The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Dec 3, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #2,461 of 3,003
Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #2,462 of 3,003
Just in....
https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/c...o-close-after-36-years-3400-workers-affected/
Sony closing a pretty large factor in Malaysia where they make quite a large number of devices from the Walkman collection, including the A100 series.
Even the XM3 headphones are exclusively manufactured in Penang, Malaysia. I wonder what other of the 100+ devices they used to manufacture here will be affected.
Interesting, would this possibly affect or further delay the potential successor to the A100-series? I was really trying to hold on for the next one considering the A100 was released last year, to see if they would release a new model this year but it wasn't likely so I got the A105 instead last October.

Dec 13, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #2,463 of 3,003
Bought ath msr7b recently to compliment mdr-1am2. Msr7b performance is excellent with a105.
Msr7b needs little bit more volume, for example on 1am2 if volume is 80/120 for msr7b needs 84/120 to give the same volume level.
866E19F8-0F78-4854-A377-B966052D9E47.jpeg

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #2,465 of 3,003
Finally took the plunge after doubting for a long time. Got a blue NW-A105 (EU) because it was new for 200 euro on Amazon Italy and returning to Amazon is easy.

The doubt was mainly because of the EU volume cap but for that price i was willing to take a risk. I was eyeing a ZX507 for a long time but with the EU volume cap and because i don’t use balanced it did not make sense for me to get a ZX507 so A105 it became. I don’t want to deal with international warranty issues so i preferred a EU seller.

Currently trying it out with Moondrop SSP which i have to set the volume on 100. The Moondrop SSP is a bit hard to drive. Tried a few other iem on the A105 and the volume is mostly set between 55-95. Campfire Andromeda 2019 works for me on 55-65. Thieaudio Legacy 3 on 75-85. Shozy Form 1.1 on 80-90. I mainly use iem’s so i will probably keep it as it is loud enough on these settings.

64183842-AA04-4C70-A4D6-2164F059B3CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #2,466 of 3,003
Finger poised over the add to basket button on Amazon due to the price drop but have a question. I guess it is better just dragging the files over to the SD card but what is the best software for tidying up my music library and sort out things like missing albums art and correct the title names etc?

Dec 21, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #2,467 of 3,003
. . . but what is the best software for tidying up my music library and sort out things like missing albums art and correct the title names etc?
I've been using Mp3tag on Windows for almost 5 years now, haven't had any complaints and was also able to ask some questions in their forums for some things I wanted to do but didn't know how.

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #2,468 of 3,003
Finger poised over the add to basket button on Amazon due to the price drop but have a question. I guess it is better just dragging the files over to the SD card but what is the best software for tidying up my music library and sort out things like missing albums art and correct the title names etc?
MusicBrainz Picard is the best for picking up missing metadata, except lyrics (fails after a few songs, doesn't find lyrics for many songs).

MediaHuman Lyrics finder is the best for adding missing lyrics, and incredible fast.

Music Bee is the most comprehensive software for music management including synchronization, it has MusicBrainz on it. But I just run MediaHuman Lyrics Finder independently on the library, works faster and overall seems better than the integrated one.

Jriver is pretty good, the media management is very impressive and the features go way beyond MusicBee but the interface, price and bugginess isn't worth it for me. Maybe if you use it for other types media of media too and as an HTPC it is a pretty solid choice. But for music alone? Nah. I'll miss the crazy DSP options and some extra features. You can give it a try, but the interface in this year isn't exactly inspiring.

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #2,469 of 3,003
MusicBrainz Picard is the best for picking up missing metadata, except lyrics (fails after a few songs, doesn't find lyrics for many songs).

MediaHuman Lyrics finder is the best for adding missing lyrics, and incredible fast.

Music Bee is the most comprehensive software for music management including synchronization, it has MusicBrainz on it. But I just run MediaHuman Lyrics Finder independently on the library, works faster and overall seems better than the integrated one.

Jriver is pretty good, the media management is very impressive and the features go way beyond MusicBee but the interface, price and bugginess isn't worth it for me. Maybe if you use it for other types media of media too and as an HTPC it is a pretty solid choice. But for music alone? Nah. I'll miss the crazy DSP options and some extra features. You can give it a try, but the interface in this year isn't exactly inspiring.
Agree on musicBee. I also use sonys own now-discontinued MediaGo. It fairly basic but despite having only categories for songs, albums, Genres, years, folder and artists . You can still search by composer on the search box and it filters correctly. Tough for media management it uses GraceNote music database.
MediaGo for me has two major drawbacks a) it messes with your music tags unless you set it to not scan GraceNote for "missing" song info (I have also my music files as read-only to avoid this issue). B) slow transfer speeds to walkman (unless you do the right mouse clixk-hold-and-drag trick to reveal a secret menu and choose never convert option, then it becomes blazing fast)

Jan 7, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #2,471 of 3,003
Hi all

Just bought a ZX507 and am loving it.

A few questions

1) I’ve updated the firmware and am using Sony 1000XM4 headphones both wired and wirelessly. When wireless I’ve looked at the Sony Headphone app and it’s telling me I’m using AAC DX Extreme. I thought these devices connected with LDAC? I’m using Tidal Masters in MQA as my test source.

2) is there any way to beat the volume limit? I’m also using a set of Audeze LCD1 headphones and at maximum level (120) they are still only just loud enough.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #2,473 of 3,003
1) I’ve updated the firmware and am using Sony 1000XM4 headphones both wired and wirelessly. When wireless I’ve looked at the Sony Headphone app and it’s telling me I’m using AAC DX Extreme. I thought these devices connected with LDAC? I’m using Tidal Masters in MQA as my test source.
I haven't used XM4, but XM3 limits the codec to SBC if you have the in-app EQ enabled. Not sure if that applies here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back