The Skullcandy Appreciation Thread
Sep 22, 2009 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

sampson_smith

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, Skullcandy was named one of Entrepreneur Magazine's "Top 100 Companies to watch in 2009" after all, and this year has brought a particularly impressive lineup of amazing 'phones from Grado, Sennheiser, Jerry Harvey and Ultrasone. So that has to mean something, right?

I will go on the record and state that I am definitely not a big fan--the middling sonics, to me, are less of a drawback than the louder-than-a-bomb style-assault--but I would like to assume that if there are fans out there, they would like a chance to redeem this oft-abhorred brand. This thread is loaded, so feel free to fire away! Time to throw your headphone bling in the ring.
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 50
I love my lowriders! They are so awesome, I need to carry an aluminum baseball bat to keep the chicks at bay! I ordered the camo ones so hopefully they will be invisible against my head while I shop in the mall!

/I can't keep this up. Not even in jest. Sorry. Next person?

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
spam

Why? The OP isn't advertising anything or running a scam, so it's not spam.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 50
I think I stated this thread's purpose clearly, but to each his own. It is obviously not to incite contempt or rants about how bad the brand can be, but to see if there is a "chrome lining", so to speak. For instance, one of my co-workers, who is originally from Mauritius but moved to Canada two years ago, has had a recent "fashion-ation" with hip-hop. He loves the music, he loves the style. And he loves his Skull-crushers. In his case, where you've got a guy who previously rocked a half-broken RCA set from '82, I do see something positive about literally letting those around you know you love listening to your music with the aid of the best headset he's ever set his eyes on. If he was on this forum, I'm absolutely sure he'd have something positive to say.
smily_headphones1.gif

That said, this is clearly a loaded "appreciation" survey that will likely require a sense of humor. I'm fine with it coming off as ironic, in part, at least when compared to the many, more-warranted, better-established appreciation threads.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 50
Irony: Skullcandy Ink'd buds (the buds themselves) fit better than any of my UE Super.fi 5 Pro buds, so I just attached the Sc ones to my UEs lol.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, Skullcandy was named one of Entrepreneur Magazine's "Top 100 Companies to watch in 2009"

"Appreciation Threads" should be started by those of whom that appreciate said headphone, not by those who slam it from the get-go. This is clearly not one of those threads and is just another dissing thread with a different title; a sheep in wolves' clothing.

The reason for so many of these threads really boils down to jealousy, not necessarily that of the product but of the company; Skullcandy in this case understands marketing while the rest of the headphone developers; Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Ultrasone to name just a few simply do not. Why can't my headphone company be in the public eye, why isn't my choice in sound backed up by Entrepreneur Magazine's "Top 100 Companies to watch in 2009".

Maybe if all the effort that went into dissing Skullcandy and the likes went into pressuring Sennheiser and the likes we'd see the HD800 respectively priced for the mass market, and the likes of a headband replacement wouldn't cost more than an entire Skullcandy headphone.

Ridiculous.

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Appreciation Threads" should be started by those of whom that appreciate said headphone, not by those who slam it from the get-go. This is clearly not one of those threads and is just another dissing thread with a different title; a sheep in wolves' clothing.

Well, as best I can tell, there is no "appreciation" thread for this brand of headphone, however damning or not. Your cynical attitude helps to explain why. I think it's pretty clear that this is not a "diss" thread, but I agree that it is not destined to be the type of "appreciation" one that you are accustomed to either. Stating that I am not very impressed with them isn't what I would call "slamming" them at all. I was just curious if anyone has had any redeeming experiences, really. I bet a handful of people on this forum started with Skullcandy headphones (that, at that time, they thought were "good") long before they moved on to "Head-fi-approved" cans. If there's anything positive that came from that start point, that can be elaborated on here. If not, no comment needed.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW: I don't think that one need fear a sheep in wolf's clothing. The other way around though...
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 50
*Gets the ball rolling*

I bought my Sc Ink'd Buds after I bought my first decent headphones, the aforementioned UE Super.fi 5 Pros. I love them, they work perfectly for school, I don't need to worry about losing or breaking them and the sound is sufficient for what I payed. They do exactly what I need, they aren't particularly flashy either (dark red, white cable like standard iBuds.)

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 50
Just so happens the right channel of my sonys cut out today while working out, so it seems like these ink'd buds i got for free from a bookstore are gonna have to fill in the role. These things seem to be able to get insanely loud tho, i can't turn my ipod past the half way mark without cringing.

I think these retail for 10 bucks? 10 bucks a pop isn't bad for some dispensable buds like these. They sound good enough to still enjoy music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back