The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Oct 27, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #1,891 of 2,080
The other problem I mentioned earlier is that my brother (or his son) handled the cans a bit roughly snd chipped up the plastic headband a bit on the 580s. Is there a fix for this or can any of you point me in the right direction for a replacement. I’ve searched the web with virtually no luck. Thanks!
Availability of headbands (not the cushions) is more difficult than it was recently with many vendors only selling restricted parts for the HD580/600/650 line.
A HD650 headband is part No. 549347.
A HD600 headband is part No. 586411 (Avantgarde) although this is the speckled one rather than matt grey.
Alternatively you could try here:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/9QKXAU59F/sennheiser-replacement-headband

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #1,892 of 2,080
I replaced the very long cables on my 580s with an after market set that, while it wasn't dirt cheap, wasn't expensive either. I don't think they've changed the sound. I've also got a new piece of headband foam and ear pads. The ear pads make a big difference to the sound and you can experience this by pressing on them to get the drivers closer to your ears. there is a point where everything changes for the better so I think I'll let the pads get to that point. It's a point where imaging, sound stage and clarity seem to come together. The one thing I'd like out of my 580s is just a little more depth and layering in the bass, especially for string instruments. I can start to reproduce this with some subtle EQ but I've read posts where owners have achieved this in other ways. Any ideas here? BTW, I removed the foam inserts that cover the drivers (came with my new ear pads) and this improves clarity.

Oct 27, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #1,893 of 2,080
The front foam on all Sennie 6 series headphones is a big part of the tuning. Removing it boosts the uppermids and treble considerably. My friend who is a big AKG fan has always hated Sennheisers…until he removed the front foams on his 600..and now he absolutely adores it:)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #1,894 of 2,080
Availability of headbands (not the cushions) is more difficult than it was recently with many vendors only selling restricted parts for the HD580/600/650 line.
A HD650 headband is part No. 549347.
A HD600 headband is part No. 586411 (Avantgarde) although this is the speckled one rather than matt grey.
Alternatively you could try here:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/9QKXAU59F/sennheiser-replacement-headband
It is possible to order a new version Romanian HD600 headband, instead of a marble (countertop) one. Then you can easily transplant 580 metal yokes (height adjustment sliders) together with driver capsules onto a matte grey headband ("Made In Ireland" tabs can also be transplanted, I think). Few months back I sent Sennheiser an inquiry about the replacement headband, just out of curiosity. This was their reply:

In regards to your request, we would like to let you know the following information:

We will be happy to help you. You can order the spare part for your HD 600 with the following article information from one of the local Sennheiser dealers:

Description: Kopfbügel komplett

Item number: 586415

Recommended retail price including VAT: 49€

You can find our dealer search under the following link, please enter your postcode and zoom in on your region on the map:

https://de-de.sennheiser.com/dealer-locator?product_name=HD+600

If you have any further questions about our products, please contact us again.

The process of buying the spare parts is not as straightforward as it used to be though, because you need to contact authorized Sennheiser dealers and ask if is possible to order the required parts through them. I know for sure that in Europe Thomann offers this service because I contacted them and they sent me this:

We would be happy to open a spare parts request for you. First however we need the following information:

- We need your customer number or if you do not have one please send us your full name, address, and contact details. We can then create one for you. Please also let us know if you have a delivery address that is different from your billing address.

Once we have the above information we will submit the request and our spare parts department will contact the supplier for a final price and delivery time before sending you an offer by E-Mail. This process generally takes 1-2 weeks although this can be longer depending on the specific parts and number of parts needed. Once you receive the offer you can choose to proceed or not. Please note that the 30 days money-back guarantee is void for all spare parts orders. So please let us know if you have any doubts or concerns prior to making payment.

Please note that we are unfortunately unable to provide spare parts outside of the EU except in warranty cases. We look forward to hearing from you!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #1,895 of 2,080
There used to be the non-countertop headband but I don't know if this is still available:
Part No. 586415 HD600 headband (plain)

Oct 28, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,896 of 2,080
As you can see in the reply I've got from Sennheiser, the item number/part number is the exact same one - 586415, so I assume it is available. I forgot to mention that when I sent the inquiry, I specified that I am looking for a replacement headband for a new version (Romanian) HD600, not the countertop one.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #1,897 of 2,080
Thank you for all of the responses, but I need a recommendation for a supplier to contact in the USA. The sennheiser website doesn’t seem to list that part as available - unless I’m being a dolt and looking in the wrong place. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #1,898 of 2,080
I"ve always wondered if there is a significant difference in sound betwen the 580s (I've got the Precisions) and the 600s. For example, is the bass different? Should I own both the 580s and the 600s? Searching for answers like this on the web has a been a hit and miss procedure and I still don't really know what the difference is like. It also raises the question about whether the tuning and other facets of the HD600 has been revised over time like the HD580s have.

