The Stax Thread III
Mar 26, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #17,447 of 25,481
AK SP1000 driving a STAX SR009 thanks to Kingsound M-03 Portable Amp. Very very good sound. Even Jude was surprised by the result ! :beyersmile:

I shortened the looooong cable to make the SR009 more portable...

I don't understand why they insist on analogue. SRM-D10's digital input will be better than kingsound M-03. It seems ridiculous.

Hmm I'm sorry I have mixed up some posts.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #17,448 of 25,481
Okay, did the Blu-tak earpad mod on my modded L300 Limiteds, but with Loctite Fun-tak:
i-2gDVRWT.jpg

Absolutely REDICULOUS how they sound now...absolutely noticeable improvement in low end extension and impact, along with a better sense of space and with details that seem a little more accessable/noticeable. Only possible downside is it seems just ever so slightly slower to me... like the sound is just a bit less instant.

Bass absolutely reminds me of the 404 Limited, but it's in a brighter, more spaceous and open sounding headphone... I likey!

EDIT: why does Kikuo sound awesome on STAX...

What the HECK are you doing with the panning Kikuo?!?! Freaking vertical & horizontal, circular panning that speeds up... LOL

And DAT sealed L300 limited BASS...who slipped in Fostex biodyna drivers into my STAX?! LOL

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #17,449 of 25,481
greetings everyone, I got a stax 007 Mk2 and the SRM-007tII energizer

I would like to know please, would I benefit pairing the stax 007 with an ifi ican pro and ifi iesl more than using the SRM-007tII

I am not looking into buying a Woo audio energizer or Blue Hawaii, or other brands, as those are not available where I live , so I just need to know if adding the ifi iesl to ifi ican pro would be a better pairing than with SRM-007tII

best wishes

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #17,450 of 25,481
Okay, did the Blu-tak earpad mod on my modded L300 Limiteds, but with Loctite Fun-tak:
i-2gDVRWT.jpg

Absolutely REDICULOUS how they sound now...absolutely noticeable improvement in low end extension and impact, along with a better sense of space and with details that seem a little more accessable/noticeable. Only possible downside is it seems just ever so slightly slower to me... like the sound is just a bit less instant.

Bass absolutely reminds me of the 404 Limited, but it's in a brighter, more spaceous and open sounding headphone... I likey!

EDIT: why does Kikuo sound awesome on STAX...

What the HECK are you doing with the panning Kikuo?!?! Freaking vertical & horizontal, circular panning that speeds up... LOL

And DAT sealed L300 limited BASS...who slipped in Fostex biodyna drivers into my STAX?! LOL

Remove grill sound better without it !

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #17,451 of 25,481
greetings

can anyone link me to a page where |I can read bout the recommended pad modding for stax 007 mk2 not the mk1, and how the mod affected the sound

are the 007 mk2 pads easy to take off and put back on

also any recommendation for covering the leather headband part with a cover that can clip on the leather part,?

finally, is the headband itself easy to take apart and to be re-assembled back again, in case a new headband is needed, i am bit worried of the leather part of the headband to loosen up badly with continued use as the ribbon or whatever is supporting it is a bit worrying with continuous use, since pads positioning is key so if that ribbon becomes loose i guess say goodbye to getting a proper seal as fit will be difficult to perfect

thanks in advance and sorry for all these noob questions as I just new with stax

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #17,452 of 25,481
I have built a few DIY DACs and they sounded very different indeed. Costs ranged from 2K - 5K.

Measured performance on DACs is one of the big cons in the last 30 years of digital. I am glad I don't read that stuff anymore, it doesn't tally with the sound I hear.

I think there are some misconceptions about DACs, Many think because it is digital it is 'bits are bits' so no loss, and everything sounds that same. That is not true at all. Then we need to consider a DAC is essentially 65% pre-amplifier with a DAC board fitted. I call it a DAC pre-amplifier. So a bit like a phono pre-amplifier, it really has to be a great pre-amplifier to sound good. I challenge anyone to claim all pre-amplifiers sound the same. We need a great PS and a great gain stage for starters to get a great sound out of it. That is just base requirement.

But most folk on here know there is a marked difference between DACs, amplifiers and headphones. It all matters.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #17,453 of 25,481
Have you built a few DIY amps and they sounded very different indeed?

What is your point, astrostar? If you even have one.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #17,454 of 25,481
Have you built a few DIY amps and they sounded very different indeed?

What is your point, astrostar? If you even have one.

Ref back to Pointy Fox posts. Same old arguments, DACs all sound the same Bla Bla.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #17,455 of 25,481
Mar 28, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #17,456 of 25,481
You know, they do say "you can't fix stupid."

Indeed, I was trying to be polite / educate. There are those who go halfway up the mountain and declare they know it all...

I admit life is a constant learning journey, and that is partly why this hobby is so interesting for me personally.

Cory, where are you at now? will you come back to T2 levels at some point? I am loving my Aries Cerat Genus driving the LCD4s right now, it is almost perfect, and I don't use that word lightly.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #17,457 of 25,481
T2 will always serve as the reference, however, I only occasionally listen to headphones these days.

Mar 28, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #17,458 of 25,481
Calling me stupid or implying that I "only went halfway up a mountain" doesn't make your point valid. DACs haven't had a significant improvement since oversampling came out in the 80s. It's well known everywhere else that they sound the same and that no audiophile has ever proven they could tell the difference. Your "golden ears" are definitely questionable at best.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #17,459 of 25,481
Calling me stupid or implying that I "only went halfway up a mountain" doesn't make your point valid. DACs haven't had a significant improvement since oversampling came out in the 80s. It's well known everywhere else that they sound the same and that no audiophile has ever proven they could tell the difference. Your "golden ears" are definitely questionable at best.

It doesn’t matter to us whether or not you can hear a difference. Many of us here can easily hear a difference. Which is why so many people are eager to correct you because to their point of view, you are sharing misguiding information for others that might be reading this.
Notice that i’m not trying to debate you. You are entitled to your own opinion. BTW, I doubt “Golden Ears” would hear any better than flesh covered ears due to resonance.

Mar 28, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #17,460 of 25,481
Indeed, I was trying to be polite / educate. There are those who go halfway up the mountain and declare they know it all...

I admit life is a constant learning journey, and that is partly why this hobby is so interesting for me personally.

Cory, where are you at now? will you come back to T2 levels at some point? I am loving my Aries Cerat Genus driving the LCD4s right now, it is almost perfect, and I don't use that word lightly.

Now come on - you know the Stax 009S with a good tubed headamp and dac are the bees knees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back