the sony D-EJ825....... any good?
Nov 25, 2002 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dudlew

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am a newbie to this and am looking for some really good advice. I am planning to purchase a new PCDP. Saw this Sony for $90 and was wondering if it was worth it. My max is $100 and I like the feature set ( optical digital out and line out etc. )

So do I buy? Or are there better for the price out there.

All advice is welcome!!!! Thanks a million

Nov 26, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 15
You mean that no one here owns this or has any opinions about this? at all??!!!!

Wow is it that bad!!???

Nov 26, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 15
NEW sony players have weak headphone amps and decent sound at best. I suggest you buy either a Rio, Panasonic, or if you can spend $130 i highly suggest the iRiver Slimx

Nov 26, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 15
But would'nt upgrading to a headphone amp or both a dac and headphone amp warrant buying this player if it has decent sound?

My main concern is sound quality. I will be mobile but not to any great extent. Also I am not a fan of MP3 at all. So that is why I am looking at straight cd players. I have seen the panasonic 570 sony 955 and the sony 777. Would you recommend one of these instead of the 825?

Nov 26, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 15
Okay,

I have narrowed it down to two units: The sony 955 and the new panasonic sl-ct700.

I think I will buy one of these PCDPs. They are both the same price, (audiocubes) with similar feature set except that the pana plays mp3. Not a big deal for me. The pana seem to have a more slightly powerful headphone jack, according to the specs, at 6mw per channel (didnt say much else on that issue).

Any one using any of these and have any suggestions??

Any suggestions before I buy?

Nov 26, 2002 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 15
Hi,
I highly suggest you getting your hand on Sony D-777, if you have a chance. This model was the top of line in 95's. Sony priced the D-777 around 350 dollars during the old days.

Expect, excellent headphone out with punching bass performance. The overall characteristic is warm and powerful. The line out on this unit is also very good. D-777, and D-E905 are probably two of the best "true" Discman ever made by Sony. So getting your hand on one, can be quite a challenge. Both units use the same body, but different paint job. Both units has no LCD on the body and carry 10 sec ESP. The LCD are located in the wired remote. The remote can be used with the MP (micro plug) only. Good luck on finding one. Hint, there is one in Ebay now.

Nov 26, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 15
I would love to get that d777 on ebay, but the problem is that its only money order.

From where I live (St. Vincent and the Grenadines in the Caribbean), A money order for that thing will cost me another $35US at least and for me that's tough to swallow.

Credit Card orders I can do. And this leaves me with the choices I mentioned for what I can afford. (I have to be a little stingy because I want to get a sharp MDSR60 MD player and the HD497 and I have $350US to spend!!!) It is tough call for me And I should have said all of this first but up until a couple hours ago this was all up for grabs.

So my choices so far are:
Sony
1) D-EJ825
2) D-EJ855
3) D-EJ955

Panasonic
1) SLCT570
2) SLCT700

What (After really searching) I can afford and I would really like the digital out feature to link to the MD or even a dac later on.

Nov 27, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 15
Don't bother with the Sony D-EJ825. Short battery life, not very good headphone out. I'd suggest a Panasonic of some kind because most Sony's nowadays have very weak and poor headphone out. If you can get the Panasonic 570 and won't be on the move much, go for it. I've seen a few opions claiming that the slightly older Panasonic line had better sound quality than the current line.

Nov 27, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 15
IIRC, none of the Panasonic PCDPs ever sold in the U.S. had an optical digital output at all whatsoever. You'll have to hunt for an Asian/Japanese-market model if you must buy Panasonic to digitally link to an MD recorder. Otherwise, you'll have to transfer from CD to MD by analog - and then sound quality will suffer on the MD copies, because the signal from a PCDP that lacks a digital output must first be converted to analog by internal DACs that are usually mediocre in quality. And then in the MD recorder, that bastardized analog signal gets converted to digital via ATRAC conversion, which bastardizes the signal further (though not to the same extent that MP3 compression usually imposes to the audio).

BTW, the U.S.-market Panasonic 570 has only an analog line-out and an analog headphone-out.

Nov 27, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
D-777, and D-E905 are probably two of the best "true" Discman ever made by Sony. So getting your hand on one, can be quite a challenge. Both units use the same body, but different paint job. Both units has no LCD on the body and carry 10 sec ESP. The LCD are located in the wired remote. The remote can be used with the MP (micro plug) only. Good luck on finding one. Hint, there is one in Ebay now.

Sorry Purk, have to correct you there...

The E905 has ESP2 which is 40 second anti-shock...

BUT (in my case, but that could be because my E905 is NOS) in my opinion the E905 doesn't even need the ESP2, I never use it... and it is only rarely that the player skips, whilst in my coat pocket... not that I run with it though
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 15
Duncan,
According to my manual, the D-E900/E905 has 10 sec ESP^2. I don't think it has the 40 sec. With continuously vibration, the D-E900 last me 15 secs b/f mistracking occurs.

Nov 27, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 15
I wish I had the resources to hunt down these recommendations but every where I turn I am being shot down:

For the 825 that I saw for $90, Sonystyle does not accept international credit cards.

For the 955 that I saw for $150, Audio Cubes sends the merchandise to the billing address only and my billing address is different to my mailing address

For the MDSR60 that I saw for $120, Kmart had a problem with the address of some kind and wont accept payment.

For the 777 that I saw for $150, The seller on ebay only accepted PayPal or money order. I don't have PayPal and the money order would cost me another$40 and that doesn't even include shipping.

I am seeing trouble all the way and it is bothering me...... Do any of you guys have a spare unit you can sell me? (I know that that is real troublesome as well; first getting the money to you, then the shipping and so on.)

Nov 27, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by dudlew
The seller on ebay only accepted PayPal or money order. I don't have PayPal...

Why's that stopping you? PayPal is free (for buyers) and pretty easy to use...

Nov 28, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #14 of 15
Pay Pal hassome strange dealings with international customers. Once you reach a limit, hats it. I have reached that limit so paypal is out.

Nov 29, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #15 of 15
I give up. I will go for the minidisc player instead. My current discman still works (probably just barely) and I will use it till it dies. I have mindisc with no minidisc because my 702 died a few days ago so I want to replace that.

So for me, minidisc all the way !!!!!!!!!
I stop looking in ebay and all that for those elusive pcdps that sell for more than their suggested retail prices!!

(Don't bash me I just joking)

MDSR60 for me. Next year a pcdp.

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back