The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Sep 7, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #392 of 3,003
Finally I'm happy that I haven't bought the WM1A and waited for the ZX500. It's exactly what I need and assume the sound will be much better than my ZX1. Therefore it should be fine, can't wait to hold it in my hands and hear the music the first time from it.:heart_eyes:

Sep 7, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #393 of 3,003
Sep 7, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #394 of 3,003
Well, MSRP is $499 AUD ($340 USD) for NW-A105 and $1,199 AUD ($820 USD) for NW-ZX507 in Australia.

Considering the ZX300 can be had for $549 AUD ($370 USD) and WM1A at $1,199 ($820 USD), seems like the new Walkman is going to be pretty poor in terms of value down under. For Android players, an M11 is $699 AUD (regularly on sale for $620 AUD or $424 USD on eBay) and a Hiby R5 has dropped to $509 AUD ($341 USD) on eBay once already.
Hey, from what store can one get the ZX300 for $370?

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #395 of 3,003
Hey, from what store can one get the ZX300 for $370?
It used to be widely available on joybuy for 340-380 (even once at 300 bucks) but last year they suddenly decided to exclude 99% of the world, so now unless you live in the US or Russia you have to use a taobao agent and order directly from China but they have sales of circa 320030 fairly often, so even with the added agency fees and higher shipping price you can still get one for circa 370-380 bucks.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #398 of 3,003
Fair enough but the question is are the Chinese DAP issues enough to justify spending alot more on a Sony DAP for the same features? You also can't say for sure that these Sony DAP's will be perfect either. Yes My M7 has issues but they don't affect the daily use for the most part. As long as I use it in sleep mode then the slow boot is not as annoying and I only add tracks periodically. Sure I would love to have some of these issue fixed but I can't justify paying almost twice as much to not have these issues.

You have to decide if you can live with the Chinese DAP issues. I couldn't with the Shanling M0 and sold it, overall much happier with M7 and it sounds great. The A105 will have to blow my doors off in every way to get me to buy one and the specs alone don't do it for me.

Jesus.. sorry I wrote so long. Don't realize till I was done lol.
Twice the price might be worth it. Here's my thinking on why.. I've owned Sony phones before and I've owned 2 Sony Daps so far, a wm1a and the zx300. Performance has been/was amazing on all devices.. and it was amazing consistently. The ONLY issue I have with the zx300 is that once I load on new music, it has to register it and it can take a little while.. About 10 minutes I think. That's it. It runs perfectly. I never restart it.. except every few months. The battery does not drain on idle. That's something I won't ever deal with again. My fiio x5 did that and it was dead all the damn time.

My old z5 compact was awesome as well. It was fast, had great battery life, and no issues.

As someone else said, Sony is the ONLY dap maker with a history of making cell phones. This means that you can bet the daps will be ironed out. It's no guarantee, but you wouldn't be any kind of fool for having that confidence.

I really don't know how I feel about the zx500, but that a100 looks very promising. Besides that it doesn't have a 4.4mm port, it's pretty loaded, and it's in the perfect form. Also, 26 hours of battery life?? How does that not blow you away my dude? I don't think any other dap has that. The wm1a has 20+ I think.. But also Sony :p

The thing that worries me the most about most Chinese daps is longevity. I fear that they will crap out, bog down or their issues will get tiresome enough that I will eventually just stop using them.. I don't want anything to get in the way of just enjoying my music.

If I didn't want streaming so bad, the zx300 would be the perfect dap.. minus playlists being a bit annoying.. But if you have your music well organized, that's not the end of the world.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #399 of 3,003
Finally I'm happy that I haven't bought the WM1A and waited for the ZX500. It's exactly what I need and assume the sound will be much better than my ZX1. Therefore it should be fine, can't wait to hold it in my hands and hear the music the first time from it.:heart_eyes:

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on the SQ difference to the ZX1.

