The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Dec 4, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #1,381 of 3,003
Hi Everybody!

I've just bought a Sony NW-A105 walkman (which I'll use with a pair of Sennheiser IE800 in-ear headphones). The gear isn't yet arrived. My question is: how it performances compared to the Astell and Kern AK70, for example? What do you think, guys?

Dec 4, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #1,382 of 3,003
Hi Everybody!

I've just bought a Sony NW-A105 walkman (which I'll use with a pair of Sennheiser IE800 in-ear headphones). The gear isn't yet arrived. My question is: how it performances compared to the Astell and Kern AK70, for example? What do you think, guys?
I'd imagine (depending on where you are) the biggest difference will be volume.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #1,386 of 3,003
For the past several months I was very tempted to get an iBasso DX220 + AMP9 Nutube module as I fell in love with the Nutube sound ever since I tried the Nutube on the Cayin N8 (I couldn't justify the Cayin N8 because while I like the Nutube output I don't particularly enjoy the 4.4mm output of the Cayin N8 over my WM1Z, so it wasn't going to be a worthy replacement for me, plus that thing runs HOT). When I saw an Oricolus NT1 Korg Nutube portable amp in a bargain bin sale (roughly 150USD) last week I impulse bought it to see how I would like it first with my WM1Z, with the idea that I could get an A100 as the source at the back of my mind as I had a fairly good idea of how the output of the A100 compares to the 3.5mm output of the WM1Z. Plus with the added bonus of able to use the A100 to feed my Shure KSE1200 elecstat system as well.

Long story short, I bought a A100 (A105 to be exact - the 16GB model, in blue) yesterday.

Since I know the Sony software inside out and already have other modern Sony players, I fired up the A100, pulled the 200G SDcard from my WM1Z and put it in the A100, music was read in no time with all my playlists intact and organised just the way I like it. Pain free software experience that I think is absolutely worth paying the extra money for (one reason I did not live with the Hiby R3 for more than 3 months - the software is just terrible).

Currently enjoying it the A100 > NT1 Nutube amp > Final MAKE 2 at my office desk, very musical sound. The stack is also perfect as the size of the player and amp almost matches, and the thinness of the A100 makes the stack very manageable, with the add bonus of both devices running very cool and should play for 12+ hrs.

Maybe post some pictures when i get home.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #1,387 of 3,003
Good luck with Hiby. If streaming is not important, there are better Sony models out there with better sound quality and most importantly way better battery life than the Hiby eg. Sony ZX-300

Yeah again I would love to get a ZX300 but the price in Canada is $700.00. Simply way to far out of the $300 price range I am willing to spend. The M9 cost me $279.99 and it will be about $265.00 for the R3 Pro which is not in Canada yet. So the R3 Pro is still a wait and see proposition

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #1,388 of 3,003
I just came back from Japan, was wandering around Sony A105 series, it's about 32000 yen before additional 7% off at Bic Camera and Yodobashi Camera... At the end, did not buy

Except accessories such as eartips.. Spiral Dots, MandarinE Symbio wide which is slightly above 1000 yen,

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #1,389 of 3,003
Getting nervous about sound level of UK model.

Will quickly test, if too quiet will repack and return to Amazon, then order japanese version. Which will incur pita extra customs charges no doubt.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #1,390 of 3,003
People would love having the volume limiter taken off.

Not sure if the volume limiter can be taken off at Developer Options , please have a try if you have a volume locked A105.

To enable Developer Options, open the Settings screen, scroll down to the bottom, and tap About phone or About tablet. Scroll down to the bottom of the About screen and find the Build number. Tap the Build number field seven times to enable Developer Options .

Then enter Developer Options to see any volume lock options..

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #1,391 of 3,003
Oh. I might try that On Friday when I get my UK model.

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #1,394 of 3,003
There's an AVLS option in settings, but i'm not sure if there is another volume limit on top of it.

That's the nag warning, not the actual cap (as far as I know). Japanese version has that to turn on/off (defaults to off).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back