The sound of the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750 Headphones
Jun 20, 2008 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 467

Peter Pinna

1000+ Head-Fier
[size=x-small][size=xx-small]The entire contents of this post (except the mentioned theories) are my opinions based on my own extensive listening of the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750 Headphones as well as a number of other headphones by different manufacturers: [/size][/size]

Some of you may have noticed some disagreements in these forums regarding the sound of the Ultrasone Pro 750 headphones. Recently, I had a disagreement with another member who contended that the Pro 750's do not play what sounds like a type of surround sound but instead only play a wide sound stage typical of other types of headphones (non-Ultrasone). I say they do play a type of surround sound and they do have a wide sound stage as well.
So there is no misunderstanding about my opinion, I would like to attempt to define exactly what I mean by "surround sound" as it is produced by the Ultrasone Pro 750's.
The sound stage of a typical (non-Ultrasone) pair of headphones causes the different points of hearing (such as instruments in an orchestra) to be heard in (what might be called) a "loose line" of right - middle - left and various points of panning along that "loose line" inside the head. When a typical (non-Ultrasone) headphone has a wider sound stage than what would be considered "normal", the right-middle-left become broader but the sound stays along that "loose line".
With the Ultrasone Pro 750's, the sound stage is heard right-middle-left but also there are specific sounds heard outside of the head: outside of and in front of the head, outside of and in back of the head, outside of and to the side of the head (on both sides), outside of and below the head, outside of and above the head and at various points of panning between all of these aforementioned points of hearing. To further exemplify the sound of the Pro 750's, suppose you were listening to an orchestra playing via the Pro 750's. The violins might be playing behind the back of your head, the drums might be outside the right side of your head, the soloist saxophonist might be playing mostly in front of your head going somewhat "into" your head, the trombones might be outside of the left side of your head and toward the front of your head and the cellos might be below your head in the area of your upper chest while some (what sounds like) "natural" reverberation from the orchestra sounds above and out from and around your head. And, at the same time, while one is hearing specific sounds outside of the head, there is this "hearing awareness" that one is in (what one might call) an acoustically controlled listening environment. The previous example is far inferior to actually hearing the Pro 750's but, I think it's the best I can do with words to describe the sound and the sound stage and what is my definition of (and what I will label as) the Pro 750's "surround sound effect".
You will notice that I have limited my "discussion" to the Pro 750's. The reason for this is because I have heard only the Pro (Proline) 750's, Pro (Proline) 2500's and the Pro (Proline) 650's. Of those three, I have heard the Pro (Proline) 750's extensively, the Pro (Proline) 650's to a much less extent and the Pro (Proline) 2500's to an even lesser extent. I have no personal experience with any other Ultrasone Headphone. So, I would not be able to comment on their sound.
It is my understanding that there are some people who are unable to hear this "surround sound effect" from the Pro 750's. An example of this would be the other member I previously wrote about. The exact reason for this is unknown to me. I have read some interesting theories pertaining to the cause of their being unable to hear the "surround sound effect" which have included: (in essence) a difference in ear shape and size, incorrect positioning of the Pro 750's on the ears and the head and an unwillingness of the brain's perceptive capabilities to become aware of the "surround sound effect".
It is also my understanding that there are some people who are unable to hear the "surround sound effect" upon initially listening to the Pro 750's but for some reason, after listening for a period (apparently, the amount of time of this period varies depending on the listener) they become aware of the "surround sound effect". The theory pertaining to the reason for this has to do with the brain's perceptive capabilities becoming aware of the "surround sound effect". According to this theory, as I understand it, the brain's perception is so accustomed to the typical right-middle-left sound stage of the typical (non-Ultrasone) headphone, that, initially, it (the brain) causes the listener to be incapable of hearing the "surround sound effect" from the Pro 750's. But, after an unspecified period (depending on the listener), the brain becomes more aware of the "surround sound effect" thereby permitting the listener to hear the "surround sound effect".
I want to emphasize here that these are not my theories. I think I can safely assume that there are some who disagree with these theories and who, like the previously mentioned other member, disagree that a "surround sound effect" from the Pro 750's actually exists (perhaps based on their own experience with the Pro 750). "Speaking" only for myself, I can only convey from my personal experiences (as previously described) with the Pro (Proline) 750's. Knowing that there are others who, for whatever reason, are either initially and/or completely incapable of hearing the "surround sound effect" from the Pro 750's, I consider myself fortunate to be able to hear it.
Comments?

