The sound of the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750 Headphones
Mar 2, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #451 of 467
Come on folks help Peter to get his Headphoneus Supremus
beerchug.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #452 of 467
What you have to say interest me Peter, too bad your thread is saturated with spam by some members. We all hear differently. I can't say S logic works or not. I never heard it before. But we should be mature enough and respectful enough to hear what he has to say, even if the majority seems to think he is totally wrong. No one forces you to post in a thread. Flame bait just leads to BS.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #453 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose is a dirty word around these parts my friend.

I am looking for a main headphone, I dont use my Sennheisers except for my HD 485 lol. I really love the Ultrasone Pro 750s, but they are not as forward as I'd like my main headphones to me. I hear the 225i and 325i are forward sounding. I would really appreciate some advice on the grados compared to the pro 750

"Bose is a dirty word around these parts my friend."
Yes, I know. I've never liked Bose. In case you missed my meaning, I was saying that Bose, in my opinion, are unnatural sounding headphones. My comment was definitely not a compliment about Bose headphones.
I "love" these terms like "forward sounding". I think what you mean is that you want a more prominent sounding mid-range. Is this correct? Or, do you want the entire frequency range to be more prominent? If the later is correct, you might try turning up the volume. I know that might sound simple and ridiculous but it actually works in satisfying some listeners.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #455 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by angle_sh00ter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am wondering what your opinion is on the differences between the 550 and the 900? In your experience do you think the ultrasones compare well to the Alessandros? At the moment I am considering Alessandros, ultrasones and also Audio Technica models as they are all seemingly easy to drive.

It has been a fair while since I had the Proline550 and even a couple of months since I have heard the Pro900, and I don't like giving opinions on memory. Having stated that, the Pro900 is a great headphone and in a league considerably higher than the Proline550. The 550 is a good headphone and certainly competes with most headphones at similar price point and better than many closed fons. The 550 is bass foccused, however not as refined or competent as the 900, that is not to say that it is one note sloppy bass, just not as controlled as the black Ultrasone. The Alessandros are fairly typical to Grado sound, being very forward and aggressive, the MS2 more so than the MS1. I also liked the AD900 ATH which is airy and smooth.
Thay all are fairly efficient, and all are good headphones however with very different sound sigs. If you like forward, select a Grado/Alessandro, airy with sound stage, the AD900, bassy and closed, the Ultrasones (they do have a bigger sound stage than the Alessandros). The MS2 is better than the MS1 but I wouldn't want it as my only headphone, it is great at times, but fatiguing at times. The Pro900 is a top tier headphone in my opinion and if you can afford it, a great listen with most music genres. The Proline 550 is at the same level as the AD900, and maybe MS2, but as I have stated, all very different to each other.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #456 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you have to say interest me Peter, too bad your thread is saturated with spam by some members. We all hear differently. I can't say S logic works or not. I never heard it before. But we should be mature enough and respectful enough to hear what he has to say, even if the majority seems to think he is totally wrong. No one forces you to post in a thread. Flame bait just leads to BS.

Thank you for your kind words. I really don't think the "majority" thinks I'm totally wrong. But those who do think I'm wrong are very prominent in their objections to my comments.
My friends, it is all a matter of perspective and application. In other words, what do you want from a headphone and how do you plan to use it? For my purposes, the Pro 750 serves me well. I've never said that there is no better headphone than the 750. Indeed, there probably is a better headphone. But, can that better headphone withstand the rigors of a studio production situation where critical listening is a must while other audio activities are going on simultaneously? The audiophile who can sit in an easy chair listening to a pair of beautiful sounding and probably highly breakable headphones, might not find the Pro 750 as satisfying as I do for my purposes. I'd be willing to bet, though, that audiophile would not dare so much as attempt doing with those beautiful headphones what I consider common place professional activities for which I use my Pro 750.
And, yes, I do listen with the Pro 750 for personal enjoyment as well as for professional "critical listening". Why? Because, in production situations, I've done enough with them to know that the audio I hear through them sounds so close to what I've heard in the studio that it causes me to be confident that what I hear when listening to a commercial recording with them is extremely close to what the audio engineer of that particular recording intended for the listener to hear.
Finding the time to listen to other headphones for personal enjoyment is a major challenge for me. Yes, I certainly would like to hear a headphone that I like better than the Pro 750. I have a sense though, that when, and if, I ever do find that "better headphone", unless it's another headphone made specifically for professional production application, I won't be able to use it, without a certain amount of trepidation, in the studio.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #457 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Bose is a dirty word around these parts my friend."
Yes, I know. I've never liked Bose. In case you missed my meaning, I was saying that Bose, in my opinion, are unnatural sounding headphones. My comment was definitely not a compliment about Bose headphones.
I "love" these terms like "forward sounding". I think what you mean is that you want a more prominent sounding mid-range. Is this correct? Or, do you want the entire frequency range to be more prominent? If the later is correct, you might try turning up the volume. I know that might sound simple and ridiculous but it actually works in satisfying some listeners.

