The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #1,411 of 1,866
This is the direction I think Stax has/is gone to based on my reading, e.g. 007 & 009, with more emphasis on a darker more base response. If I wanted a planar type sounding headphone I would have looked elsewhere. Hopefully they will continue to offer both options for future consideration. I’m guessing the new ownership is responsible for widening its public offering.
lol what

SR-007 came out more than 20 years ago, and the 009 is the opposite of dark sounding. Same goes for the lambda line. What I will say is that the new lambda line tries to be more "allround" with a more "refined" sound than the more one trick pony lambdas of yore.

As for the mk2 sounding darker, I seriously doubt it. There is so much silly hearsay that simply isn't true when it comes to Stax. As an example, most "word of mouth" talk is that the L300 and L500 is identical in terms of sound except nicer materials used on the L500, which is simply untrue, which can be easily identified in a blind test or just looking at FR graphs. Another one was that the L500 was almost identical to the older 507, which again is far, far from the case, again easily proven in a blind test or looking at FR graphs. Until I see some measurements, I see no reason to believe people who most likely are imagening things because of placebo/bias.

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #1,412 of 1,866
Audiothief, did you yourself compare l700 and l700mk2
what is the difference in sound exactly, or do they sound identical?

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #1,413 of 1,866
Audiothief, did you yourself compare l700 and l700mk2
what is the difference in sound exactly, or do they sound identical?

I've only heard the L700 mk1, but what I'm saying is that individual testimony, especially when its not A/B'd, is likely to be erronous, especially when it comes to something as niche as the difference between two models of a stax headphone. I'd say its more likely that Stax hasn't changed its sound signature without saying anything, and that the reason for people talking about a difference is because their memory fails them or other biases weighing in to their perception of the sound.

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #1,414 of 1,866
Jun 18, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #1,415 of 1,866
I've only heard the L700 mk1, but what I'm saying is that individual testimony, especially when its not A/B'd, is likely to be erronous, especially when it comes to something as niche as the difference between two models of a stax headphone. I'd say its more likely that Stax hasn't changed its sound signature without saying anything, and that the reason for people talking about a difference is because their memory fails them or other biases weighing in to their perception of the sound.

so your assumptions are right but others are wrong? Just asking.

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #1,416 of 1,866
Jun 18, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #1,417 of 1,866
lol what

SR-007 came out more than 20 years ago, and the 009 is the opposite of dark sounding. Same goes for the lambda line. What I will say is that the new lambda line tries to be more "allround" with a more "refined" sound than the more one trick pony lambdas of yore.

As for the mk2 sounding darker, I seriously doubt it. There is so much silly hearsay that simply isn't true when it comes to Stax. As an example, most "word of mouth" talk is that the L300 and L500 is identical in terms of sound except nicer materials used on the L500, which is simply untrue, which can be easily identified in a blind test or just looking at FR graphs. Another one was that the L500 was almost identical to the older 507, which again is far, far from the case, again easily proven in a blind test or looking at FR graphs. Until I see some measurements, I see no reason to believe people who most likely are imagening things because of placebo/bias.

Thank you for the timeline. Nothing much to do with my post.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #1,418 of 1,866
The 009 capture 90% of what I am looking for. As we know, the 009 is detailed, fast, clean and often minimizes bass. If I wanted more a neutral, warm and more bass as an electrostrat what HP would be a complementary HP to my current inventory? Type of music I listen to is Prog Metal, electronic, new age, vocals, depends on the mood.

007 Mk2. I have the BHSE with miniwatt EL34s. I have to brighten mine up with the Stax silver plated extension cord, I think it's the same one in your 009. Before you spend any dollars on a new headphone, have you tried HQplayer? It might given the a significant lift in sound quality for very little dollars, unless you're looking for a different flavor.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #1,419 of 1,866
so your assumptions are right but others are wrong? Just asking.

When Stax updates their product with purely QoL-changes to the exterior, and says nothing about sound, it makes zero sense that the sound will change. To say that some individual testimonies aren't to be trusted in hifi when there is no other reason to believe there is a change to the sound is not an "assumption". As for the "timeline", it has everything to do with your post because you're saying that the 009 is a dark, bass heavy headphone and that proves the direction of the company, which is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #1,421 of 1,866
Review from HeadAmp website;

“With improved bass response and a tamed treble peak relative to the original SR-009, the SR-009S is STAX's latest effort to produce the world’s best headphone. With updated drivers, pads, and other housing pieces, the SR-009S is a step forward while still retaining much of the character of the original. We recommend our Blue Hawaii SE amplifier for the highest level of performance possible from these amazing headphones.”

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #1,422 of 1,866
Review from HeadAmp;

“The STAX SR-007MK2 headphone is the updated version of the classic SR-007 “Omega II”, with a black finish and slightly different driver. The sound is the warmest, lushest sound of any STAX with an emphasis on the mid-to-lower frequencies without a loss of high end detail. It is a more relaxed sound signature compared to the more detail-forward SR-009 models. Like the SR-009s, we recommend our Blue Hawaii SE to amplify your SR-007MK2, to hear the very best of what they are capable of as a demanding, large-driver electrostatic.”

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #1,424 of 1,866
Hi my L700 mk1 broke twice, Stax told me the yokes from the Mk2 won't fit the old type. I fear they will know what they say. Best wishes Y
I received the same answer from the local distributor but after my daughter broke the plastic case holder again and after staring at the pictures showing the connection between the case holder and the headband for some time, I decided to order MKII case holders. They are a direct replacement and came with new screw sets (screw, o-ring, washers and tube). Even the screws and washers are the same, the only difference is the small tube that is placed inside the plastic mounting piece that attaches to the headband, which is 1 or 2 mm longer.

Jul 3, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #1,425 of 1,866
I received the same answer from the local distributor but after my daughter broke the plastic case holder again and after staring at the pictures showing the connection between the case holder and the headband for some time, I decided to order MKII case holders. They are a direct replacement and came with new screw sets (screw, o-ring, washers and tube). Even the screws and washers are the same, the only difference is the small tube that is placed inside the plastic mounting piece that attaches to the headband, which is 1 or 2 mm longer.
So it's fully compatible? The only real difference between the MKI and MKII then are the removable cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back