The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Jun 2, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #2,596 of 3,003
Thanks for this great explanation. I’d rather just use Sony’s, but how can I use balanced IER-Z1Rs when there is only an unbalanced port unless I use the usb with a separate dac/amp?
Just go back to the unbalance cable.

Contrary to popular belief, the IER-Z1R has also been tuned for low output power devices. I've spoke with the head audio engineer of the IER-Z1R Kuwahara-san, he's tuned the IER-Z1R on numerous low powered devices including the Sony PCM-D10 DSD digital recorder where the headphone output is only 30mW and he said its one of his personal favourite unbalanced pairings. I personally also prefer the IER-Z1R on unbalance (60mW) over the balanced output (250mW) when I tried it on my WM1Z Walkman. While the Z1R scales you don't absolutely NEED 500mW+balanced for the IER-Z1R.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #2,597 of 3,003
Hi. I have a Sennheiser hd598. Can people here comment if the (clear audio +) on Sony A45/55 will make the hd598 more treble-oriented or more bass-oriented. Someone perhaps on this forum has commented that the clear audio + boosts treble as it is meant for cheap bass-heavy earphones. My biggest concern is that I don't want my hd 598 to start sounding sharper through the clear audio +. I like a warm and lush signature and I won't buy the Sony Walkman if the clear audio + is meant for enhancing treble or clarity. I want my hd598 to sound richer and warmer and I want to know if the clear audio + can make something like the hd598 warmer or sharper. I also want to ask based on people's experiences here whether the Sony A45/55 can drive the hd 598 comfortably or not.
Clear Audio + sound processing turns the SQ into a muddled mess in my opinion. Yes, it may give cheap headphones a "lift" but it turns the output into a bloated abomination. The HD598 are a respected headphone, I have the 558's myself and I wouldn't put CA+ anywhere near them. It sounds like a contradiction in terms to have CA+ on the same menu as DSEE Extreme. In fact CA disables all other SQ enhancement in the A105 when activated, which makes sense tbh. As you can see I'm not a fan :). Somebody else may be able to give a more technical reply on what CA does under the hood but on purely "listening" terms it sounds dreadful. AFAIK the Mr Walkman mod for some non Android devices removes it completely. On a side note the 598's are not intended to sound warm by design, their signature is quite neutral and I'm guessing this is your real issue. If you search around the net I'm sure you'll find suggestions on EQ settings to "warm" them up a little.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #2,598 of 3,003

Contrary to popular belief, the IER-Z1R has also been tuned for low output power devices. I've spoke with the head audio engineer of the IER-Z1R Kuwahara-san, he's tuned the IER-Z1R on numerous low powered devices including the Sony PCM-D10 DSD digital recorder where the headphone output is only 30mW and he said its one of his personal favourite unbalanced pairings. I personally also prefer the IER-Z1R on unbalance (60mW) over the balanced output (250mW) when I tried it on my WM1Z Walkman. While the Z1R scales you don't absolutely NEED 500mW+balanced for the IER-Z1R.
Thank you I appreciate this recommendation so much. Three questions!

1) What did you like better about the IER-Z1Rs on unbalanced cables?

What a streamline this will be to my kit. I was using the usb-connected BTR-5 like an in-line remote through its 2.5mm balanced port. In car mode it was pretty sweet turning on and off with the Walkman. Or I use the Q3 which is great also because it’s the same size (thinner through) as the walkman and has an actual 4.4 outlet.

2) So I understand best, there’s no real upgrade to ier-z1rs using a balanced cable with these specific dacs vs an unbalanced cable direct?

I’m traveling and don’t have my unbalanced cable along for the ride, but I suppose the ddhifi DJ44C 4.4mmF->3.5mmM adapter would work for the time being.

Finally, what is the proper Walkman app setting when connected to an external dap: dop or auto?

Jun 3, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #2,599 of 3,003
Thank you I appreciate this recommendation so much. Three questions!

1) What did you like better about the IER-Z1Rs on unbalanced cables?

A lot of the music I listen to are poorly mixed, so I don't like it when headphones are too focused on being resolving and would prefer details be dialled back half a notch for the majority of TOTL flagship headphones/earphones - after all my end goal is to enjoy music not enjoy equipment. With the IER-Z1R and WM1Z combo I find it a tad smoother on the unbalance output compared to the balanced output which is why I like it more like that.

