The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Aug 24, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #2,941 of 3,003
I think you misunderstood, the battery will be the limiting factor on the lifespan of the device.

It's a custom android setup too, so I have no idea what would happen if you tried it get it upgraded to 12 or whatever. It would probably break stuff.
To me that is one of the biggest problems with Android based DAP's. You almost need to keep releasing new models just to support newer versions of Android. Each new Android version seems to increase the hardware requirements forcing manufacturers to keep raising the price to cover the cost of the upgraded hardware.

I will live and die with my A55 and I have my trusty Shanling Q1 on standby as a backup. Shanling claims the MTouch Linux based DAP's are not "dead" but no word on when or if a Q1 replacement or another model will be coming any time soon.

The IFA show is coming soon in September and Sony usually has a big presence but I doubt any new walkman models or updates are in the offing. Hope I am wrong but the walkmanblogspot hasn't posted any walkman updates since the firmware updates last November for the android DAP's.

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #2,942 of 3,003
To me that is one of the biggest problems with Android based DAP's. You almost need to keep releasing new models just to support newer versions of Android. Each new Android version seems to increase the hardware requirements forcing manufacturers to keep raising the price to cover the cost of the upgraded hardware.

I will live and die with my A55 and I have my trusty Shanling Q1 on standby as a backup. Shanling claims the MTouch Linux based DAP's are not "dead" but no word on when or if a Q1 replacement or another model will be coming any time soon.

The IFA show is coming soon in September and Sony usually has a big presence but I doubt any new walkman models or updates are in the offing. Hope I am wrong but the walkmanblogspot hasn't posted any walkman updates since the firmware updates last November for the android DAP's.
I agree entirely. Android based DAPs are limited out of the box. I honestly believe that the increased quality of Bluetooth coupled with the simplicity of streaming has reduced the need for DAPs almost entirely. There is nothing the A105 can do that my mobile phone can't do (almost) just as well.

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #2,943 of 3,003
Oh I do but once you get above say the $300 price range expectations change for me. A device that I spend $500 on I would no longer consider throw away. This is why I cap my budget at $300 for a battery powered DAP. Technically you can replace the battery on the A55 as the batteries are sold on aliexpress.com. If my battery died or battery life got so bad as to be unusable I would probably take a shot on replacing the battery, if it doesn't work no great loss. Especially with Linux based DAP's seeming to be disappearing pretty quickly.

Yeah. I mean I guess it's possible. I'm not too handy and these things don't look easy to open without screwing something. I could barely get a case with adhesive off my old phone just now to send back lol

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #2,944 of 3,003
I'm getting ready to buy the A105. Should I be aware of anything new that Sony is coming out with soon to replace this unit? I'm typically behind the curve is why I'm asking...

Aug 25, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #2,945 of 3,003
I'm getting ready to buy the A105. Should I be aware of anything new that Sony is coming out with soon to replace this unit? I'm typically behind the curve is why I'm asking...
No signs of any new models as of today. You can check Thewalkmanblog. They often have rumours and insights about upcoming Sony portable audio devices.

Aug 25, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #2,946 of 3,003
I agree entirely. Android based DAPs are limited out of the box. I honestly believe that the increased quality of Bluetooth coupled with the simplicity of streaming has reduced the need for DAPs almost entirely. There is nothing the A105 can do that my mobile phone can't do (almost) just as well.
The main reason I buy a DAP is I have over 13,000 tracks on my A55 and have no interest in streaming which to me is the only reason to get an android DAP. Bluetooth is getting better but it will always have compression which means it will never sound as good as the music I have on my player listening with my wired headphones. The hardware requirements for android are insane for a device primarily used to listen to music. Wifi is the only real option if you want the best wireless sound quality.

Fact is I am selling my business next year and it is the only reason I use a smartphone. I will be ditching my smartphone and getting a basic talk and text only phone. I am in my late 50's and find I simply don't need or want a smartphone for personal use. So my DAP will be my only portable source for music. I will save about $100 a month ditching the smartphone. I have an OOMA for my home phone and pay less than $6.00 a month for unlimited long distance so a basic talk and text phone is all I need for on the go. I simply don't get the smartphone addiction or the crazy cost that comes with owning one.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #2,947 of 3,003
Hey guys!

I’m new here and my first time posting on a thread.

I just want to share the battery longevity of my A105. I let it play from 100% to 5% and it lasted for 30hrs playing mostly flac and a couple dsd files.

Honestly, i’m very much impressed and satisfied especially for its clarity and sound signature.

Attachments

• AE2BBC8E-C991-4EC0-8BFD-8CF9E1E8E322.jpeg
    AE2BBC8E-C991-4EC0-8BFD-8CF9E1E8E322.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,948 of 3,003
Hey guys!

I just want to share the battery longevity of my A105. I let it play from 100% to 5% and it lasted for 30hrs playing mostly flac and a couple dsd files.(i wish i can post some pictures but, i don’t know how)

Honestly, i’m very much impressed and satisfied especially for its clarity and sound signature.
Welcome to Head-fi :beerchug: If you look at the top of the reply box(where you type your message) to the left of the smiley face is a button that says "insert image". Save whatever image you want to your pc and just drag-n-drop to that box that drops down.

Aug 31, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #2,950 of 3,003
Hey guys!

I just want to share the battery longevity of my A105. I let it play from 100% to 5% and it lasted for 30hrs playing mostly flac and a couple dsd files.

Music player is fine, but streaming services aren't. And that was the whole reason I got this Android based device to begin with.

Honestly I think I'll get a moon river 2 and use my phone, calling it a day for the A105 pretty soon. DAPs may be done, at least for me.

Aug 31, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #2,951 of 3,003
Music player is fine, but streaming services aren't. And that was the whole reason I got this Android based device to begin with.

Honestly I think I'll get a moon river 2 and use my phone, calling it a day for the A105 pretty soon. DAPs may be done, at least for me.
I've always enjoyed the concept of DAPs and have spent a fortune on them through the years. But for me I think the law of diminishing returns has really kicked in. The A105 is a nice device but in fairness my phone is more relevant. Regular updates, good battery life and decent enough sound via Bluetooth. Good quality wireless headphones are the nail in coffin for DAPs methinks. The Sony MX3s ( over ear and buds) paired with my phone are good enough for my aging ears. Having said all that I may invest again in a moment of weakness.

Aug 31, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #2,952 of 3,003

If you download the albums to your SD card then the streaming services don’t take nearly so much battery during playback. Not always practical of course but for those frequently listened to albums saving them offline saves a huge amount of battery usage.

Also the tidal MQA playback is horrific in battery so maybe stick with lossless.

Sep 1, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #2,953 of 3,003

Not all android DAP's are that bad for battery life when streaming. The Shanling M3X which is in the same price range as the A105 and offers better battery life when streaming not to mention excellent sound quality. I would never take the A105 over the A55 which is cheaper, better battery life, same power for less money. With the MrWalkman firmware it sounds alot better to. Been listening to my A55 for over 100 hours now with the custom firmware and damn it sounds good, much better than the A105. Sony kind of shot themselves in the foot with the A105 as it is not good for streaming (battery life) and the cheaper A55 can sound much better for less money if you don't need streaming.

The IFA show is this weekend in Berlin and Sony which usually has one of the biggest if not the biggest presence is skipping the show this year.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #2,954 of 3,003

I haven't had a dap for years, but recently got an itch for one so I bought the a105 a few days ago(haven't received it yet) and am looking forward to messing around with it, but I mostly stream Tidal more than anything and honestly I've been really enjoying my BTR3k. This little bluetooth wonder is amazing for IEM on-the-go duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back