The Sennheiser Orpheus 2? A First Look At The Sennheiser HE-1 (The New Orpheus)
Oct 13, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #2,716 of 2,918
Oct 14, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #2,717 of 2,918
Nice. I am glad you are still on top of the clouds. My journey has upped a bit as well, my DAC has got better with the Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref II, and lately the Viollectric HPA V281, and the Norne Draug all silver into my LCD4s (2018). Sounds AMAZING!!

My learning experience in this is, the DAC matters a LOT more than I realised.

Did your headphones get shrunk in the wash? :grin:

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #2,719 of 2,918
Mm...ah...no. Not really. From the official manual:

As per official manual of the HE 1, nowhere does Sennheiser mention anything about replacing the earpads or headband padding to maintain sound SQ or performance. It clearly mentions “for reasons of hygience.”

Do you think Sennheiser would be so remiss NOT to mention that crucial piece of information on the HE 1 owner’s manual? That omission would be incomprehensible.

The second paragraph talks about replacing the pads, headband padding and tubes. Presumably this is not all a hygiene issue.

I tried to make it clear that I am speculating about Sennheiser's use of mechanical damping in these phones. However, I am not speculating about mechanical damping in regard to the 800 series, they have been explicit for many years that they do that, so they obviously know what the problem is. Given that there is a considerable amount of activity on mechanical damping by other other headphone and speaker manufacturers and most importantly for me what I personally know about how damping improves sound it would seem odd for them to ignore that issue in their TOL.

I also remember reading that these phones have amplification in the earcups. If that is so, Sennheiser could potentially use those amps to generate signals to cancel vibrations in the earcups. That would be fascinating. Recall that Senn has a number of noise cancelling headphones which operate in a related fashion.

I have experimented with many phones, a number of speakers, even transistor radios and the problem of stored mechanical energy seems to be universal. I would say that when you use spikes on your speakers you are trying to get rid of this energy. Grado uses a proprietary plastic to achieve the same goal, so it is not just about sorbothane.

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #2,722 of 2,918
https://sorbothane.co.uk/about/

11668_2017_264_Fig7_HTML.gif

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #2,723 of 2,918
A post with no mention of sorbathane? Well that is progress.

(Seriously, if you are going to post the same exact post over and over in multiple topics over the course of several years, you deserve a little light ribbing.)
and that ribbing would be made from sorbothane

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #2,728 of 2,918
mscaler for he1 system is called for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back