The Stax Thread III
Nov 16, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #16,697 of 25,472
So far none have really come close in speed when the SR-009 is paired with a fast, revealing system, and I would say only the Abyss might have hopes of coming somewhat close. I will find out for sure next month.

Nov 16, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #16,698 of 25,472
Only on Head-Fi is $5000 considered "dirt cheap".

Dude .... a KG-T2 cost about $8K in parts, and whatever brain cells you have to work on it and make it sing....given that one has enough brain cell for it. I just run out of words...lol...if you have a T2, it is a unicorn that just can not easily be found, and years down the road it would still be legendary performer but then it really would have gone extincted as parts can’t be found to build it anymore

How long did it take people to adapt into BHSE and really be jaws dropped over it ?....a long time!

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #16,699 of 25,472
I demoed the Abyss and didn't find anything special about it other than its weird look and lack of comfort.
Dude .... a KG-T2 cost about $8K in parts, and whatever brain cells you have to work on it and make it sing....given that one has enough brain cell for it. I just run out of words...lol...if you have a T2, it is a unicorn that just can not easily be found, and years down the road it would still be legendary performer but then it really would have gone extincted as parts can’t be found to build it anymore

How long did it take people to adapt into BHSE and really be jaws dropped over it ?....a long time!

I... .... What?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #16,701 of 25,472
Is there any planar or dynamics that can match the speed and precision of 009?

when matched with the right amp (and source) Utopia is very close to the speed of the 009, almost at the same level. but it will give you much less soundstage, and some less bass extension and slam... yes, correct :ksc75smile:... IMHO 009 has better bass at least with the T1W while with the GG bass is very similar between the two (with SED =C= .... JJ 6CA7 are on their way home, I will try next week if they can give more bass to the GG)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #16,703 of 25,472
.....IMO the D50 is a really good deal.....and with the SR-009S it sounds fantastic

Here a video from me...it's in German because my English is not the best LOL

NOMAX

Nice setup! How are you connecting the iPad to the amp/DAC? It would be nice to put together a convenient rig like that for my SR-L700 :)

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #16,705 of 25,472
Um...so besides balance, how do different quality pots affect sound? $900 for a passive component seems rather excessive, even for a $7k amp. People have mentioned the "sonic signature" aspect, but to me that's not far from the "normal copper vs .9999999999 purity cryo-crystalline-blahty-blah" claims. Will mere mortal ears detect the difference without having to concentrate on very specific aspects of the sound while listening?

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #16,706 of 25,472
Um...so besides balance, how do different quality pots affect sound? $900 for a passive component seems rather excessive, even for a $7k amp. People have mentioned the "sonic signature" aspect, but to me that's not far from the "normal copper vs .9999999999 purity cryo-crystalline-blahty-blah" claims. Will mere mortal ears detect the difference without having to concentrate on very specific aspects of the sound while listening?

From my experience, yes.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #16,707 of 25,472

On the hierarchy of components most likely to affect the sound (negatively) of an amplifier, particularly one where there are no capacitors in the signal path, the volume control is either #1 or as close to #1 as you can possibly get. That said, I am not sure if I could tell the difference between a high quality TKD volume pot and an Alps RK50 - but then again I never tried building two otherwise identical amplifiers to test this out. But when you are talking the T2, putting in something less is like putting all season tires on a Ferrari.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #16,708 of 25,472
Madness from my young age. Now i' m normal LOL.
Jokes apart the rk50 is really good but a normal blue alps is good too. I like very much the dact stepped attenuator

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #16,710 of 25,472
On the hierarchy of components most likely to affect the sound (negatively) of an amplifier, particularly one where there are no capacitors in the signal path, the volume control is either #1 or as close to #1 as you can possibly get. That said, I am not sure if I could tell the difference between a high quality TKD volume pot and an Alps RK50 - but then again I never tried building two otherwise identical amplifiers to test this out. But when you are talking the T2, putting in something less is like putting all season tires on a Ferrari.

In direct comparison in my GG, I preferred a TKD 2500 to the RK50 I sold you awhile back George. Not exactly apples to apples as the TKD was a 10K impedance and the RK50 a 50K unit. But enough SQ difference for me to let the ALPS pot go. Currently, I’m using a TDK 4CP-601 10K as the shunt element with a naked Vishay Z foil TX-2575 resistor in a series-shunt configuration. Bests everything, even a Slagle autoformer attenuator in that spot.

From my experience absolutely not.

OK.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back