Oct 31, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #1,900 of 2,080
This is a UK supplier so probs no help. I bought the avantgarde version after managing to sit on my 580s and break the yoke on one side but they sell both, or at least there is another listing for the avantgarde.

They will of course have the bright blue HD600 logos on the side though.

https://www.sennprospares.co.uk/shop/HD-600-Headband-complete-p357113606

Oct 31, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #1,901 of 2,080
I"ve always wondered if there is a significant difference in sound betwen the 580s (I've got the Precisions) and the 600s. For example, is the bass different? Should I own both the 580s and the 600s? Searching for answers like this on the web has a been a hit and miss procedure and I still don't really know what the difference is like. It also raises the question about whether the tuning and other facets of the HD600 has been revised over time like the HD580s have.
Both models have gone through a number of silent revisions over time, and the sound has changed as a result of those revisions. Most notably the baffle material changes, with the 580 there have been 4 different baffles, and the 600 has seen 3 different baffle versions. Crinacle has measured 3 different 580s with different baffles (source), which gives you an idea of how these differences show in the FR.

I've got a 580, 600 and 650 all with black silk baffles (produced between 1997-2006'ish), and found there to be quite a bunch of differences between each pair, even when using the same set of pads with each headphone to eliminate differences due to the earpads' condition. The 580 and 600 do sound more similar to each other than they do to the 650, but are still quite different. The 600 is more intense, has more upper mid - treble energy and bite, and is more in-your-face with its presentation. Although the bass seems mostly similar between the 2, the forwardness of the 600 does result in a lesser perception of bass presence. Timbre is also better on the 580 than on the 600.

I personally like the 580 more, and I don't think the 600 is worth owning as a complement unless you're a collector.

Nov 1, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #1,902 of 2,080
Both models have gone through a number of silent revisions over time, and the sound has changed as a result of those revisions. Most notably the baffle material changes, with the 580 there have been 4 different baffles, and the 600 has seen 3 different baffle versions. Crinacle has measured 3 different 580s with different baffles (source), which gives you an idea of how these differences show in the FR.

I've got a 580, 600 and 650 all with black silk baffles (produced between 1997-2006'ish), and found there to be quite a bunch of differences between each pair, even when using the same set of pads with each headphone to eliminate differences due to the earpads' condition. The 580 and 600 do sound more similar to each other than they do to the 650, but are still quite different. The 600 is more intense, has more upper mid - treble energy and bite, and is more in-your-face with its presentation. Although the bass seems mostly similar between the 2, the forwardness of the 600 does result in a lesser perception of bass presence. Timbre is also better on the 580 than on the 600.

I personally like the 580 more, and I don't think the 600 is worth owning as a complement unless you're a collector.
Thank you, you've answered my question, I'll stick with my 580s but one point - which version of the 580s do you own? Mine are Precision made in Ireland.

It will be interesting to read the Crinacle article.

Nov 1, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #1,903 of 2,080
A few times the left driver blew in my 580s, so I had it replaced. The left driver has been replaced twice, but the right driver is original. I can't hear the difference between the two drivers.

Nov 2, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #1,904 of 2,080
Tried my HD580 (2nd version flatplate) yesterday and no sound. HD650 cable was the first suspect but it works when swapped onto the HD650, so not the cable. Not the Centrance HiFi M8 either as this works with the HD650, so a signal is getting through to the drivers but no sound. The only thing I can think of is the springs that make the contact are not making a contact. But on both drivers ? Either that or both drivers have failed but that also seems unlikely. I didn't use them for two weeks before. I have some HD600 drivers (with the baffles), that I could fit as a temporary measure. From what I remember fitting replacement springs or replacing the driver only are quite difficult.

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #1,905 of 2,080
Replaced the drivers only with replacement HD600 drivers, works again. Left driver in picture can see two thin wires so perhaps springs not making connection. Right driver has no wire on left side so faulty.

Attachments

• 0D19DF69-96BD-48F9-B6A1-3897130A0617.jpeg
    0D19DF69-96BD-48F9-B6A1-3897130A0617.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back