The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Jul 7, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #92 of 672
Haven't heard the "new" version but if Sennheiser claims that there is no difference in sound i see no reason not to believe them. I may be wrong...

If there was substantial difference in sound, and for the better, wouldn't they be praising it at all doors and holes to get people to upgrade to the "new" version?

Just some thoughts...

Jul 7, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #93 of 672
There is very little "veil" with the HD580/600s, whether "new" or "old" version. The "new" version is just a bit brighter, and seems to have a bit more "slam" than the "old" version... but... both are exceptional. In fact, the "new" version can almost sound strident sometimes with some pieces - the "old" version seldom sounded strident, if ever... and... may even be a bit smoother, than the "new" version.

The "veil" is much more noticeable with the HD650s - there is a "night and day" difference between the HD580/600s and the HD650s in that respect, as well as others.

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #95 of 672
Thank you very much for your elaborated answer, very helpful. I still very interested in the AD2000 (your description in it is exact, from that i have readed (recently too)); as in it too, but the bass and speed in it (HD600), can't be enough for me (not sure completely, but...). Ahggr, this is a predicament...
Quote:

Originally Posted by windrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i listen to alot of jrock/jpop and yes definitely, there is a slight problem with the bass. It lacks punch for quite some songs/bass lines are not as pronounced/audible as i would like for some songs; I cant follow the bass line very clearly for some songs. Mids are also so ever very very slightly recessed, but i would say its less of a problem than the bass, and it sort of contributes to the soundstage maybe. i'm quite sure the mids can be improved to a very satisfactory level with a tube amp. Not sure if i'll ever get the bass punch i want though. Speedwise you probably wont complain if its your only headphone, but if you start comparing it to others like grado, you can notice quite a difference in speed. But other than that its a fantastic headphone for all types of music that i listen to, rock,jazz,ballads,jpop/rock (i dont listen to classical/rap/electronica though). Its ok if you dont focus too much on the bass but listen to the song as a whole. Although i dont listen to electronica, but if the recordings already have quite an emphasis on the bass parts, hd600 shld have no problems providing satisfactory bass. Its only slightly bass-light recordings and/or fast complex bass lines that they might have a slight problem with.

Also, from what i remember of the dt880, it had more low bass than the hd600. Ad2000 i cant remember if it was deeper or not, but it was kind of a different kind of bass, less bloom, punchier and very audible. Mids were also different on the ad2000; it had enough body, but was slightly bright, with emphasis on upper mids, and was much more forward. Parts were more seperated, but hd600 blends everything together better. I would say you really have to listen to yourself to decide which you like more, but at half the price of ad2000 its hardly possible to go wrong with hd600. Value wise hd600 for sure.

Hey donunus, the mids aren't recessed at all in my DT990 (very little at worst in reality) in my setup. The problem is that the upper mids, doesn't have the enough body and energy (aggresiveness) for the music that i listen more (the EQ helps much but not with the speed of the headphone mids).

About the AD2000, can be..., but my Arietta + crossfeed can help here with the mids, i like agressive upper mids (it convey the emotion in the music (well with aggresive music) it get your (as it's called here) toe tapping...). (Even, i feel sometimes the prominence in the DT990 mids (i think that it is in the medium midrange zone, and lower midrange) in some music and TV). {remember that i have the HFI-780 [I use it for less than 40 hours (while the drivers works]}
However the HD600 seems again very interesting, but i can be worried about this headphone performance (it can have excellent tonality, but even so, it can't totally involving/faster for my complete satisfaction...,). it's is a predicament, a difficult choice for a musical (and with a more mids emphasis headphone) the same for the Denon D5000 which is in the list too.
Where i can buy the HD600 (newer version headphone)?
Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Windrider,
About the recessed mids thing, Wilashort will not have a problem with the hd600s balance in that department I don't think since he is coming from the more recessed dt990s
biggrin.gif

Wilashort,
The ad2000s might actually overwhelm you with mids.

Overall, I find the hd600s mids more natural than any other can Ive heard. It will be recessed when you do an AB test with grados but of course who says grados are a good benchmark anyways. Grado vocals (I'm basing on lower end grados which should be similar in presentation to any other except gs1000) sound like the singer is always speaking in your ears while the hd600 gives a natural space between you and the singer. I am not sure what is more "correct" for the recordings intended purpose but the hd600 sounds more like there is a performance in your head with space between every member of the band while the grados sound more like everything is shoved directly into your ears.

Jul 7, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #96 of 672
Thats what I meant wilashort. If You think the dt990 mids are close to neutral then the ad2000 will be too much maybe. The hd600s are in between but they have a sweeter sound than both. As for the speed, The 600 isnt slow IMO. I feel that opinion is highly overbloated here on headfi. They actually have a more natural sense of speed than anything Ive heard except when you are talking about the bass. Its faster than beyers just to have a frame of reference. Grados to me for example are not really super fast either, they just seem like it because of the extra highs in the region where you will get fooled into thinking there is some major speed in the sound of the cans.

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #97 of 672
Over the weekend, I was able to listen to the DT990, HD600 and HD650 and Grado 225. They were in two hi-end Portland audio stores and plugged into meaty looking headphone amps.