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the Ultrasone Pro 750's, the sound stage is heard right-middle-left but also there are specific sounds heard outside of the head: outside of and in front of the head, outside of and in back of the head, outside of and to the side of the head (on both sides), outside of and below the head, outside of and above the head and at various points of panning between all of these aforementioned points of hearing.

What about simultaneously inside and outside of your head? I would love to be able to experience what it might sound like to have a violin stuck through your head (like those arrow through the head hats). Can Ultrasone do this for me? This is a serious question, in my opinion, so please do not disrespect like you usually do.

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 467
Have you considered that those other sounds outside your head maybe really all in your head, if you know what I mean.
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 467
The Proline 750 was designed by Charlie McCarthy, and was designed to throw sounds all around the room. Tom Holman and the Dolby boys had nothin' on Charlie McCarthy. His experimentation in surround sound was vastly under appreciated, and largely unknown.

Charlie is the one on the left BTW...

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about simultaneously inside and outside of your head? I would love to be able to experience what it might sound like to have a violin stuck through your head (like those arrow through the head hats). Can Ultrasone do this for me? This is a serious question, in my opinion, so please do not disrespect like you usually do.

I do not "usually" disrespect anyone. However, in your case, I'll make an exception. If I was going to tell you where to "stick" something it wouldn't be through your head.
I AM JOKING.
I have had disagreements with others in these forums but that does not mean I disrespected them. Actually the tone of your question here could be considered as disrespectful.

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peter,

I'm impressed with your ability to make so many posts about the worst headphones ever.

I completely and absolutely disagree. IMO, the Ultrasone Pro 750 headphones are one of the best sounding headphones I've ever heard. And, believe me, I've heard a lot of headphones.

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered that those other sounds outside your head maybe really all in your head, if you know what I mean.
wink.gif

Well, I don't drink alcohol and I don't take any kind of mind altering drugs and I've never had any problems with delusions or hearing things that aren't there. So, no, I've never considered that as a possibility and I still don't.

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 467
Quote:

I do not "usually" disrespect anyone. However, in your case, I'll make an exception. If I was going to tell you where to "stick" something it wouldn't be through your head.
I AM JOKING.
I have had disagreements with others in these forums but that does not mean I disrespected them. Actually the tone of your question here could be considered as disrespectful.

IMO, this is rude and completely inappropriate Peter. I ask you a very serious question, and this is how you reply? The tone of my question was not "disrespectful" IMO, so now that you know that, it would be completely out-of-line to unjustly say things like that again (that is IMO, of course).

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #12 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Proline 750 was designed by Charlie McCarthy, and was designed to throw sounds all around the room. Tom Holman and the Dolby boys had nothin' on Charlie McCarthy. His experimentation in surround sound was vastly under appreciated, and largely unknown.

Charlie is the one on the left BTW...

Thank you for your comment whichever direction it came from. Thanks also for the great picture of Edgar Bergan and Charlie McCarthy who were great entertainers. Your comment made me curious about something. I wonder how it would sound through the Pro 750's to hear a ventriloquist throwing his voice (with the "surround sound effect" I mean).
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 467
Quote:

Well, I don't drink alcohol and I don't take any kind of mind altering drugs and I've never had any problems with delusions or hearing things that aren't there. So, no, I've never considered that as a possibility and I still don't.

Okay, just checking.

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #15 of 467
I'm just wondering what you hope to accomplish here. Are you hoping to convert others to the 750? Do you intend to learn anything while here? Do you have any relationship to Ultrasone or any affiliate or business partner thereof?

Basically, what's your deal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back