Ew no, my pro 750s are prominent, the difference from prominent and forward is significant. Some headphones sound physically distant. If i close my eyes tight, my HD 600s or 650s seem like they are distant, as if literally the music were coming from a DISTANCE away. I dislike this. Good IEMS sound very close to you. Thats what I am looking for. People are saying Grado sound is closer, more forward sounding. The 225is are not natural sounding and are forward, so thats what I am after. I REALLY hate distant sounding cans, and I hate airy natural sounding even more. It's only good for classical, no other genre should sound natural. It's just me, but ive said it a 1000 times that mh senn HD 485 is the best sennheiser ever. It is the most well rounded musically inclined of all the sets i own. It heavily colors the music, the sound produced is ME, i enjoy it more than the 600s and 650...neither of which i even use. They sit in a box because MUSIC sounds more enjoyable to me via the 485 than ANYTHING. I also own a pair of dirt cheap stock insignia earbuds that SMASH...literally SMASH every single set ive ever owned. Including my expensive full size.

>.>

im hoping the grado sound is also ME and that I enjoy it more than the 485

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #458 of 467
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ew no, my pro 750s are prominent, the difference from prominent and forward is significant. Some headphones sound physically distant.

The trait you seem to dislike is what we'd call soundstage size. HD600's soundstage is considerably bigger than the Pro 750's, attributing to the "distance" percieved in them by comparison. Grados, as you mentioned, sound very present because their soundstage lacks size.

Not that a big soundstage is necessarily a desirable trait. Personal preference plays into that alot. The HD800 has a very large soundstage, but there are people that still prefer a slightly more intimate presentation, myself included.

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #459 of 467
this thread is damn old but I add my opinion to it whatsoever, as I have bought the 750 and am extremely satisfied with them. Hope this short review of mine (see link) will be useful to some people.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576342/q701-ultrasone-750-ua25ex#post_7830556

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #460 of 467
sorry to necro an old thread however i've just purchased a new pair of pro 750s and god am struggling with them. I brought them here in Vietnam as i wanted something closed for the long flights i take around once or twice a month, i own a few open headphones the HD598's and HE-300's being my favourites.

I tested the Pro 750's in the shop, unfortunately i didn't have my Fiio e18 with me and tested them on my Sony Z3, they didn't sound that good or bad to be honest, however i thought that would improve once i hooked it up to the e18.

I like them because i struggle with leather pads making my ears hot on planes and i wanted Velcro pads, full over ear and the tests i did in the shop they were very comfortable - and they still are, until i play music through them using the e18.

I read some mods on here i can perform but before i go down that path is there anything else i can do to lessen the harshness - after an hour it feels like someone is drilling into my head.

I have been burning them in now for over 50 hrs - mainly listening to Pink Floyd (anything), ELO, Supertramp, CCR and similar at the moment .

Should mention taking them back is not an option unfortunately.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #461 of 467
  sorry to necro an old thread however i've just purchased a new pair of pro 750s and god am struggling with them. I brought them here in Vietnam as i wanted something closed for the long flights i take around once or twice a month, i own a few open headphones the HD598's and HE-300's being my favourites.

I tested the Pro 750's in the shop, unfortunately i didn't have my Fiio e18 with me and tested them on my Sony Z3, they didn't sound that good or bad to be honest, however i thought that would improve once i hooked it up to the e18.

I like them because i struggle with leather pads making my ears hot on planes and i wanted Velcro pads, full over ear and the tests i did in the shop they were very comfortable - and they still are, until i play music through them using the e18.

I read some mods on here i can perform but before i go down that path is there anything else i can do to lessen the harshness - after an hour it feels like someone is drilling into my head.

I have been burning them in now for over 50 hrs - mainly listening to Pink Floyd (anything), ELO, Supertramp, CCR and similar at the moment .

Should mention taking them back is not an option unfortunately.

Paul,
It is a coincidence you mentioned Pink Floyd because a few days ago I was listening to my original vinyl version of Meddle which I hadn't heard in some years.  And, yes, I did listen to that album with the Pro 750.  Regarding your problem, there are a number of possible causes.  Since you're in Vietnam, is it possible you might have acquired a counterfeit pair of the Pro 750?  There is also a possibility that your amp, the "e18" is incompatible with the Pro 750.  I do not know because I've never heard the Pro 750 by way of the e18.  For the Pro 750, the more neutral ("flat) your headphone amp is the better. 
Another possibility is that you have not burned them in enough.  Although, 50 hours should be enough for them to sound good but not as good as they would sound after 100 hours of burn in.  Are you wearing the headband in the center of your head with your ear canal centered in the headphone cup?  You'd be surprsed what a difference the position on your head can make in the sound. 
Try plugging the Pro 750 into a source directly without using a headphone amp for the purpose of judging their sound.  If they sound significantly better this way than you'll know the amp or perhaps the current setting of the amp is the problem.  Remember, a neutral setting {"flat") is best for the Pro 750. 
Let me know if any of these suggestions help. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #462 of 467
Thanks Peter, I'm happy to say the 750's have much improved with burning in, to be honest they still sound horrible through the e18 but direct to the Sony z3 they sound great.

