The Sennheiser "veil"
Jan 29, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #31 of 372
they are veiled... they hide detail that is. now i'm not comparing to some 325i or K701, i'm talking in comparison to things like the GS1K or K1000.

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #32 of 372
I wonder how many of those reporting a "veil" are actually getting a "veil" from one of their pieces of source equipment?
GI = GO
blink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #33 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are veiled... they hide detail that is. now i'm not comparing to some 325i or K701, i'm talking in comparison to things like the GS1K or K1000.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
I'm sorry, but with my ears/ setup they have plenty of detail!! Now other people percieve more detail with other headphones because of their ears/setup. So lets leave it at that.

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #34 of 372
The following post on Headfi was submitted in September 2001 by Vertigo-1. It is a very early and well written comparison of high-end headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Alessandro Pro, Grado HP1, Sony MDR-CD3000, and Sony MDR-R10. That post is probably the first that mentions an alleged "veil" associated to the Senns on these written forums (no blaming here Vertigo, I really liked that review):

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...veil#post20385

I don´t think the Senns have a veil. For the record, my ears are of the kind that wouldn´t have the Sony CD3000 or the Beyer DT880 as main headphones: simply too bright for me. Some people absolutely enjoy and love these other headphones though, and I can understand it. I think if you are particularly sensitive to specific freq. ranges in the upper mids and lower treble, then you won´t tolerate any prominence there, any brightness and/or sibilance could start being too annoying even after short listening periods. At least that´s what I think happens to me with those other headphones. But if you can´t take any prominence in those freq. ranges, you also probably won´t find anything missing in the Senns. That's all speculation of course, but in any case, no veil in the Senns for my ears. I concede, ymmv though.

Jan 29, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #35 of 372
Based on my experiences with the HD580, the veil is ~4 db recession in the upper mids, around 3.5-4khz. The HD580 is also not the most detail revealing can. By a significant amount too (IMHO) compared to the K701, K501, RS1, A250, and PK1.

IMHO these characteristics give it a distant, semi-cloudy kind of sound, that someone eons ago called a "veil".

Veil is probably too strong of a word. IMHO the treble sparkle on the 580 is very good and lively.

Jan 29, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #36 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BeatDeadHorse.gif

Is that horse wearing Grados?

Jan 29, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #37 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the thing...whereas I do appreciate the Grado sound, the timbre of the instruments sounds more "right" to me on Sennheiser headphones, especially on more acoustic work.

Agreed.

Jan 29, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #38 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Veil is probably too strong of a word. IMHO the treble sparkle on the 580 is very good and lively.

If we want to generalize on headphones....yes, the Senns have less midrange then an AKG or Grado. However, that doesn't mean they're completely lacking of it.....and having a more refined midrange also brings out more bass and treble extension IMO. Now some people are turned off by its more subtle midrange (to my ears natural: but other people obviously percieve it differently): especially when we're directly comparing to AKGs or Grados. Just because a headphone has less of something, it doesn't mean it's completely lacking of it. So if there's more insisting that the Senns just are lacking of detail, I'm gonna continue to be a participant of the flame wars
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #39 of 372
Jan 29, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #40 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how many of those reporting a "veil" are actually getting a "veil" from one of their pieces of source equipment?

You took the words right from my mouth....
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #41 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BeatDeadHorse.gif

Best gif in a long long time!!!

Veil...some feel there is one, some don't. Those that feel the 580s/600s have one...upgrade to the 650s...or take out the foam...else they change companies (or maybe model lines...a la 595s). those that don't stick with them and amp them with the juiciest of amps and enjoy the sound.

HD650 + Headroom Max= bliss to these ears. HD600's + Max...close but less sparkle in the mids...you know...the veil
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #42 of 372
I own a SR60 as well as a HD650 and a HD595... There's no such thing as veil.
There are only different ways of presenting the music to the listener: more relaxed and more aggressive: Sennheiser and Grado. That's all.
To each one his own. Peace.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #43 of 372
I can't describe the Sennheiser veil because I don't hear it.

Sennheiser's high-end dynamics are well dampened and don't have excessive treble. I would describe them as controlled, natural sounding, and speaker-like in their presentation.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #44 of 372
OP now knows why it's refered to as the "V" word round here
wink.gif
...And others would just rather change the subject to emmm, music
rs1smile.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #45 of 372
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And others would just rather change the subject to emmm, music
rs1smile.gif

Yes, some of us enjoy music and don't snooze through live performances like others ;-}
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back