The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Mar 6, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #2,521 of 3,003
Any UAPP users here? I’ve been testing a multitude of settings to get UAPP correctly bypassing the android audio stack on the A105 and believe I’ve cracked it. Could others give this a try and report back any issues?

the glitches I’m seeing are occasional stutter in the first second or two of a song, possibly a buffering problem, I haven’t worked this out yet. Also some unstable play/pause behaviour after initially setting this up so after applying the settings reboot your device. MQA is only performing the first, software unfold, it doesn’t appear to pass the remaining work to the DAC and from what I can tell there is no MQA flag to enable this. Again something I’m still working out

Using Hi Res Driver with the following settings is mostly stable and passing the sample rate correctly..
HiRes driver flags : Direct
HiRes driver Audio Format : 32-bit
Bit Perfect Mode : ON
Upsampling : OFF
Buffer Size : 1310072 frames

keen to know if this works for you.

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #2,522 of 3,003
Just to follow on from my previous post, UAPP has now been updated in the play store to correctly detect the NW-A105 DAC so no need to set up manually, it’ll just work.

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #2,524 of 3,003
Does anyone use theirs without a tempered glass screen protector? I never use them. I really don't like them. I usually use flip cases. But the only one I can find for this is the Sony one. And the price is prohibitive! Wondering if I can get by with just a case? How easy does the screen scratch? What's the hardness level of the screen?

I scratched my screen recently so probably a good idea. not sure how i did it. Luckily it's not noticable using the device, but there goes the resale (not sure it has much tbh with what's gonna happen to it's battery in a few years anyway). I'll just end up keeping it as a keepsake I think, whenever i no longer use it.

Mar 23, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #2,525 of 3,003
What’s the consensus on this player? Is it truly good for music streaming? I’m thinking about doing Spotify hi-fiDoes the battery get hot still? I’m wondering how good the sound is. The NW-A55 is great, but curious about this one.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #2,526 of 3,003
But any feedback would be great. Especially about battery life. Make get the final fantasy edition one

Mar 23, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #2,527 of 3,003
But any feedback would be great. Especially about battery life. Make get the final fantasy edition one
So you mentioned a FInal Fantasy Edition one. This led me to a long google search seeing what other editions are out there.
These are just the NW-A100 ones I saw. The A35 and A55 have a lot as well.

Now to answer your question. Battery life is ok, I can get through a good 3-4 hours using Tidal (don't usually listen that long) without worry but I will need to be charged right after. Overall, the battery could be better it only lasts a good amount of time using the Sony Music app. I don't think the sound signature will disappoint you but the ability to drive headphones might as even with the Non-Eu versions the power from this thing is not so great (in my opinion it's a Sony thing). If all you got are IEMs (not like TinHifi P1) you'll be good. It'll depend on the headphones and the power they need. I use my sony with the Campirefire Cascade and I'm happy with the results, volume is only up at 60/120 the majority of the time.

NEODAI-70724.jpgl_ts153201_kimetsu01.jpg1000012384_detail_019.jpg92e3e3a12e2e621d5f8d7dd6fff71041.jpg

Mar 23, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #2,528 of 3,003
So you mentioned a FInal Fantasy Edition one. This led me to a long google search seeing what other editions are out there.
These are just the NW-A100 ones I saw. The A35 and A55 have a lot as well.

Now to answer your question. Battery life is ok, I can get through a good 3-4 hours using Tidal (don't usually listen that long) without worry but I will need to be charged right after. Overall, the battery could be better it only lasts a good amount of time using the Sony Music app. I don't think the sound signature will disappoint you but the ability to drive headphones might as even with the Non-Eu versions the power from this thing is not so great (in my opinion it's a Sony thing). If all you got are IEMs (not like TinHifi P1) you'll be good. It'll depend on the headphones and the power they need. I use my sony with the Campirefire Cascade and I'm happy with the results, volume is only up at 60/120 the majority of the time.

NEODAI-70724.jpgl_ts153201_kimetsu01.jpg1000012384_detail_019.jpg92e3e3a12e2e621d5f8d7dd6fff71041.jpg
That is short battery life. But then again, was there an update by Sony to help extend it? Still, mostly for music playing with occasional streaming. Thanks for the info

Mar 23, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #2,529 of 3,003
That is short battery life. But then again, was there an update by Sony to help extend it? Still, mostly for music playing with occasional streaming. Thanks for the info
Battery life is much better with native Walkman app when listening offline. I'd say 10-12 hrs easy.

It also charges very fast with a good fast charger. I can get 50%+ charge in 30mins.

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #2,530 of 3,003
Battery life is much better with native Walkman app when listening offline. I'd say 10-12 hrs easy.

It also charges very fast with a good fast charger. I can get 50%+ charge in 30mins.

Even at those battery life figures that is like 25% of previous models. That means charging 4x+ more often which means battery life expectancy 4x+ less. Not a fair trade off given how much the A105 costs.

Mar 25, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #2,532 of 3,003
I scratched my screen recently so probably a good idea. not sure how i did it. Luckily it's not noticable using the device, but there goes the resale (not sure it has much tbh with what's gonna happen to it's battery in a few years anyway). I'll just end up keeping it as a keepsake I think, whenever i no longer use it.
Yeah. I put one on. It was a pain. But I'm glad I did because it doesn't seem as tough as my phone's glass.

Mar 25, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #2,533 of 3,003
if battery life is at all a concern, don't buy it.

Not planning to, just pointing out the economics don't work when it comes to battery life vs power output. When Sony does release a new model with better battery life it will be an even bigger disappointment. The A105 is a bit of a black eye for Sony based on previous models. Look for Sony to address this with a new model for 2022 leaving current A105 owners holding the bag. Should hear something this summer if Sony planning on updates. Rumors of Sony replacing WM series DAP's with a new high end android model for next year. With so few models in their stable Sony can't afford the battery issue in the A105 to cost it sales for very long (by far the biggest complaint in user reviews).

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #2,534 of 3,003
I wish my issue was the battery life. I totally got used to it. What I can't used to is Spotify taking 10+ mins to even start barely functioning. Maybe my memory is a crappy one, I don't know. This was not a good purchase for me.

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #2,535 of 3,003
Seems like most android based players have short battery life. Same applies to my FiiO M6. Guess this is no different. Maybe I should stay away from Android based players 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back