The Sony SA3000 appreciation thread
Sep 11, 2009 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
This is the second appreciation thread Ive started, the first one being for the Audio Technica AD900 which I still love.

Now lets talk about these Sa3ks... Let me first say that these are awesome! I can't believe why these aren't more popular than they are. I was more interested in trying these than the sa5000 because I don't usually like cans with pleather/leather earpads since I don't like the colorations they make to the sound. The SA3000 was more interesting to me since I hear they use the same drivers as the sa5000 but have cloth pads instead of the leather and are much cheaper maybe because of the plastic parts instead of metal. The comfort on these cans is better than any other cans Ive ever tried.

The sound of these cans are so grainless and smooth while being punchy and dynamic! If I were to compare them with other cans I would say they are close to the dt880 in bass weight but without the harsh highs then add some better and more present mids ala hd600 then lift the veil. Grainlessness is akin to stats. The sound only has one flaw IMO and its the slightly tunnely sound that gets worse when head/ear placement is not perfect. For the price though, this flaw is not so significant to me compared to that of the other cans Ive heard on my profile.

So who else has these around here and really love them... Lets Give it up for the SA3000

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear they use the same drivers as the sa5000

is that a fact?

do they isolate a bit, or not at all?

I guess a trade against a Pro750 is not gonna be of any interest to you?

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 44
hahahaha I know you wouldn't trade your favorite cans for my sa3ks

Anyway, the drivers being the same as the sa5k is just what Ive read here and there on headfi but I don't really know for sure.

and no isolation

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

This is the second appreciation thread Ive started, the first one being for the Audio Technica AD900 which I still love.

Now lets talk about these Sa3ks... Let me first say that these are awesome! I can't believe why these aren't more popular than they are. I was more interested in trying these than the sa5000 because I don't usually like cans with pleather/leather earpads since I don't like the colorations they make to the sound. The SA3000 was more interesting to me since I hear they use the same drivers as the sa5000 but have cloth pads instead of the leather and are much cheaper maybe because of the plastic parts instead of metal. The comfort on these cans is better than any other cans Ive ever tried.

The sound of these cans are so grainless and smooth while being punchy and dynamic! If I were to compare them with other cans I would say they are close to the dt880 in bass weight but without the harsh highs then add some better and more present mids ala hd600 then lift the veil. Grainlessness is akin to stats. The sound only has one flaw IMO and its the slightly tunnely sound that gets worse when head/ear placement is not perfect. For the price though, this flaw is not so significant to me compared to that of the other cans Ive heard on my profile.

So who else has these around here and really love them... Lets Give it up for the SA3000

Great that you finally got them, and you like them. I used to really like them, however in time I got kind of tired of their "light" signature. They surely have wide soundstage, but IMO miss some depth.

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

the Sony MDR-SA3000 Stereo Headphones. With the 50 millimeter diameter, dome type driver unit and Sony's newly-developed nanocomposite diaphragm, your music will sound loud, clear, and rich. The MDR-SA3000's high definition driver units reproduce crystal-clear recorded sounds at a wide frequency range (8-100,000 Hz).

impressive specs sir Don !!!
happy_face1.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 44
Maybe someone can chime in to confirm whether they have the same drivers or not... It doesn't really matter much to me though. I wasn't sure of it which is why I stated that it was just what i heard
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Maybe someone can chime in to confirm whether they have the same drivers or not... It doesn't really matter much to me though. I wasn't sure of it which is why I stated that it was just what i heard
biggrin.gif

AFAIK those two have different drivers.

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 44
Now I wish I hadn't posted this appreciation thread... The sa3ks luster has worn off. Now I'm left with some cans that just sound echoey to me
biggrin.gif

The only long term friends of mine are the senn hd580/600 and the ad900s hehehe

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #13 of 44
new toy syndrome, terrible thing
cowboy.gif

I used to have it all the time when rolling op-amps...but now I know what I want, "I think".

anyway, you still have this option:
tang.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back