The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Aug 14, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #691 of 1,866
An in-home trial is a thoroughly excellent idea! Even though I was used to my 2170 system, which I had been using for a year, I found that it still took me awhile to get used to L700. I liked them a lot on day 1. After 2 weeks is when I truly started to appreciate them, though! I switched back to my modded M1060 for about 20 minutes and they sounded like complete garbage 0.0 Your experience may vary, of course.

P.S. I have dual SVS PC12+ subwoofers and 4X Prime Elevation for Atmos in my home theater setup. You gotta experience a couch vibrating at 16hz =D
Yeah, I'll have to do some extensive listening to decide if the 3100 bundle is good enough to replace my Elear (selling my Elear could fund the 3100). If not, I'll save up for the srm-252 and L700.
Also wondering how the L300 with L700 pads would perform, maybe good enough to replace my Elears until I can afford the L700? The L300 with L700 pads have gotten mixed reviews in the L300-thread.
Anyway I'll stay cool until I can get another demo or a home trial with Stax. Have a Schiit Eitr on the way along with a new cable for the Elears, may just be enough for me to happily keep the Elears, and save up to buy the L700 without selling anything :D

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #692 of 1,866
Hifi-freaks.dk has just opened in Sweden and in a month i Norway, i don't see Stax in the swedish page, but the L700 is 1160$ in Denmark at the moment..
I think it's like this: while hifi-freaks has the Danish distrubution of Stax, in Sweden it is only http://audioconcept.se/ and in Norway Oslo Hificenter. I hope I am wrong.

However, hifi-freaks.dk sell to Sweden and Norway with the same deal as to danish customers :)

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #693 of 1,866
I think it's like this: while hifi-freaks has the Danish distrubution of Stax, in Sweden it is only http://audioconcept.se/ and in Norway Oslo Hificenter. I hope I am wrong.

However, hifi-freaks.dk sell to Sweden and Norway with the same deal as to danish customers :)
oh, I'll email them and ask for a home trial then :)

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #694 of 1,866
Good day everyone! I'm planing to swap L700 drivers into my old Sigmas. I love the sound-stage of Sigmas. But I don't know will drivers from L700 fit to them or not.

Anyone have such experience?

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #695 of 1,866
Hey guys, I'm in the market for some cans around the price of the L700's and a few video reviews made me sit up and pay attention to STAX for the first time. Just some quick questions:

1.) I see that these require a special, dedicated amp. How does that aspect work? Does it interface with your existing amp?

2.) Would it need to be plugged in directly into a DAC (assume computer source)?

3.) Does a basic dedicated amp have to be purchased separately to use them or does everything you need to get going come in the L700 box?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #696 of 1,866
You need an electrostatic amp. Normal amps don't work with Electrostatic headphones.

But those electrostatic amps connect to DACs, CD players PC etc... like any normal amp does though.

The two biggest recommended electrostatic amp makers are Stax & Kevin Glimore (KGSSHV). The good ones start at $800+ ish.

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #697 of 1,866
Hey guys, I'm in the market for some cans around the price of the L700's and a few video reviews made me sit up and pay attention to STAX for the first time. Just some quick questions:

1.) I see that these require a special, dedicated amp. How does that aspect work? Does it interface with your existing amp?

2.) Would it need to be plugged in directly into a DAC (assume computer source)?

3.) Does a basic dedicated amp have to be purchased separately to use them or does everything you need to get going come in the L700 box?

Thanks in advance.

Let me attempt to answer your questions:

Yes STAX would need a dedicated amp (better known as Energizer) to drive the STAX earspeakers. You can't use a normal amp to drive the STAX.

You can use a normal DAC/DAP as source to feed into the STAX Energizer

You'll need to purchase a dedicated Energizer to drive STAX.

I have a STAX SR-L700 and STAX SRM-353x & use iFi iDSD Black Label connected to FiiO X5 3rd Gen as my setup.

Hope this helps.

Sep 30, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #698 of 1,866
Let me attempt to answer your questions:

Yes STAX would need a dedicated amp (better known as Energizer) to drive the STAX earspeakers. You can't use a normal amp to drive the STAX.

You can use a normal DAC/DAP as source to feed into the STAX Energizer

You'll need to purchase a dedicated Energizer to drive STAX.

I have a STAX SR-L700 and STAX SRM-353x & use iFi iDSD Black Label connected to FiiO X5 3rd Gen as my setup.

Hope this helps.
It does help a ton. Thank you for the insight!

I'll look over these amps and see if there's something I would be okay with (price). Would this 252S (or something similar to it in price) be sufficient to drive the L700's? https://www.headamp.com/order/stax-srm-252s/

Out of curiosity, how is the bass response on Electrostats? The last electrostats I looked at were Martin Logan standing floor speakers and they needed a dedicated sub-woofer built into the base to compensate for the lack of low end on the electrostatic part of the speakers. I'd be coming from a Denon experience and I mostly listen to hip-hop, pop, jazz, and classical (in that order). I'm not sure if there is anywhere near me (Ft. Lauderdale, FL area) to demo any of these sorts of products, so any insight before I make a purchase would be greatly appreciated.

edit: is an SRD energizer an option for me or alternative to trying to pick up another amp? I already have a good DAC and an Amp that I'm happy with and space is somewhat limited.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #699 of 1,866
It does help a ton. Thank you for the insight!

