The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
May 3, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #931 of 2,080
I received my HD580s that I won in the contest from adanac61 earlier this week. I am very impressed with them! Right now I'm only listening to them straight out of my iPod, but I plan to buy an amp soon once I have a little bit of summer income.

They obviously shine in jazz and classical (first album I listened to was Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, when Coltrane came in on So What I was floored), but I'm impressed with their sound with rock and acoustic music too. I listened to Nick Drake - Pink Moon last night and it sounded great
smily_headphones1.gif

Listening to The Who - Tommy right now with the 580s and it sounds awesome too.

May 3, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #932 of 2,080
Selachii , I recently replaced my 580 cable with the 650 cable. The connections at the headphone ends are much tighter, actually difficult to unplug. At $12 (plus $5 for a plug adapter if desired--it has a 1/4" plug) it's a very good deal. I recommend you try it if you're having a problem with the headphone connections.

May 3, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #933 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Klarnet Basowy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the problem is well known, but it's not the cable itself, it's the springs in the headphone housing, that tends to loose with time

seems that Sennheiser has solved this problem with the hd650 (talking of the same type of plugs)

the "new" Senns (HD595 etc) have different plugs

Selschii was having problems with his cables, having to replace them repeatedly, not with the springs within the housing. The HD650 cables may well help with this.

May 3, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #934 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must have the "old' version, without any cable upgrade and without the HD600 screens. You'll also need a good source and amp.

When you have all that... you'll find they sound a lot like the SR225s.

I like the 225's/ I'm wearing a pair now but why would you want your 580 to sound like a Grado. Grado's and Sennheissers have different sounds. Both awesomer in their own way but different. I just woodied a pair of burnt in 225's and now I cant pry them from my head. Either too much glue or they are sounding good. My favorite headphones are the Sennheisers and I;ve got a little stash I bought from Brianf on Ebay last time he had some up. I'm going to keep the extras as who nows when they'll be available again new for $250 to my door.
I'm in Canada. The 600's can be had for under $300 now but theirs a certain something special about the 580's being on tie with the 600's for my favorite phones. The Denon D5000 have to be mentioned when talking favorite phones.I'm learning Grados have their charm. I'm just new to Grados and they do their thing well.

May 3, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #935 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the 225's/ I'm wearing a pair now but why would you want your 580 to sound like a Grado. Grado's and Sennheissers have different sounds. Both awesomer in their own way but different.

Agreed. I'm not looking for one sound signature. Each pair I have has it's own unique presentation. Some shine for certain genres. They give each performance their own flavor.

May 8, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #936 of 2,080
I am a new appreciator of these wonderful headphones. They are a little light on the bass side, but with a flip of the bass switch on my lyrix pro amp, all is well. Interesting note about the cables wearing out, I wonder if that'll happen to mine.

mitchb maybe you are tied between the hd600 and 580 because they have the same drivers? After acquiring some 600 grills and slapping them on, Bam! i have a prettier version of the hd600's
smily_headphones1.gif
Now, if i can figure out how to get rid of my hd555's..

-Happy Listening

May 8, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #937 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheisers have a two year warranty. You just have to be sure you picked them up from an authorized dealer.

No, it has ran out of warranty. I am wondering if some of the people who do cable mods can do a headband replacement? Sennheiser should repair it for money, at least.

May 8, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #938 of 2,080
So; after a couple of years since the Grandkids got the wiring harness of my MS-1 caught in their computer chair, the wire finally failed and now I gotta really repair them. But now I can't use the MS-1 for guitar practice.....the MS-2i sound great with guitar but they're too heavy and they fell off once on my new Gretsch....never, never again!

So now I'm using my HD600 for guitar practice and they're GREAT!! They don't have quite the sound of the Alessandros(Did Y'all know that Alessandro makes great guitar amps? Yeah; they do, great and super expensive guitar amps. It's their primary business!)but I gotta admit that the HD600s have a much more comfortable harness without that glompy "V" block that gets smashed into you while playing the guitar, and they don't fall off either!

I might like the sound of the Alessandros' a little bit better than the Senns for guitar practice, but the Senns are a lot easier to live with!

May 12, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #940 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PREVIOUSLY my 580 sounded veiled and lacked bass.
THEN the veil went away.
NOW they almost sound a bit bassy as well.

I am not sure how they actually sound anymore.

With the right set up... they may well be... "the best there is!"

May 13, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #941 of 2,080
So are the HD650 cables generally considered a worthwhile upgrade. I bought HD600 replacement grilles for my HD580s, admittedly, primarily for the improved looks and thought them worthwhile, but part of my original woes with my otherwise lovable 580s is that blasted uberlong stock cord. I'm guessing the 650 one is just as long? Unfortunately custom-made shorter cables tend to run more than I can really pay.

I'm actually just pairing mine with my laptop + Turtle Beach USB Micro Advantage and occasionally my home Onkyo setup. Even with this less-than-audiophile-idea setup, they're great.

May 13, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #942 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by tedtropy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are the HD650 cables generally considered a worthwhile upgrade. I bought HD600 replacement grilles for my HD580s, admittedly, primarily for the improved looks and thought them worthwhile, but part of my original woes with my otherwise lovable 580s is that blasted uberlong stock cord. I'm guessing the 650 one is just as long? Unfortunately custom-made shorter cables tend to run more than I can really pay.

I'm actually just pairing mine with my laptop + Turtle Beach USB Micro Advantage and occasionally my home Onkyo setup. Even with this less-than-audiophile-idea setup, they're great.

The HD650 cable is just as long... but... it sounds a lot better.

Can't you just coil / roll the cable up and fasten it with velcro ties near the plug in the amp to shorten it - seems like that would work fine?

May 13, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #943 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by tedtropy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's just as long and comes with a 1/4" plug, which I don't think you want. I would just buy a replacement 1/8" plug, chop you cord down to the size you want and connect the new cord. It's easier than it sounds.

May 13, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #944 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD650 cable is just as long... but... it sounds a lot better.

Can't you just coil / roll the cable up and fasten it with velcro ties near the plug in the amp to shorten it - seems like that would work fine?

That's basically what I'm doing with the cable now, it can just be a little annoying when traveling with the laptop, but yeah it's not ultimately a big deal. If the 650 cables are a dramatic sonic improvement I do believe I'll be looking into those. Thanks.

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #945 of 2,080
Ive recently got a pair of 580s that were new in the box.

According to the headband - they're made in Ireland, of all places.
Does this say anything about which production run theyre from? I know for example, that some are made in Germany.

Cant say I'm knocked out yet by any means - but these really havent had much if any play before, and Ive seen it frequently said here that they need at least 50 hours play-in, more like 100 hrs. Oh, and Im just playing it out of a Presonus firebox on my pc for now... Im hoping for a budget setup this'll do ok on the DAC side of things.

Im guessing a Darkvoice 336se might play well with these - seems to fit my budget anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back