The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by crazychile, Oct 27, 2015.
First

Back
41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61
Next

Last
  1. luvmusik
    Cool link, thank you, I'll dig around over there also. Appreciate your time, gotta bounce for now, be back on the rebound. :beerchug:

2. wuwhere Contributor
    There's a minimum pcb build so its a group buy from the pcb maker.

3. luvmusik
    OK, saw something online about the group buy, it makes sense now. Gotta run for now.Thanks. :beerchug:

4. wuwhere Contributor
    You can put a wtb for a pcb. Some builders buy extra boards that they may not use.

5. luvmusik
    @wuwhere
    Thanks, good point.

@JimL11
    Just mentioning 1 more here we missed from the comprehensive estat amp list. The MSB Technology "Select Headphone Amplifier", and wonder if you analyzed the internal schematics somehow on this one. Likely overkill for L700, or really anything else, at its $38K pricetag. However only thing read so far is that 1 fellow (read at the other place) heard it with 009 and said it elevated 009 above any known amp he paired 009 with.

For that insane bag of dough I'd buy a car though or better yet invest it for myself instead of it investing for someone else, however posted as it is interesting. Of interest is the sound signature is said to be much different than BHSE or KGSSHV.

6. Thaudiophile
    I have read on HC that the Msb amp is an overpriced garbage with horrible specs. I might be wrong though.

7. luvmusik
    ...and that's what makes it unjustified for what they're asking for it if the sound cannot be validated. Wonder if anyone got a look inside 'er to see what's in there.

8. wuwhere Contributor
    You can also put a wtb for a KGSSHV.

9. luvmusik
    It's a good idea, bought 4 Staxen/Airbow/Illusion (+1 Smeggy TP-1 too) here and everyone was absolutely wonderful. We're all pretty tight, especially Stax crew, we are a scurvy bunch. It's great to to be able to count on each other respectfully. Our hobby is captivating and everyone's passion is evident.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  10. JimL11
    @JimL11
    Just mentioning 1 more here we missed from the comprehensive estat amp list. The MSB Technology "Select Headphone Amplifier", and wonder if you analyzed the internal schematics somehow on this one. Likely overkill for L700, or really anything else, at its $38K pricetag. However only thing read so far is that 1 fellow (read at the other place) heard it with 009 and said it elevated 009 above any known amp he paired 009 with.

For that insane bag of dough I'd buy a car though or better yet invest it for myself instead of it investing for someone else, however posted as it is interesting. Of interest is the sound signature is said to be much different than BHSE or KGSSHV.[/QUOTE]

Re: the MSB,solid state, no schematics that I am aware of. However, Kevin Gilmore took a guess at the topology and came up with the CFA (current feedback amplifier) - electrostatic (he also has a CFA for dynamic headphones), and I believe it's one of his less expensive electrostatic amps. Someone who built one said it does sound somewhat different from his other amps. Anyway, if you look at the internal pic of the MSB posted on their website, in the lower left corner there is a resistor just hanging in the air. That may be an acceptable kludge in a $1000 amp, but even then, it is not ideal. In a $38K amp, it is just ridiculous.

11. luvmusik
    Good call Jim, thought it was worth mentioning just for inclusive purposes since all estat amp mfrs were listed. Thanks for pointing out navigation for difference in sound & internals, knew we could count on you.

For all to check out there is a super article published in AudioXpress July 2017 re: modded Stax SRM-T1/T1S/006 written by JimL11, really great reading & effective, applied insight.

Our Stax bunch camaraderie is strong even during dissention in rewarding discussion - all good buddies & gals.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  12. powertoold
    Hey everyone, it's been a while since I posted anything about headphones, but I just received a Stax l700 today. I strongly prefer my naked Lambda Nova signature over the Stax l700. I found out that the Stax l700 headband works for my Lambda Nova signature, and my Lambda Nova signature just sounds so much better than the l700.

I am using an SRM MK1 Mark 2 professional amplifier, listening to Apple music through a Bluetooth receiver. I know that sounds ridiculous but trust me there is little loss of fidelity.

The l700 sounds a lot more tame compared to my Lambda Nova signature, but that is at the expense of clarity. It may have something to do with the fact that I removed all of the foam in my Lambda Nova signature and reglued the drivers back to the ear plates.

The l700 sounds a lot more like Dynamic headphones to me compared to my Lambda Nova signature (I tried the hd800s with Sennheiser totl amp 3 days ago at the SF store and didn't like it compared to my lns).

I really wanted to like the l700 because the lamba nova signature is no longer made and is so hard to come by. But I have to say that the Lambda Nova signature is more intimate and unveiled compared to the l700.

At this stage of audio fidelity we are talking about very subtle differences, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Jones Bob likes this.
  13. Hubert481
    Let it burnin for 50 hours and try again

14. Jones Bob
    STAX earspeakers don’t burn-in.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  15. powertoold
    Yes, I'm starting to be very confident in my assessment. The naked LNS has a level of clarity and engagement that the l700 can't match. Don't get me wrong, both of these headphones are absolutely fantastic, and somebody who hasn't heard both of these headphones will be very very satisfied with the 700.

At this point I'm trying to get my hands on a replacement L 500 / L 700 headband so that I can compare the two headphones without having to switch the headband around. The original headband on the LNS is atrocious.

The fact that a 23 year-old LNS sounds better to me than a new l700 is testament to the electrostatic technology and Stax engineering. It's also a testament to the kinds of superlatives we use to describe audio technology and subjective assessments of sound. I watched the Z review of the l700 on YouTube and was expecting some new level of audio Fidelity with the l700, but I'm quite disappointed.

Again, the l700 is an awesome sounding headphone. I just happen to like my naked LNS more, and I think that anybody who listens to both of these will agree that the LNS sounds more engaging and clear.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Jones Bob likes this.
First

Back
41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61
Next

Last