The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #1,561 of 1,866
I would concur with @ScubadudeSA. The SRM-353X is a significant step up from the SRM-252S in terms of the benefits that additional voltage brings to the party - more composure when the music gets complex, wider and deeper soundstage and more solidity to the presentation due to better low end and smoother mids. Highs remain just right to my ears with the L500. Wonderful though the little entry level driver is, big brother raises the bar very perceptibly.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #1,564 of 1,866
I prefer the bottom OUTput simply because less cable hang...from a SQ perspective they are identical.
My bad I was referring to headphone/earspeaker outputs, not inputs.

Having said that, do you guys rotate the grills so that the thicker plastic part is on the other side and not touching your ear tips? Or do you guys use an adapter with oval pads?

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #1,565 of 1,866
Of course you were...:wink:

I don't rotate or adapt - L500 is perfectly comfortable for hours at a time.

I must be blessed with petite ears and a similarly modest-sized noggin because I wear them at their smallest setting.

I am also not much of a modder - if a headphone doesn't work for me stock I move on.
On those rare occasions that I have tried a mod it has invariably been for the worse.
Perhaps I just haven't tried the right ones.

Of course your mileage may very well vary and I shan't dissuade you from tinkering should you feel the urge...:wrench:

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #1,566 of 1,866
I would concur with @ScubadudeSA. The SRM-353X is a significant step up from the SRM-252S in terms of the benefits that additional voltage brings to the party - more composure when the music gets complex, wider and deeper soundstage and more solidity to the presentation due to better low end and smoother mids. Highs remain just right to my ears with the L500. Wonderful though the little entry level driver is, big brother raises the bar very perceptibly.
Shame that the 353X is officially discontinued.
They were getting harder to get already. I wanted a 220-230V version but I had to settle with a 100V japanese version. Luckly the dealer included a 220 to 100 v step down power transformer for free. I didn't want the D10, as I didn't feel, and still don't feel, the need for a "portable" amp.
I got my L700 Mk II a week ago, but the 353X will arrive within a week or so. 3 months waiting for this. It really sucks not having official Stax dealers here.
Comfort-wise, I only tried them for a minute. My ears touch the grill a little. Should I be worried about that?
As for mods, I really want to try the blu-tak mod, but not own. I rather enjoy them stock for now.

How the L700 Mk II stack against the Sennheiser HD800S?
For reference I have a tube amp for the HD800S and a Modi 2U DAC (I totally need to get a better DAC).

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #1,567 of 1,866
I have just gotten my first electrostat gear (l500 with 252s). While I enjoy the clarity and the "big sound" (for a lack of words) for this pairing, I find the l500 too bright, like HD800S type of bright. This makes vocal sounds too plastic-ky. I am now wondering if upgrading to l700 will bring back some sweetness to the vocal. An increase of soundstage will be welcomed too, although decreasing the brightness and bringing back some vocal sweetness is first priority, without sacrificing the "big sound" that comes with lambda headphones.
Any help and advice will be welcomed.

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #1,568 of 1,866
I have just gotten my first electrostat gear (l500 with 252s). While I enjoy the clarity and the "big sound" (for a lack of words) for this pairing, I find the l500 too bright, like HD800S type of bright. This makes vocal sounds too plastic-ky. I am now wondering if upgrading to l700 will bring back some sweetness to the vocal. An increase of soundstage will be welcomed too, although decreasing the brightness and bringing back some vocal sweetness is first priority, without sacrificing the "big sound" that comes with lambda headphones.
Any help and advice will be welcomed.
I don't find the L500 bright at all, at the end of a RL Concero - NFB11.32 source into 353X.

What's your source?

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #1,570 of 1,866
I am using Denafrips Ares 2. Definitely not a bright source and I don’t use any silver interconnect. Using the same source I do find l500 and 800S has around the same brightness for vocal.
Then you will absolutely hate Beyer Dynamic heaphones.
Maybe it's the 252S amp that is making the L500 sound bright.
Maybe in two week I will be able to tell whether the L700MkII+SRM353X combo is brighter or warmer than my current HD800S+tube amp combo.
I have the L700, but the amp hasn't arrived.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,571 of 1,866
Guys,

the Stax ear speakers are most definitely tilted towards the hi freq, aka “bright”. It is certainly an acquired taste but once you become adjusted to its presentation you will be able to better appreciate its lightening fast response and its details other headphones just can’t match. Base is also present but comes through cleanly with none of the over hang extended bloating or thickness, for lack of a better word.

I think you will find the 353X will produce better quality sound over it cheaper brother the 252S. But these energizers along with the 727II will still be a bit on the bright presentation side. A proper dac can be a good way of taming this if one needs to. I believe R2Rs are a great direction and compliment to go with. Also Stax does make a tube energizer, the 007TII which I currently own, which I’ve found to be an excellent pairing with my 700s.

So, many good ways to get to a more organic sound but still keep what makes the Stax sound so special.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #1,572 of 1,866
Guys,
the Stax ear speakers are most definitely tilted towards the hi freq, aka “bright”. It is certainly an acquired taste but once you become adjusted to its presentation you will be able to better appreciate its lightening fast response and its details other headphones just can’t match. Base is also present but comes through cleanly with none of the over hang extended bloating or thickness, for lack of a better word.

I think you will find the 353X will produce better quality sound over it cheaper brother the 252S. But these energizers along with the 727II will still be a bit on the bright presentation side. A proper dac can be a good way of taming this if one needs to. I believe R2Rs are a great direction and compliment to go with. Also Stax does make a tube energizer, the 007TII which I currently own, which I’ve found to be an excellent pairing with my 700s. So many ways to get to a more organic sound but still keep what makes the Stax sound so special.
That's right about my alley. That's why I'm looking into getting an R2R DAC in the near future. That's why I'm really considering the Ares II, because of it has NOS and OS modes.
Another option is a tube pre-amp between the DAC and the Stax energizer. My tube headphone amp has RCA pre-amp outs.

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #1,573 of 1,866
That's right about my alley. That's why I'm looking into getting an R2R DAC in the near future. That's why I'm really considering the Ares II, because of it has NOS and OS modes.
Another option is a tube pre-amp between the DAC and the Stax energizer. My tube headphone amp has RCA pre-amp outs.
I have the Ares II in my Stax system. It’s all I needed.

Mar 30, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #1,574 of 1,866
I don't believe this is true.

Technically the 500 is almost identical to the 300 not the 700. The main difference is upgraded pads, cable and for the Mk2 the benefit of detachable cable, metal yoke etc. so you will get improved ergonomics with the 500 but not much improvement in sound - though the thicker pads do change the sound somewhat.

The L700 uses the same stator technology as the Omegas and are technically a leap ahead of the 300 and 500.

Yes. Just because of the pad thickness L300<L500<L700

Yes. Stax has stated no change to the drivers etc, though different clamping from the new yokes could change the sound a little.
When I stay "technical capabilities", I mean in terms of how I subjectively percieve the sound, not the technical aspects of the insides of the physical headphone.

Apr 6, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,575 of 1,866
i am looking for a new headphone, to compliment my he-500.
I am looking for a headphone with a good soundstage, imaging and details. I find that my he-500, are lacking a bit in those areas.
Could that be a l500 or l700?
I have never head Stax before. I am interested in experience the resolution, clarity and speed of Stax.
Is it a big difference from planars?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back