The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Oct 26, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #1,126 of 1,866
So, I got the L700 + SRM-323S yesterday, and they sound awesome! However, it’s undeniable that they have none of the head-shaking rumble of my HE-500 planars when playing a 20 Hz test tone.

I think I read somewhere that this can be due to a steep bass rolloff below 50 Hz due to the L700’s seal (or lack thereof).

Is there a simple mod that could improve its low bass response? I tried EQ’ing but it didn’t really make much of a difference (there’s not much you can do if the real problem is a lack of physical seal).

Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #1,127 of 1,866
Did you try different headphone positions on your head - there might be one with better seal
Normally hp should be at position 7.30 o'clock if a personlooks from the right side to the left side of your head.

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,128 of 1,866
So, I got the L700 + SRM-323S yesterday, and they sound awesome! However, it’s undeniable that they have none of the head-shaking rumble of my HE-500 planars when playing a 20 Hz test tone.

I think I read somewhere that this can be due to a steep bass rolloff below 50 Hz due to the L700’s seal (or lack thereof).

Is there a simple mod that could improve its low bass response? I tried EQ’ing but it didn’t really make much of a difference (there’s not much you can do if the real problem is a lack of physical seal).

Thanks
It's not way simple but I'm using non stock pads so I forewent the mounting mechanism in favor of double sided tape. It has better extension and I did get the STAX fart which is indicative of a good seal

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,129 of 1,866
It's not way simple but I'm using non stock pads so I forewent the mounting mechanism in favor of double sided tape. It has better extension and I did get the STAX fart which is indicative of a good seal
Which pads? Do your L700 now reach all the way down to 20 Hz? Thanks

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #1,130 of 1,866
Which pads? Do your L700 now reach all the way down to 20 Hz? Thanks
I have custom made pads non retail. They get pretty close but they have a sub bass hump around 30 to 40hz but they have a lot more rumble than stock.

The extension is more a side effect of sealing the baffle with double sided tape than the pads. It effectively removes the port so can be done with stock pads

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #1,131 of 1,866
The extension is more a side effect of sealing the baffle with double sided tape than the pads. It effectively removes the port so can be done with stock pads

Why did STAX leave it unsealed by default? I see no reason for weakening the earspeakers' bass extension.

Thanks

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #1,133 of 1,866
The roll off may have more to do with the attachment mechanism than the pads. I haven't figured out a way to seal off that gap yet without doing something that might be either too difficult to apply or remove. Best idea I have at the moment is to scotch tape the inner wall. I'm also considering the idea that the diaphragm itself may be too taut for perfect bass extension.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #1,134 of 1,866
Does anyone else have this issue with a stax l700 - cable creaks when moving the head
With headphone on your head - it is even louder
STAX does not know about this feature/bug and has no solution therefore

Other similar problems with Stax L700

Stax does not fix this problem - they say, it is normal and quality level of stax l300, l500, l700 series

Come on stax, that is really buggy, i am sure you can do it any better.
This is not professional quality made in japan

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #1,136 of 1,866
It's the result of the plastic material and light-weight design they decided to use. Just be gentle with your Stax, and you won't run into issues. When it comes to plastic, you can have light-weight, or strength—never both.

Doesn't Stax make a metal housing L700 for the German market?

Would be nice if they introduced that to all L700s as standard, considering the price.

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #1,137 of 1,866
It's the result of the plastic material and light-weight design they decided to use. Just be gentle with your Stax, and you won't run into issues. When it comes to plastic, you can have light-weight, or strength—never both.

Isn't plastic always light weight?

Nov 25, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #1,138 of 1,866
Doesn't Stax make a metal housing L700 for the German market?

Would be nice if they introduced that to all L700s as standard, considering the price.
*blinks* Never heard of a metal L700. But just because I've never heard of it, doesn't mean it might not exist, I guess.

Nov 25, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #1,139 of 1,866
Isn't plastic always light weight?

Somewhat true, which is to say plastic is always (relatively) weak. Well, at least it's dirt cheap, can be easily colored and finished, and doesn't corrode. However, I don't think Stax should charge an arm and a leg for their plastic replacement parts that obviously cost pennies to manufacture.

I fixed my L300 arch when it snapped on me 2 weeks ago. Please be careful about how you take these headphones off your head. Slide it forward, rather than stretching it apart. Mine looks kinda odd now, but thankfully, I don't care about cosmetics, but I know most of the community does; and they would hate to pay extravagant prices for a replacement arch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back