The Shenzhen Benjie BJ-T6 / AGPtek Rocker
Feb 26, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #466 of 775
I have a few Inc, the Agptek Imp....and last week picked up a Hommie J2. . Popped in a small 16gb card gives me 24gb in total, Enough for now..... Very easy to use, sounds ok, . Depends what you want really.. We also have Sony mp3 players with fixed internal memory...And battery dies after full charge in about a day...and that's not being used, So some of the cheaper brands are still worth a look......

Feb 26, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #467 of 775
Different people want different features. It's never even occurred to me that having to turn the screen on is a problem, it certainly isn't for me and the way I use my DAP.

Exactly. I tend to always listen to full albums, and almost never skip songs. To accidentally skip a song with the screen off would be worse than to be able to skip a song with the screen off. If I really want to skip, I don't mind turning the screen on. It is important to me to be able to change the volume with the screen off, which I can.

Would it be nice to be able to toggle a 'skip with screen off' function? (getting to choose which way it is) Sure. But it's totally not a required feature for me.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #469 of 775
You literally can't change songs with the screen off. That seems pretty negative to me.
I just viewed that as the cheapest way to implement a button lock mechanism. So could get used to it because the player was so inexpensive. As a listener to music, that is one or more albums at a time, instead of songs where skipping the current random order offering makes much more sense.

OTOH having to turn the unit on, then push a button indicating that I want to change the volume and then another button to actually make the change is awful. So different strokes… folks.

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #470 of 775
Exactly. I tend to always listen to full albums, and almost never skip songs. To accidentally skip a song with the screen off would be worse than to be able to skip a song with the screen off. If I really want to skip, I don't mind turning the screen on. It is important to me to be able to change the volume with the screen off, which I can.

Would it be nice to be able to toggle a 'skip with screen off' function? (getting to choose which way it is) Sure. But it's totally not a required feature for me.

Even if you accidentally skipped a song, you could just skip back?

I've had a ton of mp3 players in my life, most didn't have lock features. I don't think I have ever accidentally skipped a song.

This is literally the only player that I have ever found that doesn't let you do that. All I wanted it for was a cheap gym mp3 player, and it fails miserably at that. The clip plus/zip was perfect, just no longer made.

Feb 27, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #472 of 775
Even if you accidentally skipped a song, you could just skip back?

I've had a ton of mp3 players in my life, most didn't have lock features. I don't think I have ever accidentally skipped a song.

This is literally the only player that I have ever found that doesn't let you do that. All I wanted it for was a cheap gym mp3 player, and it fails miserably at that. The clip plus/zip was perfect, just no longer made.

What I meant was, accidentally skipping in the middle of a song (which has happened to me). I listen to a lot of Progressive rock, with songs that are sometimes over 20 minutes long. To accidentally skip a song in the middle and then have to go back and find my place is an annoyance (and also breaks the flow of the song).

I have a Rockboxed Clip Zip which I used for a while and loved, but I love the sound quality of the Benjie T6 more.

If you really want to skip on the T6 with the screen off, just use a pair of bluetooth headphones. Most have a track skip feature (holding the volume button in for a few seconds to skip) which works with the screen off. Pausing also works with the screen off this way (now THAT I wish the T6 could do on its own with the screen off). Also the Clip Zip doesn't have bluetooth either, so that's another thing the T6 has over it.

And if you can't part with your wired headphones, just get something like the JLab Gravity or Tunai Clip which will turn any pair of wired headphones into a bluetooth pair.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #473 of 775
Got my Rocker v2 today and I really like it. It's so much nicer than what I expected from the pictures. I'll like it better when the Rockbox port is done but it's still very usable.

It's a fingerprint magnet and some of the keymapping is very non-intuitive, but once I got my equalizer settings dialed in I haven't had to mess with it too much since. It just plays music and at least to my ears does a fine job of it.

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #475 of 775
IMG_20180301_224507.jpg
Early beta of Rockbox is now available according to Wodz at the Rockbox forum. You have to build it manually though. I looked at the instructions and not sure I'm up for it.

Looking great!

Mar 2, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #479 of 775
… Looking great!
Could you perhaps help folks out who aren't capable of building it themselves by posting a completed build? Or is the install operation as complicated as the build? I haven't looked at it yet because I'm lazy so figured I'd wait until it was completed before looking into what was required to use it. I used RockBox since it was first developed and am surprised by how well it works on my Xduoo X3 even after all these years.

Mar 2, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #480 of 775
Could you perhaps help folks out who aren't capable of building it themselves by posting a completed build? Or is the install operation as complicated as the build? I haven't looked at it yet because I'm lazy so figured I'd wait until it was completed before looking into what was required to use it. I used RockBox since it was first developed and am surprised by how well it works on my Xduoo X3 even after all these years.

The build process is actually quite simple as long as know your way around the Linux terminal... The install process is extremely simple, you install a modified update package from settings and drop the rockbox folder in the root of your sdcard.. Then you're able to choose between rockbox and the hiby player at boot... The port is pretty functional but has certain crashes here and there (opening some apps/games crashes rockbox and the device restarts, trying to use certain features causes this too)... As for sharing the build, I'm not sure if that is allowed :/... Since wodz himself would've shared a build if he felt like it... I'll ask him if I'm allowed to share this build on that thread and post it here if he's okay with it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back