The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Jul 4, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #76 of 672
oh yeah, the volumes i listen to are dangerous. Just not as dangerous as what it used to be in the 90s hehehe its a good thing I can still hear high frequency extension

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #77 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I had the drivers replaced in my HE60 recently, the person at Sennheiser assured me that there is no difference in the HD600 or HD650 with dark or light fabric inside.

Someone should do an AB test with both versions. It is just weird that Gradofan2 says they are so different sounding but finds the ad2000 to be similar sounding to the hd600s. This doesn't make sense to me. I can't believe the difference is even close to making the two versions sound as different as an ad2k is to an hd600.

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #78 of 672
3 Sydney Head-fi'ers NismoHK, Covenant and I are going to test the new HD600's with the older ones. Also Nismo and I are also going to do a blind test on the effects of burn in with the HD600's. We bought 2 new pairs at the same time, one has been used for 15 minutes, the other one will have ~200 hours on it in a few days. We'll post our results when we finish our little experiments
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #79 of 672
This is a great experiment! pls post your results here or at least provide a link from this thread. I am very interested in to know the differences between the old and the new versions

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #80 of 672
yep would be very interested to know the results.

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #81 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3 Sydney Head-fi'ers NismoHK, Covenant and I are going to test the new HD600's with the older ones. Also Nismo and I are also going to do a blind test on the effects of burn in with the HD600's. We bought 2 new pairs at the same time, one has been used for 15 minutes, the other one will have ~200 hours on it in a few days. We'll post our results when we finish our little experiments
smily_headphones1.gif

Speaking of which, one of you guys is going to organise it, right? Fair play, I organised the big meet :p

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #82 of 672
yea no problem we shall discuss when Nismo comes back on Monday
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #83 of 672
Another happy user here. I've had mine for a good few weeks now, after they replaced both the HD650 and Proline 2500 in my system. My opinion back then was that they absolutely spanked both of those headphones, offering a faster, brighter, livelier sound than both, while still remaining extremely natural when they need to be. My opinion since then has not changed. I have never been so happy with a pair of headphones.

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #84 of 672
Seem very Interesting this headphone [well the new model (according with the little that i have read...), not the old model that is veiled and slower...], because and specially for his tonality (that make the voices (well that i think) sound real...)..., but...
The only issue, can be the bass (for sure) that it doesn't has enough slam and quality (as my DT990) for my satisfaction [(with trance (quantity specially) rock, Jrock (slam specially), electronica (bass in all aspects)], speed (fast Jpop (some trance, Super eurobeat, electronic classical, industrial (Most Descent music)), electronica, etc) and that it doesn't be faster enough with the music that i like most (see above; or my profile)...
Are the mids in this new headphone forward enough [AD2000 level (or slightly less), More than D5000 (not only slighly more, but a little bit (the least acceptable) or more] as for example a grado RS-2 at least (because i think that the sr325! and RS-1 are more forward)??
Ah, and is the bass deeper enough and stronger in that region (at least a 75% of my DT990 and that i can hear a* decent rumble at least the *15 hz zone) for electronica.
Donunus, which of the two has a bigger soundstage/headstage and better image, honestly? your AD2000 or it.
I still have a lot of interest in the AD2000, but the price is now a little higher than a short time ago.... And the tonality can worry me. I don't known if it sound as natural as my DT990.
Ah, with my Equipment, i can reach very loud volumes (even with normail volume music) and decent loud enough with low volume music?
And for last, which have a better midrange, the grado RS-1 or It
Thanks a lot.

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #85 of 672
The hd600 has better soundstage/ headstage than the ad2000 IMO. It also has a more natural sound than either the ad2000 or the dt990. Havent heard the RS1s but they are supposedly just a more refined grado which has a great midrange but not so natural at separating instruments in a 3d space. As for slam, the hd600s have enough of it for my enjoyment, just not the seemingly artificial slam that the ad2k gives to everything. I was just listening to Nirvana's In Utero MFSL edition yesterday and there was enough slam and layering and even such a grungy rock cd sounded so clean for what it was. A trick that the hd600 pulls that not many others can do.

