The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #1,656 of 1,866
I haven't listened to Bifrost 2 yet, if that's what you are refering with BF2. You might like to read SBAF forums to learn more about Schiit dacs, almost everybody in those forums are drooling over Schiit dacs.
Ares II is $400 more then Bifrost2. :frowning2:

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #1,659 of 1,866
I am comparing used L300 LTD and new L700Mk2 A to B on SRM-252S. L300 LTD is WAY better! I don’t know why. Maybe my L700Mk2 needs some burn-in or because they have different pads?
They sound different to me. L300 LTD has more intimate vocals, and that is why I fall in love with Stax. L700 has wider soundstage. Also L700 is harsh on treble.

Jun 17, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #1,660 of 1,866
I can get an L700 Mk2.

But, since I have an SR-202, would it be a great improvement to get an L700 Mk2?

My concern is to make a considerable investment and then discover that the gain was only subtle ...
I think the difference will be significant enough that you will be happy with the purchase. However, remember that you're going from an estat to another estat, so the difference will likely not be as big in terms of clarity as going from a dynamic to an estat.

Jun 17, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #1,661 of 1,866
I am comparing used L300 LTD and new L700Mk2 A to B on SRM-252S. L300 LTD is WAY better! I don’t know why. Maybe my L700Mk2 needs some burn-in or because they have different pads?
They sound different to me. L300 LTD has more intimate vocals, and that is why I fall in love with Stax. L700 has wider soundstage. Also L700 is harsh on treble.
You simply prefer the L300 LTD. There is no "objectively better" between the two.

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #1,662 of 1,866
Hey guys!

Sorry I'm late to the stax party here.

I have been working on my own estats for a while now. I was on the lookout for a good deal on a stax set coz frankly I've not had a reference point. I'm getting a used pair of the SRS 5100 system (L500 MK1 & SRM 353x). The condition is good and the seller is asking for about 850 EUR for the set. Is it a good deal? I have no idea how to evaluate this coz I've no way of auditioning them.

This will be used to pass my time on weekends, sometimes fine tuning my drivers and sometimes listening to music in general. Right now I'm using a diy step up trafo based amp for the drivers. I do have a good system otherwise for my non estat headphones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!:):)

Jul 26, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #1,663 of 1,866
Hello again. I've been thinking in getting those Socas3D plastic spacer for my L700 Mk2. I have relatively small ears and they do touch the grill inside each earcup. For L700 the suggest the 6mm, but I think is probably not enough. You can choose them to be 8, 10 and 12mm of thickness.
12mm is probably overkill, I'm torn between 10 and 8mm.
It's not just for the added confort, but I also noticed that by pulling each earcup away from my ears, they sound better for me, even if part of the sound waves leak by the gap between the earcups and the sides of my head. Normally, if my ears are touching the inner grill, it's like my too close to the driver, so much that some of the sound waves just glance off and exit by the plastic grills. This makes me feel like I'm missing something.
Do some of you guys have experience with these spacers?
I'm probably gonna make some mockup spacers with cardoard or even play-doh, just to find the ideal thickness for me.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #1,664 of 1,866
Hello again. I've been thinking in getting those Socas3D plastic spacer for my L700 Mk2. I have relatively small ears and they do touch the grill inside each earcup. For L700 the suggest the 6mm, but I think is probably not enough. You can choose them to be 8, 10 and 12mm of thickness.
12mm is probably overkill, I'm torn between 10 and 8mm.
It's not just for the added confort, but I also noticed that by pulling each earcup away from my ears, they sound better for me, even if part of the sound waves leak by the gap between the earcups and the sides of my head. Normally, if my ears are touching the inner grill, it's like my too close to the driver, so much that some of the sound waves just glance off and exit by the plastic grills. This makes me feel like I'm missing something.
Do some of you guys have experience with these spacers?
I'm probably gonna make some mockup spacers with cardoard or even play-doh, just to find the ideal thickness for me.
Mine opinion is opposite. I think that with any spacers you will loose that Lambda intimate sound. To me L300 pads are the best for sound but not so comfortable. L500 are better comfort but still intimate. L700 pads are the worst for me.
Maybe it's better to move to Omega?

Jul 26, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #1,665 of 1,866
Mine opinion is opposite. I think that with any spacers you will loose that Lambda intimate sound. To me L300 pads are the best for sound but not so comfortable. L500 are better comfort but still intimate. L700 pads are the worst for me.
Maybe it's better to move to Omega?
I guess people have different ears, different hearing. Other people think that the L700 have the best earpads of the series.
The good thing about these spacers if that they aren't a permanent mod or even hard to roll back.
I would love to have enough money for the top of the line Stax earspeakers and energizers. Maybe in a couple or so years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back