The SOHA II Tube Thread
Jan 4, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #17 of 99

holland

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 15, 2007
Posts
2,210
Likes
22
Amperex 6189. Big fat bass. Somewhat weird mids. Slightly boosted in some areas and slightly recessed in others. I haven't spent enough time with it, but I'm not sure I will. Most of my listening is with headphones that are fun (DT990, K240 Sextett) as the first tier. This pushes it too far for me. It might be good for something like the K701 (at least to me).
 
Jan 4, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #18 of 99

Hayduke

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 15, 2006
Posts
1,125
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
buy em all!


Who will pay for them all?
tongue.gif
Unfortunately, I'm starting to have those thoughts knowing that tubes are non-renewable resource
frown.gif


I'm just wondering if there are cross reference charts anywhere that show tubes are equivalents. I realize that any with the same pin layout, and heater power specs that are close, will work, but short of trying to find data sheets on every tube listed on the vendor's site, I'm not sure where to start. Well that's not entirely true, I am starting on this thread
wink.gif
 
Jan 4, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #19 of 99

holland

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 15, 2007
Posts
2,210
Likes
22
^^

Get a job! :p

There's not really a cross-reference that I know of, though this might help https://www.tubeworld.com/12au7.htm. All the tubes being mentioned are 12AU7 family. 5963, 5814, 6189, 12AU7, 7730, 7316, 6680, ECC802. They vary slightly, but I don't know all of it offhand. I know the 5963 has lower plate voltage max, and is a computer tube. 5814 and 6189 are lower noise military tubes. 8416 is not a 12AU7 but a 12.6V version of the 6922. My favorite so far.

The SOHA II can also use 6.3V heater tubes like the 6922 and 6DJ8. The russian tubes are a different beast. I have those, but haven't upgraded my transformer yet. I think I'll save those for my Bijou.

Rolling tubes is an interesting thing, but I think it's coming to the end of the road for me and I'm getting bored of it. I have a couple more orders arriving soon, and then it's the end of the SOHA II era for me.

BTW, I put back the RCA 5963 and I'm giving it a good whirl again with my Sextett. It's a remarkable tube. Quite Hi-Fi, IMO. The articulation and detail and separation is a definite stand out . I just wish it had more bass. Overall, I think they still don't have the balance I am looking for. I will try these again with the HD650. I think these might be a good complement for them (with the BD137 or BD139 output transistors not with the other set I tried). I'll try them with the HD650 in a few days.
 
Jan 4, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #20 of 99

Hayduke

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 15, 2006
Posts
1,125
Likes
10
OMG Holland!
eek.gif


I was hoping those prices were in some currency other then US dollars
frown.gif


I'd love to buy them all but there are some in there that are ~$1000 a pair! This company obviously knows a lot about tubes and has provided excellent info about the tubes, but they may to be too expensive for me. I'll have to study it a bit more. At least I have some model #s to look for.

Thanks for the link.
 
Jan 4, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #21 of 99

wolf18t

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 8, 2008
Posts
305
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SOHA II can also use 6.3V heater tubes like the 6922 and 6DJ8. The russian tubes are a different beast. I have those, but haven't upgraded my transformer yet. I think I'll save those for my Bijou.


Holland, what russian tubes are you refering to? Do they need a higher heather current?


Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was hoping those prices were in some currency other then US dollars
frown.gif


I'd love to buy them all but there are some in there that are ~$1000 a pair!



I'm a tube newbie too but I think those tubes now belong more to collectors (and investors) than audiophile. They might sound very good but not worth the price asked...
 
Jan 5, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #24 of 99

Hayduke

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 15, 2006
Posts
1,125
Likes
10
So let's say I wanted to order some tubes (and likely sockets) from Audio Tubes - Vacuum Tubes - ESRC Vacuum Tubes

A couple that seem to get favorable reviews are 5963 and 6922. How are those listed in their catalog? Holland likes 12AU7's, but how do I know the brand? ESRC1 seems to offer RCA brand 12AU7s, should I get a set of those and the others to compare?

I'm willing to spend a little money, but I'm hoping to keep it under $100 for tubes.
 
Feb 23, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #26 of 99

Alcaudon

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 3, 2006
Posts
204
Likes
35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just wondering if there are cross reference charts anywhere that show tubes are equivalents. I realize that any with the same pin layout, and heater power specs that are close, will work, but short of trying to find data sheets on every tube listed on the vendor's site, I'm not sure where to start. Well that's not entirely true, I am starting on this thread
wink.gif



Hayduke, I use this site: TDSL Tube search it lists equivalents and links to other sites with more information.

You can even download a software (for free) that does exactly the same, but you don't need to have an internet connection
wink.gif
.
TDSL PE

Hope it helps!!!
 
Feb 24, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #27 of 99

lacrossebowe8

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 7, 2008
Posts
267
Likes
11
Nice site. I just got some tubes:

12AT7WC JAN Philips NOS-12AT7WC 2.0 $9.95 0
6189 / 12AU7WA NOS-6189 2.0 $11.95 0

One of the 12at7's is defective and the 6189's have such a high noise floor I won't use them, at least not for my grado's.

Anyone have some suggestions for a quiet tube?
 
Feb 24, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #28 of 99

Hayduke

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 15, 2006
Posts
1,125
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alcaudon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hayduke, I use this site: TDSL Tube search it lists equivalents and links to other sites with more information.

You can even download a software (for free) that does exactly the same, but you don't need to have an internet connection
wink.gif
.
TDSL PE

Hope it helps!!!



Awesome! thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I ended up ordering 6 pairs of tubes
tongue.gif

So far I've only listened to 2 types for more then 2 minutes. Mostly the 6DJ8s. I really love the sound, but I'm planning to try them all. I told myself I'd swap every week or so, but it's been more then that already. Too busy enjoying the music. Since the most popular here has been the 6189, I've been saving them for last, but I think they will be next
wink.gif
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top