I found vocals in the DT990 to be recessed and thin, but the phones did have a nice extension in both bass and treble. High notes were not shrill and the sound seemed to be pretty balanced, without particular emphasis on any notes. I definitely would not buy them because the sound had an airy quality as opposed to a weight.

My re-audition of the Grado 225 was pleasant. They presented a nice layering of sound and a fantastic clarity without being overly bright. I'm not sure if this qualifies as colored sound, but everything sounded like it had been bumped up an octave. Not an awful headphone at all, but I could imagine finding it fatiguing after a bit. The sound just had a high resolution quality to it that demanded attention, and that could be a drag after an hour or so.

The HD600 was great - more mellow than the Grado, more weight than the Beyer, fantastic vocals and full-bodied bass. Highs seemed natural and not rolled-off. The phones were comfortable too. I want to give them another listen to ensure I am really smitten, but I think they might be for me.

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #98 of 672
Maybe about the mids in the AD2000 can be too much for me with some Vocal songs (those that i listen are less frecuent and slower). But the majority of music/material that i listen is mixed (vocals/instruments/effects or only effects) and almost never vocals only.
I want a bigger impact in the music that i listen more. Specially that, that use a lot of electronic effects (well electronica, but somethimes it have a mix of various kinds of music as Techno and New Age (and others that i can't known that classification has)) and i think that the AD2000 is the most suitable for my likings.
Really i want to buy something different/radical to my DT990 and at the same time that complement my DT990.
The HD600 again seems interesting, but i think that it will not cause a very big impact in the music diferent to my DT990 that i listen more as the AD2000.
iIn other hand, the bass and treble isn't as important as the mids in speed, And yes, i understand what you say about grados.
The treble smoothness in this headphone (ad2000) is very benefical for me, because this headphone reach very high volumes that should be very sharp/shrill to bear than with other brighter headphones (MY DT990 are almost smoother with my setup but it doesn't reach very loud volumes with my amp (it only give me "ringing ears" when i listen music with much treble and artificial amplification added)).
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats what I meant wilashort. If You think the dt990 mids are close to neutral then the ad2000 will be too much maybe. The hd600s are in between but they have a sweeter sound than both. As for the speed, The 600 isnt slow IMO. I feel that opinion is highly overbloated here on headfi. They actually have a more natural sense of speed than anything Ive heard except when you are talking about the bass. Its faster than beyers just to have a frame of reference. Grados to me for example are not really super fast either, they just seem like it because of the extra highs in the region where you will get fooled into thinking there is some major speed in the sound of the cans.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #99 of 672
Both the ad2k and hd600 are great. HD600s jut give more organic mids. The ad2k is louder in the mids but boxy sounding timbrally in comparison

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #100 of 672
i finally decided to try hd600. sennheiser's $50 rebate program sounds very good.
where can i buy them at the lowest price?
amazon and ttvj have them at $300, and headphone.com has them at $320.
is there any other authorized dealer that sells (and accepts paypal payments) hd600 at lower price?

Jul 12, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #101 of 672
Now that I'm thinking about it...

With other headphones that I've tried, different sources/amps didn't make enough differences to make me turn from love to hate with any of them. I guess I was bothered in some way by each of the cans signature colorations more than what different amps would do to them.

With the 600s, Swapping amps is another experience altogether. It seems that my disease is going toward that direction instead of worrying about the headphones themselves
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #102 of 672
Got the darkvoice 332! Finally!

First impressions are that now the hd600s sound much less strained; more "alive", more forward, more detailed/dynamic, and overall sound smoother/less harsh now while not making the sound warmer than it was before.

Didnt get as much improvement in bass as i hoped to get though, but i'm hoping new tubes will improve on that.

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #103 of 672
got my hd600 last week. listened to them for several hours over the weekend.
i prefer these cans over hd650 by far. to me, hd600 sounds like hd650 and sr325i combined in ways that i like about them.
gonna DIY a cable with cardas connectors and spc wires tonight.

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #104 of 672
I LOVE MY HD600! they have become my #1 can over my SE530s and DT770s. now all i need is a good home amp for them instead of using my headsix. even with the headsix they sound great, i can only image how they would sound properly amped.

i haven't tried the hd650s but i'm not itching to either. i'm perfectly happy in ignorance lol.

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #105 of 672
Wow, today i went to my local hi-fi store to audition some headphones. I Listened to the sr-325i's, rs2's, hd595, hd600's

I always love the grado sound, but to me there were only subtle differences from my sr80's. Great sound but i'll upgrade my grados another time. So i decided to try out the sennheisers...

Tried the HD595's... gahh i wasn't very fond of them. It was too dark. It had a lot more bass and it felt that the highs were behind a silk curtain. So i tried something better along the line. The HD600's.

WOW.. These things are awesome.. bass is much more controlled, the highs are much more clearer and wow the soundstage. Much better than the 325i's. I'm certain this will be my next purchase, or the hd580's which i hear have the same signature with a different design. To my dismay, the local hi-fi shop is selling this baby for a whopping 600 dollars (Canadian eh..). Hopefully i can find some used pairs that are half this price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back