2) So I understand best, there’s no real upgrade to ier-z1rs using a balanced cable with these specific dacs vs an unbalanced cable direct?

I’m traveling and don’t have my unbalanced cable along for the ride, but I suppose the ddhifi DJ44C 4.4mmF->3.5mmM adapter would work for the time being.

There's two types of "best" in this hobby - "objective best" and "subjective best". Objective best is what measures well, but that doesn't necessarily translate to subjective best. What is subjective best is something which only you can know yourself, because that is simply a personal preference, and everyone likes different things. This is why we have such a diverse selection of equipment with different characteristics in this hobby, else everyone will be making/owning HD800 which measures flat.

Finally, what is the proper Walkman app setting when connected to an external dap: dop or auto?

Just leave it on auto if it works, it should resolve the protocols automatically anyway.

Jun 6, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #2,600 of 3,003

nanaholic, for travelling efficiency, should it matter if I use the 4.4 cable plugged into a ddhifi 3.5mm adapter so I only have to bring one cable around? Or should I use the original Sony 3.5mm cable?

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #2,601 of 3,003
nanaholic, for travelling efficiency, should it matter if I use the 4.4 cable plugged into a ddhifi 3.5mm adapter so I only have to bring one cable around? Or should I use the original Sony 3.5mm cable?
A good adapter shouldn't make any difference to sound quality. So it's only a matter of convenience such as if you have another source that uses 4.4mm and you don't want to wear out the mmcx plug on the earpiece.

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #2,602 of 3,003
A good adapter shouldn't make any difference to sound quality. So it's only a matter of convenience such as if you have another source that uses 4.4mm and you don't want to wear out the mmcx plug on the earpiece.
I use so an adapter a Fiio piggy tail when i use my A25

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #2,603 of 3,003
Ok I’ve done some careful trials I’d like to share.

I obtained both my IER-1ZR cables and the original IER-NW510N headphones, set the NW-A100TPS on the table with my FiiO Q3 and a DDhifi usbc-usbc cable. Listening to Gene Ammons Boss Tenor

Test 1: IER-NW510N unbalanced. These are so easy to drive. They’re so light and fit your ear so well that they are a marvel, especially when you’ve been used to stuffing the IER-Z1Rs in your ear. Cutest headphones ever. I have no idea what the sound is for that they make when you tap their ends. Anyone know? Anyway, they sound excellent and you wish you could use them all the time since they’re so delightful. And the noise cancellation is respectable for a short commute, the ambient sound pass through is excellent. They pair so well with the Walkman functionally that you feel bad removing them.

Test 2: IER-Z1R unbalanced. So much cleaner than the IER-NW510N. Whole different experience as you could imagine. Memorized the profile and moved to balanced

Test 3: IER-Z1R balanced. Initial impression is more separation of instruments but I don’t want to believe it. I doubt myself. I focus and memorize the string bass resonance, the ride cymbal clarity, the saxophone echo, the placement of each instrument vis-à-vis my head, the sound temperature, the sound of the drumstick on the snare rim.

Test 4: IER-Z1R unbalanced. Seems warmer, instruments more scrunched together. I refuse to believe it because balanced is only supposed to be about interference. All tonal qualities are the same, but warmer.

I go back and forth several times refusing to believe it.

Then I realize: when the USB DAC is plugged in it bypasses the Walkman audio settings which all strive to reproduce analog / vinyl experiences rather than live experience.

Test 5: IER-Z1R unbalanced with Sound Direct turned on in the audio settings of the Walkman. Bingo. It wasn’t the cable. It was all the analog settings I had turned on that were only being utilized when I was plugged directly in. Listening to it now I have the same separation of instruments, the same tonal qualities. There is indeed a more personal and up-close warmth, less surgical performance as if I was there, as opposed to the balanced cables which, as you say, seem more about an exhibition of the tech than the live music reproduction.

Unbalanced seem more natural. Balanced seems like I have 6 ears and a direct speaker hooked up to each patching through an individual instrument performing from an isolated sound room.

nanaholic, I’m with you. This Walkman with these IER-Z1Rs unbalanced is really delightful, the combo has spread a smile across my face.

Two questions: 1) What is the beep for touching the end of the IER-NW510Ns on either side? 2) If someone wanted to, noting that there is extra space in the Walkman around the 3.5mm port or where the lanyard attaches, would someone be able to just add or swap the port for a 4.4mm balanced port?

