The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #61 of 1,866
Can anyone compare the SR-L700's sound stage to other headphones that are great in this regard?

Quote:
  I own the L-700, and I think they're great. Paired with the 006ts Kimik Energiser. 

FWIW, I think the L-700 are very close to the 009, which I once owned. Perhaps I prefer the L-700 but the 009 were a while back. Prefer the 009 build though. 

I would expect the two to be much closer on the 006ts.  

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #63 of 1,866
  When I had the 009, I had the 007tii kimik. 

To be honest that doesn't change my expectations.  The SR-009's performance with Stax amps is well documented.  A few in this thread tried both on much higher end amps, saying the L700 scale nearly as much as the SR-007 or SR-009 but that's expected.

Also, if someone could compare and contrast the SR-L700 to the SR-Sigma Pro I'd be very grateful!

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #64 of 1,866
I wrote to STAX directly regarding the differences of : SR-L500, SR-L700 and SR-507 all comparatively. Here is their answer quoted:

"The SR-507 and SR-L500 are rather similar. The major difference is the outer housing has been re-designed along with the earpad and how they mount. (first design change since the 70's) The angle of the sound panel are slightly different and the cable switched from silver plated copper to Hitachi's new HiFC cable. The SR-507 will be discontinuing in a few months and replaced by SR-L500 sometime next year".

"On the other hand the SR-L700 uses SR-009 sound panel technology (3 layer stainless etch vs. 1 layer on the L-500) and housed in the new re-designed outer housing. Cables are silver plated OFC copper".

"The L-500 have similar sound characteristic to the 507 but the L700 is a league above the rest of the Lambda with much smoother, balanced sound. We feel the L700 is "baby 009" and the best Lambda model to date".

Hope this helps anyone wondering about the comparative differences. No mention of 007 was given in conversation. Good info from STAX, it clears up some things.

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #65 of 1,866
  I wrote to STAX directly regarding the differences of : SR-L500, SR-L700 and SR-507 all comparatively. Here is their answer quoted:

"The SR-507 and SR-L500 are rather similar. The major difference is the outer housing has been re-designed along with the earpad and how they mount. (first design change since the 70's) The angle of the sound panel are slightly different and the cable switched from silver plated copper to Hitachi's new HiFC cable. The SR-507 will be discontinuing in a few months and replaced by SR-L500 sometime next year".

"On the other hand the SR-L700 uses SR-009 sound panel technology (3 layer stainless etch vs. 1 layer on the L-500) and housed in the new re-designed outer housing. Cables are silver plated OFC copper".

"The L-500 have similar sound characteristic to the 507 but the L700 is a league above the rest of the Lambda with much smoother, balanced sound. We feel the L700 is "baby 009" and the best Lambda model to date".

Hope this helps anyone wondering about the comparative differences. No mention of 007 was given in conversation. Good info from STAX, it clears up some things.

Was this from Stax Japan or Stax USA?  

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #67 of 1,866
"We feel the L700 is "baby 009" and the best Lambda model to date".

I'm looking forward to reviews on the L700, especially with 009 comparisons to verify just how close they really are to the flagship.

I'm about 3/4 of the way done saving for the 009 and I wonder if I should just say screw it and get the L700 right now. But honestly, think it's better to be disciplined and get the 009, so I won't catch the upgrade bug again. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #68 of 1,866

Thanks very much for contacting Stax.
Interesting reply!

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #69 of 1,866
Hi, this is my first post on head-fi. I have tested the L500 and L700 first at the recent Fujiya Avic headphone festival in Nakano in October, and then again yesterday at Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku. When I first tried the L700 at the headphone festival my immediate thoughts were they nailed the tone, it doesn't have the grating treble of the SR-009 and isn't darkish like the SR-007. It sounded just right. I then switched to the L500 and thought that it sounded muddy in comparison. I know, quite a statement to say about Stax but these were my initial impressions. I was testing the L500 and L700 on the SRM-353X and the SRM-006tA.

