The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Feb 15, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #2,506 of 3,003
Somehow, Sony MediaGo dumbs down my HR files to CD when it transfers them to my Zx-507. It keeps them hi-res in the library. I figured I missed some setting,

Help!

Thanks!
I have been using Neutron Music Player and JRiver to sync my Sony. Got sick of mickey mouse options with MediaGo and too basic music management. MediaGo was deprecated sometime ago was it not (2018)?

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #2,507 of 3,003
Does anyone use theirs without a tempered glass screen protector? I never use them. I really don't like them. I usually use flip cases. But the only one I can find for this is the Sony one. And the price is prohibitive! Wondering if I can get by with just a case? How easy does the screen scratch? What's the hardness level of the screen?

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #2,508 of 3,003
Does anyone use theirs without a tempered glass screen protector? I never use them. I really don't like them. I usually use flip cases. But the only one I can find for this is the Sony one. And the price is prohibitive! Wondering if I can get by with just a case? How easy does the screen scratch? What's the hardness level of the screen?

i found out very quickly the screen scratches quite easily. I cut down a matte protector from a Nintendo switch and it works just fine.

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #2,509 of 3,003
I have a protector but can't recall where I got it from. There is a Tuff-Luv leather case wrapping my NW-ZX2.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #2,510 of 3,003
i just got the BestForYou screen protector. Installs and works well.

9F4ACDAF-3E04-443A-A5DD-408079FC3C8B.jpeg

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #2,511 of 3,003
Hi.
can any uk users confirm this still has volume limiter as someone on another site states after update 4.01 the sound was louder. Also does anyone plug this into their hifi amp....is it powerful enough?
Struggling to decide what to buy....iBasso dx160 , Hiby r5, Sony 105 or wait for new Shanling m3x . First world problems I know but have to keep occupied through this lockdown!

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #2,513 of 3,003
Hi.
can any uk users confirm this still has volume limiter as someone on another site states after update 4.01 the sound was louder. Also does anyone plug this into their hifi amp....is it powerful enough?
Struggling to decide what to buy....iBasso dx160 , Hiby r5, Sony 105 or wait for new Shanling m3x . First world problems I know but have to keep occupied through this lockdown!
Buy one on Amazon and return if not loud enough? M3x looks interesting but limited to android 7. Hiby looks interesting, but the most expensive.

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #2,514 of 3,003
Hi.

Based on how the volume limitation works, and also based on checking my own A105 after the last firmware update, the limitation is not removed. Honestly, I'm not sure they're gonna remove the limit just for UK so soon, or maybe they'll never do it. They would have to change some basic stuff about the firmware, which I just don't see Sony doing on already released players.

I would say that NW-A55 would be a better deal, as it has a line-out output (using a special and very cheap cable), which sounds better than what comes out of the 3.5 port (as you mentioned using it with a Hi-Fi amp). You also get a BT Receiver function, to stream audio from a device to the A55 via BT, and also a USB DAC mode, functions which are not available on the A105.

A55 is the same size as the A105, but it doesn't run Android, the battery lasts longer, and it's cheaper than the A105. You also have the possibility to install custom firmware which can improve the sound quality, and you can also remove the volume limitation for EU devices.

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #2,515 of 3,003
Based on how the volume limitation works, and also based on checking my own A105 after the last firmware update, the limitation is not removed. Honestly, I'm not sure they're gonna remove the limit just for UK so soon, or maybe they'll never do it. They would have to change some basic stuff about the firmware, which I just don't see Sony doing on already released players.

I would say that NW-A55 would be a better deal, as it has a line-out output (using a special and very cheap cable), which sounds better than what comes out of the 3.5 port (as you mentioned using it with a Hi-Fi amp). You also get a BT Receiver function, to stream audio from a device to the A55 via BT, and also a USB DAC mode, functions which are not available on the A105.

A55 is the same size as the A105, but it doesn't run Android, the battery lasts longer, and it's cheaper than the A105. You also have the possibility to install custom firmware which can improve the sound quality, and you can also remove the volume limitation for EU devices.
Thank you for your response, I will certainly look into what you’ve said.

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #2,516 of 3,003
I have the Sony one but still prefer the Benks one. I have an excellent thin glass screen protector.

Oops, wrong thread, I have the ZX507.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #2,518 of 3,003
So how is this the wrong thread when I own a NW-A105 and was asking other owners about the durability of the screen? And if they found that a protector was necessary?

I think he said it for his own post, and he just didn't think of removing the quote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back