usually my other tube amps start to make sound ( low volume) right after turning on....is it really taking that long for BHSE to get warmed up?

thank you!
Yep, it needs a warm-up, just wait for both of the front lights to come on. But it really take about 30-45 minutes for full warm-up. some like to wait over an hour or so for it's "true" sound.

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #21,490 of 25,473
Yep, it needs a warm-up, just wait for both of the front lights to come on. But it really take about 30-45 minutes for full warm-up. some like to wait over an hour or so for it's "true" sound.
got it, appreciate for your answers!

Nov 30, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #21,491 of 25,473
My SR-009 have started to misbehave…. The right side will over a period if about 5min lower itself to above 50% volume….
I can reset the lowered volume by pressing where the “R” logo is on the cable relief.
Is this a known defect with a easy fix or do i need to send them in for service?
Best case scenario: cold solder joint. It's fixable, but if you're still in warranty, just contact your dealer.

Nov 30, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #21,492 of 25,473
Well, indeed it sounds like a cold soldering point. In Denmark https://headfreaks.eu/ should be able to help you with a hood.

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #21,493 of 25,473
Well, indeed it sounds like a cold soldering point. In Denmark https://headfreaks.eu/ should be able to help you with a hood.
Thank you for the input!
I will give headfreaks a call as the last two emails i send them (regarding a new headband) they have not replied to…

Dec 4, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #21,494 of 25,473
Just got a new STAX D10 for mobile use from headfreaks DK. Nicely made, sounds pretty well, a bit missing lows and bit enhanced highs, easily compensated using the ROON CONVOLVER. As is, it sounds best with the original Lambda Pro for me. 009 works well, but a bit too weak to drive a 007 even at max volume, as expected.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back