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #86 of 672
i listen to alot of jrock/jpop and yes definitely, there is a slight problem with the bass. It lacks punch for quite some songs/bass lines are not as pronounced/audible as i would like for some songs; I cant follow the bass line very clearly for some songs. Mids are also so ever very very slightly recessed, but i would say its less of a problem than the bass, and it sort of contributes to the soundstage maybe. i'm quite sure the mids can be improved to a very satisfactory level with a tube amp. Not sure if i'll ever get the bass punch i want though. Speedwise you probably wont complain if its your only headphone, but if you start comparing it to others like grado, you can notice quite a difference in speed. But other than that its a fantastic headphone for all types of music that i listen to, rock,jazz,ballads,jpop/rock (i dont listen to classical/rap/electronica though). Its ok if you dont focus too much on the bass but listen to the song as a whole. Although i dont listen to electronica, but if the recordings already have quite an emphasis on the bass parts, hd600 shld have no problems providing satisfactory bass. Its only slightly bass-light recordings and/or fast complex bass lines that they might have a slight problem with.

Also, from what i remember of the dt880, it had more low bass than the hd600. Ad2000 i cant remember if it was deeper or not, but it was kind of a different kind of bass, less bloom, punchier and very audible. Mids were also different on the ad2000; it had enough body, but was slightly bright, with emphasis on upper mids, and was much more forward. Parts were more seperated, but hd600 blends everything together better. I would say you really have to listen to yourself to decide which you like more, but at half the price of ad2000 its hardly possible to go wrong with hd600. Value wise hd600 for sure.

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #87 of 672
Windrider,
About the recessed mids thing, Wilashort will not have a problem with the hd600s balance in that department I don't think since he is coming from the more recessed dt990s
biggrin.gif

Wilashort,
The ad2000s might actually overwhelm you with mids.

Overall, I find the hd600s mids more natural than any other can Ive heard. It will be recessed when you do an AB test with grados but of course who says grados are a good benchmark anyways. Grado vocals (I'm basing on lower end grados which should be similar in presentation to any other except gs1000) sound like the singer is always speaking in your ears while the hd600 gives a natural space between you and the singer. I am not sure what is more "correct" for the recordings intended purpose but the hd600 sounds more like there is a performance in your head with space between every member of the band while the grados sound more like everything is shoved directly into your ears.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #88 of 672
I started out in this hobby with a pair of Westone UM2's, a Ray Samuels Tomahawk, and an Ipod. This past Christmas I asked for a pair of Sennheiser HD600's, and I was amazed and enchanted the second I put them on and pushed play. They do sound incredible, they are a real treat, like ice cream for your ears. I have been pushing them with my SR-71, and I recently purchased an XP-7 and have dedicated it solely to the HD600's. I have been wondering if I really need to upgrade my cable for the Senns...I have been looking around at pretty much every cable maker, reading reviews and stuff. Any seasoned HD600 owners out there have any advice concerning an aftermarket cable? Thanks!

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #89 of 672
Several options for a cable to complement the HD600s... but... none sound much better with them than the HD650 cable, which is a "huge bargain."

The Cardas sounds great with them, as does the RAL Cryo-Silver... and... some like the SAA cable.

Do a search on the Cables Forum, and the Headphones forum... and you'll find more than you want to know.

Jul 6, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #90 of 672
I did some AB comparisons between the headphone out on my Marantz cd player and the Little dot MkIII on blues and jazz (my music preference).

All i can say, in my limited experience, is that the LD kicks ass with the Senn's. The mids are soooo fluent and emphatic and the highs are crystal clear. Although i DO love the sound of tube amps and would choose them over any solid state amps.

By the way, i have the "old" version of the HD600 and the sound cannot be described as veiled. I think it's misleading. The phones have rich texture around the music and that's about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back