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #2,604 of 3,003
Ok I’ve done some careful trials I’d like to share.

I obtained both my IER-1ZR cables and the original IER-NW510N headphones, set the NW-A100TPS on the table with my FiiO Q3 and a DDhifi usbc-usbc cable. Listening to Gene Ammons Boss Tenor

Test 1: IER-NW510N unbalanced. These are so easy to drive. They’re so light and fit your ear so well that they are a marvel, especially when you’ve been used to stuffing the IER-Z1Rs in your ear. Cutest headphones ever. I have no idea what the sound is for that they make when you tap their ends. Anyone know? Anyway, they sound excellent and you wish you could use them all the time since they’re so delightful. And the noise cancellation is respectable for a short commute, the ambient sound pass through is excellent. They pair so well with the Walkman functionally that you feel bad removing them.

Test 2: IER-Z1R unbalanced. So much cleaner than the IER-NW510N. Whole different experience as you could imagine. Memorized the profile and moved to balanced

Test 3: IER-Z1R balanced. Initial impression is more separation of instruments but I don’t want to believe it. I doubt myself. I focus and memorize the string bass resonance, the ride cymbal clarity, the saxophone echo, the placement of each instrument vis-à-vis my head, the sound temperature, the sound of the drumstick on the snare rim.

Test 4: IER-Z1R unbalanced. Seems warmer, instruments more scrunched together. I refuse to believe it because balanced is only supposed to be about interference. All tonal qualities are the same, but warmer.

I go back and forth several times refusing to believe it.

Then I realize: when the USB DAC is plugged in it bypasses the Walkman audio settings which all strive to reproduce analog / vinyl experiences rather than live experience.

Test 5: IER-Z1R unbalanced with Sound Direct turned on in the audio settings of the Walkman. Bingo. It wasn’t the cable. It was all the analog settings I had turned on that were only being utilized when I was plugged directly in. Listening to it now I have the same separation of instruments, the same tonal qualities. There is indeed a more personal and up-close warmth, less surgical performance as if I was there, as opposed to the balanced cables which, as you say, seem more about an exhibition of the tech than the live music reproduction.

Unbalanced seem more natural. Balanced seems like I have 6 ears and a direct speaker hooked up to each patching through an individual instrument performing from an isolated sound room.

nanaholic, I’m with you. This Walkman with these IER-Z1Rs unbalanced is really delightful, the combo has spread a smile across my face.

Two questions: 1) What is the beep for touching the end of the IER-NW510Ns on either side? 2) If someone wanted to, noting that there is extra space in the Walkman around the 3.5mm port or where the lanyard attaches, would someone be able to just add or swap the port for a 4.4mm balanced port?

You made me try and see on the beep on my IER-NW510N. Mine don't do anything when I tap them. Because they are unvented, I do get some driver flex (tink sound) if I push on them. Maybe that's it?

I agree that they sound pretty good for what are apparently $125 iems, although my A105 came with them (NW-A105HN)...

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #2,605 of 3,003
You made me try and see on the beep on my IER-NW510N. Mine don't do anything when I tap them. Because they are unvented, I do get some driver flex (tink sound) if I push on them. Maybe that's it?

I agree that they sound pretty good for what are apparently $125 iems, although my A105 came with them (NW-A105HN)...
Ah yes you’re right it’s a kind of tink when I press my fingers over the porthole. Funny that the left has a lower tone than the right, I thought it was a volume function! Just for fun I think I’ll use these when commuting to use the Walkman’s sound functions.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #2,607 of 3,003
Jun 10, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #2,608 of 3,003
Glad you found what you like, this is what matters the most instead of striving for "best specs".

The IER-NW510N are active noise cancelling earphones which works with Walkmans that supports it. The extra pole in the plug is most likely for the microphone needed for ANC and when you touch it making the beep sound is toggling ANC On/Off.

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #2,609 of 3,003
I have tons of dsf files that the Walkman isn’t reading the .cue of: no album art, no artist name, no album title etc in the detailed song information. They all end up in an untitled or unknown folder.

How do I edit this data on the micro sd from the Walkman or iPad? I’m traveling and not near a computer. What I find online are instructions for editing it from what is either an old Walkman app or the non-android version.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back