The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #1,186 of 1,866
How your 009s sound compared to the L300 L ?

Absolutely no comparison. The 009S are in a league of their own.

I also own a pair of Utopias. I agree with what several others have said - once you listen to a top pair of electrostatics even the Utopia has difficulty competing (although it is good :) ).

I originally (and still might) keep the L300Limited for collector purposes however, as truth be told, I pick up the 009S over them each and every time.

Feb 2, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #1,187 of 1,866
Absolutely no comparison. The 009S are in a league of their own.

I also own a pair of Utopias. I agree with what several others have said - once you listen to a top pair of electrostatics even the Utopia has difficulty competing (although it is good :) ).

I originally (and still might) keep the L300Limited for collector purposes however, as truth be told, I pick up the 009S over them each and every time.

Collecting Stax earspeakers sounds like a beautiful and exciting hobby.

Feb 2, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #1,188 of 1,866
Now as far as the 009 vs L700, I haven't seen comparable FR curves but I wouldn't be surprised if the L700 has a bit more output in that 2-4 kHz range than the 009, which would make it subjectively easier to drive.

It has slightly less. https://www.inexxon.com/ has a full measurement database on most things Stax, diffuse field compensated. L700 is here, and this is the SR-009.

To my ears, the L700 is slightly laid back 2-5khz, like the 007 but not nearly to the same extent. I don't really hear the upper mids as muffled with music, but it is audible with a sine sweep. At the same time, there is an occasional bit of midrange shout at higher volumes. No idea why. It's better than previous Lambdas in that regard though.

Feb 2, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #1,189 of 1,866
It has slightly less. https://www.inexxon.com/ has a full measurement database on most things Stax, diffuse field compensated. L700 is here, and this is the SR-009.

To my ears, the L700 is slightly laid back 2-5khz, like the 007 but not nearly to the same extent. I don't really hear the upper mids as muffled with music, but it is audible with a sine sweep. At the same time, there is an occasional bit of midrange shout at higher volumes. No idea why. It's better than previous Lambdas in that regard though.

Hm, interesting. I stand corrected.

Feb 5, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #1,190 of 1,866
Hello all I am new tho the world of electrostatic headphones and just bought a pair of Stax SR-L700s and thus far love everything I am hearing from them. The only thing I dislike is the feeling that everytime I pick them up I am going to break the bloody headband yoke. Anyone know of a headband upgrade for these preferably made with metal of some sort?

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #1,191 of 1,866
Hello all I am new tho the world of electrostatic headphones and just bought a pair of Stax SR-L700s and thus far love everything I am hearing from them. The only thing I dislike is the feeling that everytime I pick them up I am going to break the bloody headband yoke. Anyone know of a headband upgrade for these preferably made with metal of some sort?
Hi I broke my yoke, when I layed the headphone down. I did not even drop them. To repair them is 55 euro. I bought them in Japan so there is no guarantee. I quit Qobuz for a while until I have them fixed. They sound well but what a construction, I have no words for it.

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,193 of 1,866
Hi I broke my yoke, when I layed the headphone down. I did not even drop them. To repair them is 55 euro. I bought them in Japan so there is no guarantee. I quit Qobuz for a while until I have them fixed. They sound well but what a construction, I have no words for it.

At that much cost, you might as well repair it yourself, or buy a replacement arch. I repaired mine with lots of hot glue. Works perfectly, but looks a bit funny now.

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #1,194 of 1,866
At that much cost, you might as well repair it yourself, or buy a replacement arch. I repaired mine with lots of hot glue. Works perfectly, but looks a bit funny now.
Thank you, yes I have a hot glue gun, is that strong enough? Not superglue, but hot glue. Then I can listen music again very welcome of course. The surface to glue of the broken yoke is not that large. Maybe splints? :) Thank you hi, Yoram

Feb 13, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,195 of 1,866
Thank you, yes I have a hot glue gun, is that strong enough? Not superglue, but hot glue. Then I can listen music again very welcome of course. The surface to glue of the broken yoke is not that large. Maybe splints? :) Thank you hi, Yoram

It's strong enough, if you use enough. Once the hot glue cools, it becomes just a flexible plastic. I don't use the hot glue as a glue per se, but more as a "brace." It's a 2-step process. The first step is to hold the two pieces together with superglue. Once that is done, the next step is to plaster the area around the break with a very thick and lengthy layer of hot glue. The superglue itself is completely useless, except to prep for the 2nd step. Once you start wearing the headphones again, the superglue will certainly eventually lose its bond; but that's okay, because it's the hot glue that ultimately holds everything together. The end result will not be pretty, but it'll be functional nonetheless. By the way, since you're fixing the yoke, and not the flexing part of the arch, I recommend shoe goo over hot blue, since shoe goo is much stiffer. Hot glue works fine for the yoke, too, but you'll have to use a lot of it, since it is a flexible material, whereas you want the yoke to be stiff.