Currently I run a 007 Mk2 off the SRM-007tA, female vocals are stunning. I spent quite a bit of time at Yodobashi testing the L700, L500 and SR-507. Firstly, it's obvious after testing that the L700 is a very high end headphone, it's voiced well to the 353X and is satisfying but does sound a little thin. The L700 and the SRM-007tA do not sound good together, there's just no synergy and the music sounds lifeless with no body or grip.

The L500 sounds good with both the SRM-353X and SRM-007tA, however it's a very noticeable step down in terms of tone and resolution. After trying the L700, it would be hard to purchase the L500 knowing the L700 just needs the right amplification. I also tested the 507 and will say it's on par with the L500, the main difference is the width of the soundstage, the L500 has a wider soundstage with a more balanced sound and less treble. My view is the L700 would be a no brainer with the right amplification.  

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #70 of 1,866
Thanks very much Michael T, your words are the first I've read re the L500 other than specs.  Can I ask you for more impressions re the L500. What can you say to someone who owns a B&W P7, Hifiman HE 400, and the Lamda Nova basic system, and has heard Senn 650 and AKG 702 extensively. I and i'm sure many others, would appreciate any info you can provide, especially as you're the first and only source. TIA.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #71 of 1,866
Can anyone share any thoughts/comparisons about the L700's sound stage?  I have no experience with Lambdas but they are said to have a very narrow, small sound stage and I wonder if this applies to the L700.  I have listened to many headphones so I'm open to any comparison that can be provided.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #72 of 1,866
Just had a chance to listen to these, and I will say, that these headphones are definitely worth their asking price. The 500 is about half the price of the 700, and a clear step down in resolution. Tonally it is lusher, richer, yet the midrange does not smear the sound and it retains a clean edge to the sound despite the richer tonality. The 700 is very slightly less soupy. All in all going from dark to bright it would be in this order 007 mk2 --> L500 --> L700 --> 009.

The 009 is definitely still the king in terms of resolution and technicalities, but many people find it bright. In my opinion. Tonally, the 500 and 700 are some of the most tonally accurate headphones I've heard, and yes I've heard most top of the lines too.

Another interesting thing to note is the change of the EarPads. Both have refreshed EarPads which are significantly better fitting and more comfy than that of the old lambdas. The 700 especially has really nice EarPads. The old lambdas tend to sit on your ear more because of how shallow they are, but the new ones, especially the 700, give a nice circum aural seal. The build quality is definitely improved too.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #73 of 1,866
Just had a chance to listen to these, and I will say, that these headphones are definitely worth their asking price. The 500 is about half the price of the 700, and a clear step down in resolution. Tonally it is lusher, richer, yet the midrange does not smear the sound and it retains a clean edge to the sound despite the richer tonality. The 700 is very slightly less soupy. All in all going from dark to bright it would be in this order 007 mk2 --> L500 --> L700 --> 009.

The 009 is definitely still the king in terms of resolution and technicalities, but many people find it bright. In my opinion. Tonally, the 500 and 700 are some of the most tonally accurate headphones I've heard, and yes I've heard most top of the lines too.

Another interesting thing to note is the change of the EarPads. Both have refreshed EarPads which are significantly better fitting and more comfy than that of the old lambdas. The 700 especially has really nice EarPads. The old lambdas tend to sit on your ear more because of how shallow they are, but the new ones, especially the 700, give a nice circum aural seal. The build quality is definitely improved too.

What do you think about the 007 vs L700 sonically?

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #74 of 1,866

If you don't mind, how do you find the L700's sound stage compares to the SR-007Mk2 and/or SR-009?  Thanks in advance.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #75 of 1,866
Hi WCDchee, would you mind answering this?

Thanks very much Michael T, your words are the first I've read re the L500 other than specs.  Can I ask you for more impressions re the L500. What can you say to someone who owns a B&W P7, Hifiman HE 400, and the Lamda Nova basic system, and has heard Senn 650 and AKG 702 extensively. I and i'm sure many others, would appreciate any info you can provide, especially as you're the first and only source. TIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back