The Sony MDR-SA5000 Thread
Apr 28, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #256 of 413
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no problem with the highs with the DAC19... But then I suspect the DAC19 roll off the highs quite a bit which this was supposed to fix
smily_headphones1.gif

I can even run CMSS3D on them without them becoming painfully bright.
I can definiatly see they becoming bright on the wrong system since in relationship with my other headphones/speakers these are slightly brighter. Obviously nothing proper system matching can´t fix.

Still curious if somebody have a trick for making the headband more comfortable?

The position of the headband is important,tilt the headband back until the crown of the head rests in the middle of the cradle.
If anyone has a doubt as to the crown its the area that in men causes much pain as they witness an ever expanding ring devoid of hair.

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #257 of 413
hmm that may be my problem I don´t really have much of a crown. Which is good since yes I will probably get bald when I pass the 50s I estimate by this rate
wink.gif
Will experiment further but those angled drives pretty much demand you wearing them straight I would estimate?

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #258 of 413
Just got my SA5Ks back after being recabled (stock cable had been flaky for some time and finally lost the left channel completely). Still love these headphones*.

* Connected to an M^3 with AD843s. I have never wanted for more bass with this setup.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #259 of 413
I'm surprised there aren't more mods with this phone. However it's only been recently that the headphone modding trend has really exploded.

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #260 of 413
I just got a fantastic deal on a nice set with a HD600 re cable ( Waiting on photos of the re cable ) 
Not sure why to be honest why theyve had the HD600 cable attached?! Maybe someone here can explain what the benefit is?
Anyway, A few photo's from the listing - 

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #261 of 413
Just on ebay sales now SA5000 with dragoncable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-SA5000-Headband-Headphones-Silver-Black-/271734367813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f44a16645&rmvSB=true

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #262 of 413
Finally I got the "perfect" replacement SA5000 earpads, its fit perfectly despite the form is round and even edges.

But the medium soft pleather is very good, not too soft like those wrinkly ones and not stiff, although the inner ring is the stiffier layer.
First I got the ATH M50 too small earpads that doesn't fit with its 98mm rounding.
This SA5000 is 105mm and inner 50mm with detachable foam is the best sofar!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40|R40|R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=sony+sa5000&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=15

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #263 of 413
SA5000 used for sale at ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-SA5000-Headband-Headphones-Silver-Black-/161570851933?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259e5f8c5d

start bidding US $295,00
shipping US $55,00

-----------------

Or NEW SA3000 (heheh) for
US $599,95 and US $49,99 shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-MDR-SA3000-DJ-Stereo-Headphones-MDRSA3000-/370810481549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565606eb8d

!!d5j+jw!mM~$(KGrHgoOKi4EjlLm,WWnBKpd6uumTg~~_35.JPG

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #264 of 413
Hello, quick question to owners of the SA5000. I've read a lot about how detailed the presentation of this can is, and I had a question to how that translates to vocal separation, Does the SA5000 make vocal harmonies distinct? Or is that something that really benefits from a wider soundstage, or better imaging?

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #265 of 413
Hello, quick question to owners of the SA5000. I've read a lot about how detailed the presentation of this can is, and I had a question to how that translates to vocal separation, Does the SA5000 make vocal harmonies distinct? Or is that something that really benefits from a wider soundstage, or better imaging?

To me the stock SA5000 sounds unbearable overkill bright shrill pierching killed the bass and narrow soundstage, made my ears bleeding and can't listen too long, force me to find solution.
Only after doing closed back and inner dampening mod and matching with a modded hybrid tube headamp, I'm totally satisfied with it.
It keeps the brightness under control and brings back deep bass in "perfect" laidback tonal balance, now I can listen amazed "Live spacious sounding" 8+ hrs continuously with movies, games, music, daw etc.

The unique porous diaphragm is able to reproduce (too much) the fast vibrant high frequency so if you usually need to EQ more highs, SA5000 won't need it.
If I couldn't mod it myself, I won't keep SA5000.

You can read the last few pages here for more impressions:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/582696/who-still-has-the-sony-sa5000/585
http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #266 of 413
To me the stock SA5000 sounds unbearable overkill bright shrill pierching killed the bass and narrow soundstage, made my ears bleeding and can't listen too long, force me to find solution.

