1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by crazychile, Oct 27, 2015.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Next

Last
  1. Kiats

That's a tough question. It also depends on what you are driving the HD800 with vs what you are driving the L700 with. Underpowered, most cans end up sounding bright and closed. 

Let me give it a shot: my HD800 is driven by the Cavalli Liquid Gold. What I find is that the HD800 is wonderfully detailed, nuanced and has a wider soundstage, the L700 is probably more effortlessly  musical and enjoyable, while not being that far behind in terms of details. There is also an effortless depth and density to the sound. I am not quite sure we are comparing apples with apples here. At least that's what I think. 

To back up my point that it is not really a like for like comparison, neither cans are going anywhere any time soon. [​IMG]

Zoide, treebug and Currawong like this.
  2. Nekrosov
    @Kiats

1. Is it possible to briefly compare L700, HE-6 and LCD-2, please?
    2. Which amp do you use to power L700 and HE-6?

Thanks in advance

3. el dente
    Comparing the L700 to the HD800, the L700 is musical, natural sounding, and very enjoyable to listen to. It is voiced similar to the Stax SR009. However, It does not have the very large and solid soundstage, over all  impact or spacial separations that the HD800 presents.They are totally different sounding headphones.

Although similar sounding, the L700 is not close to the Stax SR009 in terms of detail. transparency, soundstage, nuance, dynamic range or over all presentation. In my opinion, the presentation of the HD800, although clearly very different from that of the Stax SR009, is much closer to being able to be considered an equal to the SR009 than the L700 would be.  The presentation from my 1990s vintage SR007 headphones is also preferable to me than that of the L700.

For your information I am running all three Stax headphones through a BHSE amplifier, and the Sennheiser headphones through HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 and Woo WA2 amps.

Zoide likes this.
  4. Kiats

Nice rig you have there. Agree with your observations. :)

5. Kiats

The HE6 is one of the best orthodynamic cans around. At least in my book. I actually have 2. While it is open, detailed and dynamic, it is also very nuanced. Compared to it, the L700 is more closed, somewhat darker in tonality and not as extended in its range.

As for the LCD2, the soundstage is small but as a consequence the sound is dense. Think of a wall of sound. Musical and nice but somewhat limited.

I run the HE-6 off the Cavalli LAu on high gain, and the L700 off the Cavalli LL2 or the VAW8PS.

Just my thoughts. :)

6. HiFiGuy528
    NEW! STAX SR-L700 in stock and ready to ship. Get yours today at http://wooaudio.com/headphones/stax/srl700.html before they're all gone!

12355816_1636456386621263_2029002226_o.jpg

7. ToroFiestaSol
    Anyone heard the new L500 with the 353X?
    I'm very interested on that model, the L700 are out of my reach (I can save 3 or 4 months for the L500 and 353x combo but L700 is too expensive for me).

I'm also curious on warranty of Stax products, because I read the if you buy them from Japan, warranty only applies in Japan? Is that correct?
    On Elusive disc, the price of the L500 and 353x combo isn't so expensive, like a 200 dollars difference, I would like to know if any european distributor will have Stax at realistic prices (not two times more expensive than in Japan, and in €, not pounds).

Another question, do 230v versions of the Stax amps exist? Or they're only 100v and you must buy an electrical transformer to use them in Europe?

Sorry for my english, I would be glad if someone answers me those questions :)

8. buffalobill
    From what i have seen, you won´t save a whole lot if you buy from japan if you consider warranty and all. But some models like the SRS-2170 goes very cheap.

9. ToroFiestaSol

http://www.hi-stands.eu/en/stax-srs-2170.html

899€ in Europe :frowning2:
    Converting the price form PriceJapan (46.000 yen) with Google, it costs 345€, if you add the 40% of the value (taxes, customs, delivery to Europe), it costs 500€.
    Almost double of the price including taxes in Europe...

10. doyouknowSBmean
    I just can't agree more. I owned HE1000 Abyss LCD3 for months and I still consider HE6s the best planar headphone ever made.

11. izzard1982
    It's rare to see VAW 8PS's name coming up here, Kiats, do you know Mr. Ye?

12. Kiats

Indeed! It's a pity but I understand there aren't that many around. Sadly, no, I don't know Mr Ye.

13. Keithpgdrb
    So then. If I have a sr-lambda and airbow sc1, the he6 might be a nice addition then. I've got lots of speaker amps laying around

14. edstrelow Contributor
    Do these new Staxen use foam damping behind the drivers, i.e. on the outside, away from the ears.

15. noxa
    Do we think the 323S is enough amp for the L700?

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Next

Last