The State of the Flagships
Dec 8, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #136 of 138

if you want to make informed guesses about the audibility of some frequency response difference the graph could help

Clark, David L., "High-Resolution Subjective Testing Using a Double-Blind Comparator", Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 30 No. 5, May 1982, pp. 330-338
Frequency response matching criteria for A and B components.
Each curve indicates the smallest amount of amplitude difference at each frequency that has been heard in ABX tests, when the bandwidth of the difference is about that of the curve's name. That is if you compare the frequency responses of two audio components and find the difference curve would fall below the criteria implied by all of the curves, the difference would probably not be heard in an ABX comparison. Differences that exceed any curve would almost certainly be audible. Thus each curve is the maximum amount of difference that should be tolerated in an ABX test intended to reveal other sorts of audible differences. For example, the "3-Octave" curve shows the threshold for errors about three octaves wide. Clearly for narrow-band errors and errors at the frequency extremes, matching is less critical. The "Level" curve shows that overall gain matching is most important for good comparisons of other factors. (This is figure 2 in Clark's AES paper.)

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #137 of 138
don't know if I missed it or simply didn't understand what it meant at the time I read the paper, but this is pretty great information if reliable.
I've tried doing some simple volume matching tests at different frequencies but only ever with a single tone. never tried to check for differences between tones. still it fell under the same usual equal loudness kind of general shape, where everything is easier to discriminate in the medium frequencies.
so testing for voices is once again very relevant.

cool stuff anyway, thanks to you and obviously to Clark and friend.

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #138 of 138

In that case you won't have much troubles with HD800's bass. I also like the bass presentation of my K702. The HD800's bass is more extended and even more clear.
I think the K702 kicks harder when called for but its bass is not as linear as HD800's (take this with a grain of salt, I haven't made any volume matched comparison)

My T1's bass has more body (No. 16xxx), more so than DT880. While it's maybe not as precise as HD800's bass, it's still very precise.
It's a warmer headphone and that's why it's so highly regarded as an all rounder.

If you can enjoy both HE-400 and K701, then you can enjoy pretty much every serious high fidelity headphone in the market.
beerchug.gif

I managed to test the LCD2, LCD3, LCD-X and Hifiman HE-560.

They were all better than the HE-400, no doubt about that (id say in the 10-15% range better, but it felt like more).
The problem was that the price is quite high for such a small quality increase (Especially since my favorite were the LCD-2 but they are FAR too heavy for extended listening periods).

By the end of the year Ill have enough doug to get a HD800 so Ill try to get to test those around 21 of December.

I have only Stax, HD800 and Hifiman HEK/HEX left to test before making up my mind (I also plan to add a DAC, Bimby or Gunby, not sure yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back