I'll look over these amps and see if there's something I would be okay with (price). Would this 252S (or something similar to it in price) be sufficient to drive the L700's? https://www.headamp.com/order/stax-srm-252s/

Out of curiosity, how is the bass response on Electrostats? The last electrostats I looked at were Martin Logan standing floor speakers and they needed a dedicated sub-woofer built into the base to compensate for the lack of low end on the electrostatic part of the speakers. I'd be coming from a Denon experience and I mostly listen to hip-hop, pop, jazz, and classical (in that order). I'm not sure if there is anywhere near me (Ft. Lauderdale, FL area) to demo any of these sorts of products, so any insight before I make a purchase would be greatly appreciated.

edit: is an SRD energizer an option for me or alternative to trying to pick up another amp? I already have a good DAC and an Amp that I'm happy with and space is somewhat limited.

I'm fortunate to simultaneously own the 252S, SRM-1 Mk2 Pro, and the 353X. I assume one of the videos you've seen is Z-Reviews, and the L700 and SRM-1 in his review videos were mine.

Regarding energizer comparisons, my ears largely agree with Zeos's findings. 252S is certainly adequate, and if that's what you can afford, the more important part is that you get L700 in the first place.

SRM-1 is more detailed, but also slightly bright. I have been told my particular amp may need to be recapped though, so take this impression with a grain of salt.

353X is definitely my favorite of the three, and provides both detail and a full-bodied sound compared to the other two.

I've never heard the higher Stax models, so have no input there. I can say that personally, the L700 + 353X combo is good enough to my ears that I have no desire to look at the more expensive models at all :)

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #701 of 1,866
I have the L700/252 combo. Sounds great. When I bought it I intended to get a 353 or other amp or a Woo Audio transformer for $500 (check them out if you have a spare speaker amp). But the pair sounds so good I haven't gotten around to upgrading apps.

It's common among audiophiles to badmouth Stax amps. They appear to be pretty good.

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #702 of 1,866
I'd recommend you getting the L700 as first priority, and then see what amp you can afford with your remaining budget.

I have the L300+252s, and I'm definitely aiming for the L700 one day, which I think is more important than upgrading the amp. The L300 is awesome for the price, but there's still a big difference up to the L700 imo. Quality-wise (resolution, detail retrieval, separation) I think the L700 is closer to the 009, and certainly beats pretty much any dynamic/planar i've heard, save the Susvara.

Bass response is pretty decent on the L700 (and L300), e-stats don't have the deepest bass but it's certainly sufficient, and they can move a lot of air. When switching from the Elear to L300, I'm not left wanting for more bass. The e-stat bass is also really clean, fast and tight.
The main place where I feel e-stats fall short compared to dynamics/planars is impact and dynamics. They simply just don't deliver the same engagement and dynamic punch as the Elear for example. That's why I recommend keeping one dynamic/planar for this reason, while in terms of clarity and detail nothing can beat the Stax.

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #703 of 1,866
Understood. Thank you for the insight, gentlemen!

I'll start saving up and get the L700 and the 353X maybe in November.

At that point I'll just keep my D7000's,these L700's, maybe one of my other sets, and sell everything else.

I wish I knew somewhere down here in south Florida where I could demo them just to get a good understanding of their strengths and weaknesses for my usual music genres.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #704 of 1,866
I am probably going to spring for the 353x one of these days. I like having the combo of HD800S and L700. I plan to add a good planar to the mix, maybe Ether Flow or LCD-X. All are different all are good in their own way.

As to demos, don't we all wish we could demo some of these cans and kit before we buy. I think the current model is you buy it, you try it, and if you like it, you keep it for a while. If you don't care for it or if it doesn't add enough new value, you sell it. This fits right in with new stuff coming out all the time that we want to try. Interesting against this background that Stax just sites there year in and year out and continues to be recognized as outstanding.

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #705 of 1,866
I am probably going to spring for the 353x one of these days. I like having the combo of HD800S and L700. I plan to add a good planar to the mix, maybe Ether Flow or LCD-X. All are different all are good in their own way.

As to demos, don't we all wish we could demo some of these cans and kit before we buy. I think the current model is you buy it, you try it, and if you like it, you keep it for a while. If you don't care for it or if it doesn't add enough new value, you sell it. This fits right in with new stuff coming out all the time that we want to try. Interesting against this background that Stax just sites there year in and year out and continues to be recognized as outstanding.
I hear you, but I prefer to not tie up money like that.

That's why I don't buy from anywhere that doesn't have a respectable return policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back