I think I will still use my open headphones when in the comfort of my home but for travelling I'm comfortable to use these now.

Anyone buys these I would suggest 100 hrs burn in something I never had to do with my other phones

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #463 of 467
I have been away from Head-fi for quite a while now.  After several years of absence, I decided to pay back a visit to this wonderful site.

I am still using my Proline 750 as my main headphone and the sound it produces never ceases to amaze me.  Although I have tried many other headphones which are highly regarded by many head-fiers, I must confess that I keep coming back to my Proline 750 with its amazingly addictive sound signature, which is simply pure, extremely accurate, body-quivering lows, and deeply immersing especially due to its S-Logic design (and, yes, S-Logic does work).

One thing I would like to emphasize when using the PL750 is that you MUST hook it up to a high-quality source.  The rule of "Garbage In Garbage Out" applies exactly to the PL750 since they so accurately reproduce whatever sound is thrown to it, whether it be background noise or the person coughing behind the recording studio.  As an example, my PL750 is usually hooked up to my Graham Slee Voyager headphone amp which is fed by my old trusty Nationite S:Flo2 (dual-mono design with 2 separate Wolfson WM8740 DAC chips per channel).  With appropriate high-quality FLAC recordings, one can only be amazed at the music reproduction you get.  And, by the way, always set your equalizer to "Flat" for proper sound reproduction or otherwise sound will be distorted.

Just wanted to add my humble but very honest opinion on the Proline 750 after having several years of extremely satisfying usage.

By the way, kudos to Peter for his continued support for the Proline 750, a definite real gem.

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #464 of 467
I think I will also revive this old thread!

I have been using the Ultrasone Proline 750 since Peter Pinna "convinced me" back in 2008 to give it a go. I've been in constant bliss ever since. A bit spoiled, though...

I only JUST installed a month ago the set of the replacement pads that came with it! (Found them well-stashed in a box of stuff!)

Needless to say, my pair is quite well broken in by now. I just paired them with a Fiio E12a, and they are loving that thing (and its >420mw of power!) Most of my portable headphone jacks had more like 16mw into 30 ohms (like the iPod Nanos), and my Shozy Alien drives them even better with 55mw per channel for portable use. But this is extreme!

In the studio, my MOTU headphone outs "only" had 200mw, and yet if I use those as a DAC only and feed the line-outs from a channel into the Fiio E12a, well, you know... :dt880smile:

These sound good with anything I drive them with, in short, but they don't mind a little extra power one single bit!

On a side note, I finally have bought some IEM's that I can live with having been "ruined" by the bass of the Proline 750's - those being the Shure SE846, which slams with that deep bass almost as much!

Like I said... a bit spoiled.

Glad I could add something to this thread, and thanks to Peter again for his influence! (And jpelg, too!)

Terry

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #465 of 467
I think I will also revive this old thread!

I have been using the Ultrasone Proline 750 since Peter Pinna "convinced me" back in 2008 to give it a go. I've been in constant bliss ever since. A bit spoiled, though...

I only JUST installed a month ago the set of the replacement pads that came with it! (Found them well-stashed in a box of stuff!)

Needless to say, my pair is quite well broken in by now. I just paired them with a Fiio E12a, and they are loving that thing (and its >420mw of power!) Most of my portable headphone jacks had more like 16mw into 30 ohms (like the iPod Nanos), and my Shozy Alien drives them even better with 55mw per channel for portable use. But this is extreme!

In the studio, my MOTU headphone outs "only" had 200mw, and yet if I use those as a DAC only and feed the line-outs from a channel into the Fiio E12a, well, you know...
wink.gif

These sound good with anything I drive them with, in short, but they don't mind a little extra power one single bit!
dt880smile.png

On a side note, I finally have bought some IEM's that I can live with having been "ruined" by the bass of the Proline 750's - those being the Shure SE846, which slams with that deep bass almost as much!

Like I said... a bit spoiled.

Glad I could add something to this thread, and thanks to Peter again for his influence! (And jpelg, too!)

Terry
Terry,
You are quite welcome. I'm glad I could be of assistance.
Peter Pinna

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back