The Stax SRM-001 mod thread
Oct 1, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #421 of 440
Sorry, i was not answering your post. I had hard time finding the output capacitors for the mod, so i posted a good one from Vishay that is actually in production.
You can check Mouser. They have several brands and types of 2.2uf 350-400v.

Oct 1, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #422 of 440
yeah, Sanyo doesn't seem to have any retail outlets for capacitors in the usa, but there are many other options. look for something with a long life rating.

Oct 2, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #423 of 440
yeah, Sanyo doesn't seem to have any retail outlets for capacitors in the usa, but there are many other options. look for something with a long life rating.

That's why i came here. i could look all day, but I don't quite understand how µF and voltage in capacitors works. voltage I know that higher is better, but µF makes me blank out...

Sorry, i was not answering your post. I had hard time finding the output capacitors for the mod, so i posted a good one from Vishay that is actually in production.
You can check Mouser. They have several brands and types of 2.2uf 350-400v.

Ah I see. your timing was perfect :p

Oct 2, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #424 of 440
Apr 24, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #425 of 440
I have been enjoying my 001 Mk2's since getting them about 3 months ago, but feel they are lacking top end and tend to be a little sibilant when pushed.
I was reading somewhere that I would be able to power the 001 Mk2's off of a pro bias energizer by changing the stock cable out for one off of the likes of a SR-003. Would I be able to run the 001's off of a pro bias energizer, or will it melt the drivers? I can't seem to find the bias voltage for the 001 Mk2's (Although it's probably right infront of me)

I am also debating on doing the SFC mod, as many people seem to really like it. Thanks in advance.

Connor

Apr 28, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #426 of 440
I have been enjoying my 001 Mk2's since getting them about 3 months ago, but feel they are lacking top end and tend to be a little sibilant when pushed.
I was reading somewhere that I would be able to power the 001 Mk2's off of a pro bias energizer by changing the stock cable out for one off of the likes of a SR-003. Would I be able to run the 001's off of a pro bias energizer, or will it melt the drivers? I can't seem to find the bias voltage for the 001 Mk2's (Although it's probably right infront of me)

I am also debating on doing the SFC mod, as many people seem to really like it. Thanks in advance.

Connor
Hey, i have modded the Sr001 mk2 and i am quite happy with it. The output capacitors have huge impact on the sound, so try to find the Vishay ones if you want to stay portable. I am powering the amp with single 14500 Li-ion battery or with wall power supply (a good one)

Apr 28, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #427 of 440

Connor

I'm fairly sure that the SR-001 can be run just fine with the desktop amp and cable from Stax, same bias and all as I recall.

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #429 of 440
Sorry for digging out this old thread but I reactivated my 001 and just ordered all the parts for the mod, I am curios about the schematics but unfortunately the link is not working anymore. Did anyone saved it and can upload again? Thanks very much:

For those that might want to see a schematic of what is going
on here, here is a little something less the power supply.
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/stxp.gif

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #431 of 440
Jan 22, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #432 of 440
Evening fine people, just wondering if the 001mk2 cable srm001 side is somehow fixable, it got bent and now the grounding seems to not be connected properly, everything sounds quiet and hollow, i have a second cable which now doesn't have the right channel, so would love to fix one of them, any tips?

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #433 of 440
It might be easier to make a new custom cable instead of trying to splice two partially broken cables into one functional cable.

See if you can find some teflon insulated wire. 28awg should be plenty thin / flexible enough.

if 24awg is not too thick (I think it probably is, though), Mouser part # 55a0111-24-4 is teflon insulated stranded wire, 600v rated, available in yellow and white.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #434 of 440
It might be easier to make a new custom cable instead of trying to splice two partially broken cables into one functional cable.

See if you can find some teflon insulated wire. 28awg should be plenty thin / flexible enough.

if 24awg is not too thick (I think it probably is, though), Mouser part # 55a0111-24-4 is teflon insulated stranded wire, 600v rated, available in yellow and white.
Making the cable itself isn't an issue, i just need to replicate the damn plug, which idk how to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back