The Shenzhen Benjie BJ-T6 / AGPtek Rocker
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #496 of 775
Another advantage of rockboxing it is that you can sort files and directories in different forms, so you can hear albums in recorded order without having to mess with external software if your files don't have a number at the beginning. With original firmware they get sorted alphabetically. And, once you have created a database, you can search by album,artist,genre,...., so you don't have to scroll through all your files.

As I said before, it's like having a new, improved DAP.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #498 of 775
It's not just negative.I've just stopped using it for good.

Well now that it can be rockboxed, you now can have the feature you want. Anytime you press a button in Rockbox on the T6/Rocker while the screen is off (but music is playing) by default, it does what you pressed (pause, skip, volume, etc.) and the screen turns on from that button press. Avoiding the need to press the power button to wake up the screen, if you press skip, the song will skip and the screen will wake up at the same exact time.

You can also set it so that the first button press turns on the screen only and then the second button press does the action (which is what I use, because I like to wake up the screen and see the track info without accidentally pressing skip or something).

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #499 of 775
How stable has the RockBox port become? I've been sort of following because of the very positive experience with using RockBox on the Xduoo X3. Especially considering I'm looking to pretty much exclusively play CD rips into 16/44 flac files so the 24 bit music file downsampling isn't really an issue with the RockBox port for me.

Having mentioned it, does the Benjie T6 version downsample 24 bit to 16 to support playback?

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #500 of 775
How stable has the RockBox port become? I've been sort of following because of the very positive experience with using RockBox on the Xduoo X3. Especially considering I'm looking to pretty much exclusively play CD rips into 16/44 flac files so the 24 bit music file downsampling isn't really an issue with the RockBox port for me.

It's pretty stable so far aside from a few quirks/missing features. So far I've noticed that:
If you're playing music, and want to search through your music to queue up more on your playlist, scrolling through a long list of artists/folders tends to freeze a bit unless you slowly scroll one by one. Scrolling while nothing is playing is perfectly smooth with no issues.
Date/Time is missing, so a Rockbox theme that displays the time at the top of the screen will just show --:----
Bluetooth feature is currently missing. (not a big deal to me, while I do have a couple Bluetooth pairs, my main and best pairs of headphones are wired)
Plugging in to charge while listening to music works, but seems to stop as soon as it reaches full charge. The System info also doesn't display time remaining for the battery, just percentage.
Can't adjust volume on the system screens, only on the now playing screen.
Volume adjusts at very small increments so you have to hold volume up or volume down for a while to make a significant change.
Disk mode (plugging in the player to manage the music on your computer) isn't implemented in the build I used, but seems to have been added according to the thread on the rockbox forums, but this isn't a needed feature for me so I haven't bothered with it (I can always just do that in the stock firmware since it's dual boot or pop out the SD card and plug it into my computer).
Can't currently change font/background/selector colors in the theme settings as the buttons haven't been mapped properly for it, just have to stick with theme defaults.
Missing/not working plugins/games. These are really just extra so I don't mind that they don't all work (although I wish PictureFlow worked)

Having mentioned it, does the Benjie T6 version downsample 24 bit to 16 to support playback?

I've known about Rockbox's downsampling to 16bit and was curious about that too (I have a few 24/96 HDtracks releases). But I have no idea how to check if Rockbox is actually downsampling or not. One thing I will say though, everything I've listened to (16/44 or 24/96) has sounded phenomenal, and noticeably better than on the stock firmware. Everything just sounds balanced better (even without EQ settings or anything), and less harsh than on the stock firmware. I don't know technically why it sounds better, just that to my ears, it's a noticeable improvement.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #501 of 775
Well now that it can be rockboxed, you now can have the feature you want. Anytime you press a button in Rockbox on the T6/Rocker while the screen is off (but music is playing) by default, it does what you pressed (pause, skip, volume, etc.) and the screen turns on from that button press. Avoiding the need to press the power button to wake up the screen, if you press skip, the song will skip and the screen will wake up at the same exact time.

You can also set it so that the first button press turns on the screen only and then the second button press does the action (which is what I use, because I like to wake up the screen and see the track info without accidentally pressing skip or something).
Thanks for the post. It's just GREAT if it is really so. Where can I download the rockbox? Could you share the link?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #502 of 775
Thanks for the post. It's just GREAT if it is really so. Where can I download the rockbox? Could you share the link?

Download the .upt file here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wKUaxM4Zxs2850x5jeVBLI4DvbtbQTCJ/view

Download rockbox zip here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15x7KXfIK5Vd0SmlvS5zD7czdyQlJwpWB/view

Instructions for install:

Extract the folder out of rockbox.zip Take the folder out of that named ".rockbox" and put it directly into your sd card. Put update_rb.upt directly into sd card as well, and once in there, rename it to update.upt

Next you'll need to choose the update firmware option in agptek rocker settings. It should upgrade and then you'll have a choice to choose rockbox, the original agptek rocker os and some tools.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #503 of 775
Aside from the VERY slow volume change, I have zero problems with the Rockbox functionality on the Rocker, especially since the bass/treble was implemented. I greatly prefer that to EQ.
It is a little barebones compared to some other ports but if you're only using to play music, it's brilliant. Don't let the "beta" designation fool you too much, it is very stable.

I had a problem with it refusing to boot Rockbox after plugging the player into my PC, for some odd reason. But considering the player has no internal memory and Rockbox runs off the SD card, it's a non-issue. I just use a card reader to add music and charge it with my phone charger.

I'm cobbling together a custom theme for myself. 6 themes have been added in the last week or so. I haven't been this excited about Rockbox in at least 5 years. Honestly it was looking pretty dead until the Rocker came along.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #504 of 775
I'm cobbling together a custom theme for myself. 6 themes have been added in the last week or so.

The compatible themes are being uploaded here: http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=sonynwze370 as that device has the same exact screen resolution as the Rocker/T6.

I'm using lebellium Samsung-like as my 'Now Playing' screen for the full size artwork, and just the default theme (white text/black bg) for the base skin (using the 14 Ubuntu [bold] font from the lebellium Samsung-like theme)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #506 of 775
I have Rockbox running on three different DAPs at the moment and each has a better battery life than the original Firmware. I've never been certain if this is an inevitable result of running Rockbox or just a bit of luck. Has anyone got any idea if the Rocker has a improved battery life running Rockbox?

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #507 of 775
Sometimes luck, but there are certain devices they have made efforts to extend battery life. Last update for the Clip+ put it at near 40 hours.

Hopefully they do the same for the Rocker at some point, because the battery is honestly kinda crap. I need to do a battery test but I'd be shocked if it was much better than 8 hours.

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #508 of 775
I've known about Rockbox's downsampling to 16bit and was curious about that too (I have a few 24/96 HDtracks releases). But I have no idea how to check if Rockbox is actually downsampling or not. One thing I will say though, everything I've listened to (16/44 or 24/96) has sounded phenomenal, and noticeably better than on the stock firmware. Everything just sounds balanced better (even without EQ settings or anything), and less harsh than on the stock firmware. I don't know technically why it sounds better, just that to my ears, it's a noticeable improvement.

Rockbox downsamples to 16/44.1, or I believe 16/48. it'll play the 24/96 track, and the track info will show that it's a 24/96 file, but it truncates everything above 16/48.

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #510 of 775
In this case, I think battery life is worse than with original firmware,but not completely sure since i have recharged it before battery ran out everytime. My impression is that I'm in the 50% zone pretty soon though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back