I wonder if the ZX507 can also record audio like the Japanese ZX1 can. Love that feature and replaces the need to resurect my Hi-MD recorders.

20190907_185922-1612x907.jpg

20190907_185929-1612x907 (1).jpg

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #402 of 3,003
Twice the price might be worth it. Here's my thinking on why.. I've owned Sony phones before and I've owned 2 Sony Daps so far, a wm1a and the zx300. Performance has been/was amazing on all devices.. and it was amazing consistently. The ONLY issue I have with the zx300 is that once I load on new music, it has to register it and it can take a little while.. About 10 minutes I think. That's it. It runs perfectly. I never restart it.. except every few months. The battery does not drain on idle. That's something I won't ever deal with again. My fiio x5 did that and it was dead all the damn time.

My old z5 compact was awesome as well. It was fast, had great battery life, and no issues.

As someone else said, Sony is the ONLY dap maker with a history of making cell phones. This means that you can bet the daps will be ironed out. It's no guarantee, but you wouldn't be any kind of fool for having that confidence.

I really don't know how I feel about the zx500, but that a100 looks very promising. Besides that it doesn't have a 4.4mm port, it's pretty loaded, and it's in the perfect form. Also, 26 hours of battery life?? How does that not blow you away my dude? I don't think any other dap has that. The wm1a has 20+ I think.. But also Sony :p

The thing that worries me the most about most Chinese daps is longevity. I fear that they will crap out, bog down or their issues will get tiresome enough that I will eventually just stop using them.. I don't want anything to get in the way of just enjoying my music.

If I didn't want streaming so bad, the zx300 would be the perfect dap.. minus playlists being a bit annoying.. But if you have your music well organized, that's not the end of the world.

Actually I believe Fiio started from a smartphone background as well though not as well known as Sony. The A105 looks great don't get me wrong but based on the $$ I am hearing it would be twice what I paid for my M7. If it doesn't have enough power to do justice for my recently purchased NAD Viso HP50's which are powered very well by my M7 and they sound amazing together then nothing else matters.

As for longevity I am not to worried about a $200 DAP, if I get 2 years out of it I will likely be looking to upgrade. If I spend $400+ on a DAP then that becomes a much bigger concern. I would have to get 4 years out of the A105 for example for it to be worthwhile or sell it for a reasonable return. Just one more reason I don't spend more than $300 on a DAP.

Sep 8, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #403 of 3,003
I really don't know how I feel about the zx500, but that a100 looks very promising. Besides that it doesn't have a 4.4mm port, it's pretty loaded, and it's in the perfect form. Also, 26 hours of battery life?? How does that not blow you away my dude?
The problem with the nw-a100 is that it is barely more powerful than a smartphone. Hell, it can barely drive properly Sony's own xba series and, for instance, can't drive Sony's ier-m7 and m9. That's ridiculous because they release a $400 DAP that can't drive their own iems and headphones. Honestly, if they had updated it even slightly at 50mW+50mW I would be more inclined to get one as I love the nw-a series form factor, but it just really limits the stuff I can use it with and that's not OK at this price. It was kinda acceptable at half the price but now it's really not. Essentially you need at least a sony zx300 in balanced even though there a $150 chi-fi DAPs that can do that single-ended

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #404 of 3,003

Apple says hello?

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #405 of 3,003
The problem with the nw-a100 is that it is barely more powerful than a smartphone. Hell, it can barely drive properly Sony's own xba series and, for instance, can't drive Sony's ier-m7 and m9. That's ridiculous because they release a $400 DAP that can't drive their own iems and headphones. Honestly, if they had updated it even slightly at 50mW+50mW I would be more inclined to get one as I love the nw-a series form factor, but it just really limits the stuff I can use it with and that's not OK at this price. It was kinda acceptable at half the price but now it's really not. Essentially you need at least a sony zx300 in balanced even though there a $150 chi-fi DAPs that can do that single-ended
Even an old ipod classic could do 60mW + 60mW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back