Hyperbole. Yeah they're scewed to the treble but you make 'em sound like at least a Ultrasone PRO900, If not en ED10. The treble is one of the smoothest there is if you get a proper fit.

Voicing is very clear and distinct in the SA5000, problem lies with the tonality.

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #267 of 413
Thank you both, cdsa35000, and Amarphael. I think I'll hold off on the SA5000's for now, although someday down the road it might be nice to have if I really want to pick apart a piece of music. But for now, I think my next upgrade will be something less specialty-purposed, and more of an all-rounder that's easy to amp and easy to enjoy.

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #268 of 413
Thank you both, cdsa35000, and Amarphael. I think I'll hold off on the SA5000's for now, although someday down the road it might be nice to have if I really want to pick apart a piece of music. But for now, I think my next upgrade will be something less specialty-purposed, and more of an all-rounder that's easy to amp and easy to enjoy.

You sure you wanna past this Best Natural Airy Dynamic Vibrant LIVE Sounding Headphone EVER (after modding and headamp matching)!!!!???
---
Just got it testing with my Android Smartphone with mp3 music and games Dead Trigger and DeadSpace, SA5000 vs CD3000 vs Pioneer SE-MJ711 (I got it for $20)

SA5000 directly to portables sounds almost as loud as others but with the clear overemphasis of the vibrant sibilance mid/high freq. of at least like +6dB to +12dB+ with wide (livelike) soundstage. The lacking of the bass volume is due the portable device can't deliver the bass power to drive 70 Ohms.
CD3000 sounds good (best "high-end SQ" for portables/laptops/standalonea without external headamp) with weak bass volume but is too sensitive to "hissy" amps, in this cause hiss noise is heard on these portables where else CD3000 only to my Aspire 8930 laptop it sounds best without hiss noise from hissy amp.
The winner here is the Pioneer MJ711 perfect for portables, although muffled non vibrant mid/high tones but with subwoofer like bass. This 40mm plastic (PET) diagphram/driver is very powerful, can take 1000mW and deliver distortion free sound with very loud volume (where-else the SA5000 will get distorted at too loud volume (see data sheet)). Best enjoyable on these low (bass) powered portables.
---
To me only these special (dynamic type) porous diaphragm vs waterproof coated/plastic/pet dia. can really deliver the real lifelike sounds that I want, I can hear the air and feel the wind/breath in the voices/sounds. Especially the elevated vibrant brightness makes dull low quality mp3/sources sounds good lifelike.
With movies/games/(orchestra concert)music etc., what I hear is like I'm in there in real life, thats what I always want it to sound like.
---
Depends what you really want in SQ, you must do some research about the diverse headphones technology and their characteristics (datasheets).

Mar 7, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #269 of 413
I have took a set of photo for my SA5000, would like to share with everyone who enjoy this headphone.

I didn't have the right amplifier to go justice for this headphone, my main headphone amp Little Dot MK6, a full balanced tube amp at around 5W@50ohm, it is indeed too strong, and the SA5000 sound really fatigue with that, I hope I can find a single end headphone amp to pair with the SA5000, it must be singled ended because the XLR out of the DAC has been occupied. It must be low cost and small footprint as my headfi system expands a lot faster then anticipated already, so I run out of space and $ to keep it growing.

All comment and suggestions are welcome.

Packaging

Cable and Accessories

Headphone

The headphone overall is in pretty good shape, but the earpad is showing its age. The shape is good and the foam inside is firm, so it doesn't affect haring, it just look bad on just a beautiful headphone, wander how much it cost to replace the earpad? Factory or third party? Or I solve the fatigue problem by going for a different earpad?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 7, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #270 of 413
Finally I got the "perfect" replacement SA5000 earpads, its fit perfectly despite the form is round and even edges.

But the medium soft pleather is very good, not too soft like those wrinkly ones and not stiff, although the inner ring is the stiffier layer.
First I got the ATH M50 too small earpads that doesn't fit with its 98mm rounding.
This SA5000 is 105mm and inner 50mm with detachable foam is the best sofar!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40|R40|R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=sony+sa5000&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=15

I have just posted some photo of my SA5000 and I am looking for replacement earpad, try to follow the link to check out the replacement earpad, seems the items has been take down already. Care to share how much does it cost for the replacement you showed ?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back