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #1,198 of 1,866
The driver is slightly taller but horizontally much thinner. I do think the L700 is an absolutely amazing headphone though, very musically enjoyable and really just absorbs you into the music. The 009 / 009S don't quite have the addictive and rocking tone that the L700 has but their detail retrieval is incredible along with separation. L700 is a pretty intimate presentation but the 009/009S push it out a lot and never really sound intimate even when the music calls for it (which is part of the reason I got rid of my 009S). 007A/007Mkii/007 I felt still exhibited more details than the L700 by quite the margin but while the L700 is very detailed, its one of the more smoothed over in the detail departments as far as the higher end Stax are concerned (not a bad thing just a subjective thing when we are talking about as much detail that is present in all of these headphones). Now something that is interesting is because of the shape of the L700 driver its almost like the separation is much lesser because the size of instruments are way bigger sounding than the 009S. As if you were sitting right next to the instrument a foot away playing. I think this is what Zeos is hearing when he says the L700 "sounds bigger". But on a scale thing the 009S/009 sound bigger in the orchestra sense of the word. Its like sitting in a circle of the instruments but they are all about 10 feet away from you. They sound much more separated but the sound is more distant, instruments dont have that "full" powerful sound that the L700 exhibits. It sounds more real and closer to reproducing live music. For what its worth I think the 009S was an amazing orchestrat,classical,quartet,ambient etc.... headphone but the L700s tone and intimate presentation was just more enjoyable for Rock, Metal, HipHop, Alternative etc.... which Is what I mostly listen to. Oh also weirdly the 009S was really REALLY good at electronic music, the bass texture on that headphone is absolutely insane and breathtaking.

Oh i agree with you for the L700. I can't speak english very well but, for me, the L700 sound like real life, and i was disappointed when I heard the 009 with good amp for the first time. Yes the 009 has more details, but this sense of detail is not realistic (like the Focal, Utopia), visually it just add contrast to the source, it's impressive and i understand why people can love it, but it's not realistic.

The l700 do nothing to the source, it's honest, sounds so ethereal and vivids. It's not the soundstage, i can hear this celestial sound when i use the L700 like a speakers not on my head. As speaker, the 009 still don't have this sound. It's not the frequency response, and i think the L700 lack of bass quantity is real. No, it's about the texture of sound, the L700 is unique to my ear, on my head this headphone disappear and let me alone with the music.
I'm happy, the best sound headphone to my ear is not so expensive. I think electrostatic elitist has to reconsider this high-end Lambda. They don't know, because is not officially the Stax flagship, but it is.

I would like to add that L700 is tonality is a ahead of 009s/009/700 on most instruments except piano maybe. I agree while 009s/009/007 are more technically capable headphones(except instruments tonality), they are just a little better details on frequency spectrum on an already diminishing return over l700/l300le. The way l700 portrait instrument around the head is so amazing I have yet to find another headphone. hifiman oval shaped headphone do have similar sound stage but they are dynamically lacking. I agree to both comments above. For me l700 instrument sound real compared to any other headphone even compared to 009s/009/700/ regardless of their technicalities. They got the tone sooo right better than other stax or any other headphone I know of. only campfire solaris get close enough or better maybe? solaris and l700 are very similar sounding in tonality

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #1,199 of 1,866
can i ask what is a better amp with l300 limited edition or l700, the srm323s or 353x, whats the difference between those two amps sound wise, i have the srm323s would it be an okay amp for those l300 le or l700

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #1,200 of 1,866
can i ask what is a better amp with l300 limited edition or l700, the srm323s or 323x, whats the difference between those two amps sound wise, i have the srm323s would it be an okay amp for those l300 le or l700
I don't know the 323x does it exist? You are not confused with the 353x? I had the 323A with the L700 and I wanted an upgrade to the T1S which is almost the same machine as the srm 006ts I heared. People use the 353X but I don't know how good it is. Someone? What is better the 006ts or the 353x? I don't mind the tuby sound. Best wishes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back