The Stax Thread III
Jul 27, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #15,691 of 25,432
I think his KGSS is definitely not stock so it should be better sounding than the original KGSS. Still I don't think it is comparable to the KGSSHV and BHSE for that matter.

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #15,692 of 25,432
Also think and the headphone the kgss was meant top go with, the original 007, A headphone that tends toward dark, shocking that that amp would make the 009 too bright..

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #15,693 of 25,432
Also think and the headphone the kgss was meant top go with, the original 007, A headphone that tends toward dark, shocking that that amp would make the 009 too bright..

Actually the KGSS (mine was Headamp) is pretty neutral but it was lacking in power and resolution for the SRM-007. The added power on the KGSSHV & Carbon also allowing the SR009 to slam a little harder in the bass as well too.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #15,695 of 25,432

As far as I know, Kevin Gilmore has never designed his amps to be voiced towards one headphone or another, he designs them to be neutral. Which only makes sense, as he has no idea what headphone his amps will be used with.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #15,696 of 25,432
Yeah I thought that was really silly. Praised the SR-009 as one of the best headphones ever with the BHSE, but then basically turned on all electrostats completely based on some sessions with a KGSS. So now anyone who reads the later articles and reviews of Innerfidelity will think that Stax is outdated and too bright/has treble issues, especially his Utopia review where he compared it to Stax just based on memory with the KGSS, painted all electrostats with one brush by suggesting they are all "too bright", giving the impression to users that the Utopia is better but I would suggest it's like a poor man's SR-009 except costs more... Very disingenuous and misleading.
Haha yes, that particular sequence of events with InnerFidelity/Tyll definitely got some of us to turn our heads sideways! Very stupid.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #15,697 of 25,432
How would one describe the incremental sonic benefits between the KGSSHv and the Carbon?
Tonal differences depend on the specific KGSShv variant. But the Carbon leans maybe a little to the bright side - not quite as much as the brightest KGSShv, though.

What the Carbon beats all variants on is: bass slam, soundstage, and detail. It is quite noticeable. The BHSE gives up some of that bass slam and soundstage for the tube midrange and a more neutral tone.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #15,698 of 25,432
As far as I know, Kevin Gilmore has never designed his amps to be voiced towards one headphone or another, he designs them to be neutral. Which only makes sense, as he has no idea what headphone his amps will be used with.
Thanks for posting this! It is, frankly, what I would have suspected, but it is nice to get a real mafia confirmation !-)

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #15,699 of 25,432
What the Carbon beats all variants on is: bass slam, soundstage, and detail. It is quite noticeable. The BHSE gives up some of that bass slam and soundstage for the tube midrange and a more neutral tone.

A few more words on Carbon vs. BHSE? I am quite into bass slam, soundstage and detail, AND really like the sound I am getting from my BHSE, AND have no experience with the Carbon.

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #15,700 of 25,432
Tonal differences depend on the specific KGSShv variant. But the Carbon leans maybe a little to the bright side - not quite as much as the brightest KGSShv, though.

The irony is, according to the description on mjolnir-audio, the Carbon was initially designed to "tame" the top end of the SR-009. But it also describes what happened: instead it graduated into becoming the current pinnacle of solid state electrostatic amp design.

Thanks for the comparison. I am guessing the Grounded Grid is the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #15,701 of 25,432

I think you are right about this. I guess what I meant was that if the main headphone you are using at the time it will have at least some influence.

Individual builders can push things in either direction from neutral to a limited extent too.

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #15,703 of 25,432
A few more words on Carbon vs. BHSE? I am quite into bass slam, soundstage and detail, AND really like the sound I am getting from my BHSE, AND have no experience with the Carbon.
You're good, trust me. Those areas are a little better on Carbon, but the BHSE is no slouch, and personally I slightly preferred the BHSE overall.

@Rossliew the Carbon with 007 is indeed an epic pairing!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #15,704 of 25,432
Yes, the Carbon is definitely an apex for solidstate ampliflier. It slams hard with plenty of dynamics and punch, however, mine still lean toward the bright side. I prefer the tonal balanced of the BHSE overall over the Carbon but agree with @mulveling that the Carbon also has larger soundstage and depth cues.

Jul 28, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #15,705 of 25,432
Yes, the Carbon is definitely an apex for solidstate ampliflier. It slams hard with plenty of dynamics and punch, however, mine still lean toward the bright side. I prefer the tonal balanced of the BHSE overall over the Carbon but agree with @mulveling that the Carbon also has larger soundstage and depth cues.

Is your T2 a distinctive step up from the Carbon /bhse ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back