The Stax Thread III
Dec 31, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #16,981 of 25,470
Does anyone have any new information or impressions on Spritzer's Octave 2? It's supposedly his lowest-power offering, at 15 watt input, while at the same time having more output power than almost all of Stax's amps. Priced at $1300, it sounds like extremely good value given those specs.
Yeah, I've been waffling about wether I should get this for my L700 or not. Now I'm leaning more towards getting one. Its compact size makes it a good option for a desktop setup. I'm actually thinking of getting the Octave III and use my Questyle cma400i as a preamp. Spritzer says it's a warmer amp, which I think matches well with the L700. I'd also be really interested in reading others impressions of the Octave II / III.

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #16,983 of 25,470
I own the 007 mk1 and 009 but am wondering if I should get the 007 mk2 too. Can anyone comment on any advantages of 007 mk2 over what I already own? Does anyone favor 007 mk2 over mk1?

Here (raises hand). The 007 MkII with spritzer's port mod sits between the Mk1 and the 009, tonally. To my ears, the Mk1 sounds slightly soft, the 009 sounds slightly bright and the Mk 2 is pretty close to tonally neutral. Also, on a brief listen the Focal Utopias seemed to sit, tonally between the Mk2 and the 009, brighter than the Mk 2 and not quite as bright as the 009. I use a specific CD recording to evaluate treble tonal balance, the Melkus Bach Violin Concertos on DG Archiv. On my Quad electrostatics and the Mk 2 with port mod, the violins sound a bit acid, on the Mk I they sound fine, on the 009 they sound too acid (curiously, on the original LP, which I also have, the violin tone sounds fine - that's played with a Shure V15 VMR). Anyway, that's my opinion, for what it's worth. However, I will add that Bob Katz, the noted recording engineer, shares my opinion - look for his impressions on InnerFidelity from Big Sound 2015. Tyll Hertsens was also pretty impressed with a port modded Mk 2.

As a more general comment, since a number of posters have reported that the 009 is more detailed and has a somewhat wider soundstage than the 007 (Mk I or Mk 2), I will note that it is a well known psychoacoustic phenomenon that a brighter sound tends to increase the impression of detail and widen the soundstage. I prefer to get the tonal balance correct (or what I consider correct) first - just my priority. Yes I am aware of EQ. I use it, but only for the bass subwoofer in my biamped speaker systems.

Others may differ. And of course, opinions are like a******s, everyone has one. Yours is the one that counts, but only for you. As someone once said, "You are unique. Just like everyone else."

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #16,984 of 25,470
My impression of the 009 is that it is the king of retrieving details to give the illusion of sound stage with air between instruments (by differentiating direct from reverberant sound) and micro details (like a rosined bow sticking and slipping along a violin string).
You obviously never ever listened to a well amped pair of HE-60 / Baby Orpheus, man :D

Ali

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #16,986 of 25,470
I own the 007 mk1 and 009 but am wondering if I should get the 007 mk2 too. Can anyone comment on any advantages of 007 mk2 over what I already own? Does anyone favor 007 mk2 over mk1?

Just pick up the Stax spc extension cable for your 007 Mk1. It's an inexpensive upgrade and will give you a nice bump in SQ.

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #16,987 of 25,470
[Snip!]
Also, on a brief listen the Focal Utopias seemed to sit, tonally between the Mk2 and the 009, brighter than the Mk 2 and not quite as bright as the 009.
[Snip!]
That’s interesting. I’ve had the 009 and Utopias together for the pat 2 year and to me, the Utopias are brighter than the 009. The Utopias are driven off by the WA8 whilst the 009 by the Electra. Further I’ve found the 009 to have smoother trebles and more open, whilst the Utopia, depending on genre, can sound congested and “busy”.

Jan 4, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #16,989 of 25,470
That’s interesting. I’ve had the 009 and Utopias together for the pat 2 year and to me, the Utopias are brighter than the 009. The Utopias are driven off by the WA8 whilst the 009 by the Electra. Further I’ve found the 009 to have smoother trebles and more open, whilst the Utopia, depending on genre, can sound congested and “busy”.
That tiny soundstage really did the Utopia in for me. I also find the Utopia to be just bright if not brighter than the 009.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #16,990 of 25,470
Utopia has IMHO a "genetically small" soundstage, definitely smaller than 009 with whatever amp I have listened this hps with.

Both hps are really very sensitive to the amp used.

With the right amp, 009 is just tonally perfect IMHO, never fatiguing or unnaturally bright.

Utopia on the other hand alwas retains a slight sense of brightness even with the right amp, I think it's something Focal has engineered on purpose to give that "airy" sensation... I like it, Utopia is definitely my preferred dynamic non-ortho hp, but sometimes I must admit it is a little too bright and with some music also fatiguing.

Jan 4, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #16,992 of 25,470
I've found adding the Stax SPC extension cable opens up the soundstage and adds sparkle to the treble. Remove the extension cable and the 007Mk2 sounds a little dull and compressed.

It's definitely worth trying for the small outlay.
+ 1: the extension cable added something that I liked to my previous 007 mk 2s and current 009S. Reading your comment has helped me to realise that it has added sparkle to the treble:)

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #16,995 of 25,470
I've found adding the Stax SPC extension cable opens up the soundstage and adds sparkle to the treble. Remove the extension cable and the 007Mk2 sounds a little dull and compressed.

It's definitely worth trying for the small outlay.
I've got the Stax SPC extension and I could not for the life of me add any sparkle nor treble to my SR-007 MK1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back