The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Oct 29, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #526 of 672
The HD 600 does have slightly forward upper mids, I can see where some say that.But it is nowhere near as forward as the Amperior.. Or the HD 25.

I think the 600 is the best set of home headphones I have.They almost always put a smile on my face. On certain songs, the bass is a tad loose, 98% of the time, everything is just right.

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #528 of 672
The HD 600 does have slightly forward upper mids, I can see where some say that.But it is nowhere near as forward as the Amperior.. Or the HD 25.

I think the 600 is the best set of home headphones I have.They almost always put a smile on my face. On certain songs, the bass is a tad loose, 98% of the time, everything is just right.

I dont know what you'd consider upper mids, but I found they need to be EQed -2 or -3db@4khz. Sometimes I go a few db down at 120hz as well to minimize the bass hump. They lose some of their fun with these adjustments, but they do become more neutral, and the 4khz forwardness doesn't compliment certain vocals. I've never seen a headphone that didn't have some sort of "character" let's call it, and need some sort of EQ to be truly neutral or match exact personal preferences. Perhaps headphone manufacturers are afraid to make something truly neutral because neutrality=no character=no identity=no marketing uniqueness=no sales.

But then again, I didn't buy the HD600 for neutrality either, I bought it for those colored mids! (that I'm loving btw)  

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #529 of 672
The HD600s arrive...

They are comfortable. It took just a couple of tests to adjust the band to put the phones exactly over me ears, and the 'clamp' is not at all tight on my head. The ear pads press on different parts of the face, but I know I'll just get used to that.

The sound ---very much first impressions, barely an hour in--- seems polite. It makes me think of good hifi from a few decades ago. Everything is nice to listen to, but I'm not so sure that it shouldn't have a little bit more bite, a little bit more detail.

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #530 of 672
My second pair of higher end headphones after the grado sr 325is. I bought the schiit stack with it. Even though the combo may not be 100 percent "Audiophile" It almost brought me to tears when listening to orchestra. That's not to say it's bad with other music but it really shines
during orchestra/ classical music. I'm 18 & I have never been into loud music, so I have never damaged my ears. Hence, to me the hd 600 NEVER sounds "Veiled" & the GRADO just sounds annoying. So I will be returning the grados very soon.

5/5 for sennhieser.

And I don't think I will be upgrading for a long time either.

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #531 of 672
They are certainly joyful!

Somehow, I find my eyes closing and shutting out the internet in favour of just listening to the music. Purely subjective: can't put my finger on why, or define it at all. Can enjoy it, though!

After a few more hours, I think my brain is burning in nicely with these 'phones.

Let 50% of the possible buyers stop worrying about the fit. Those with bigger heads and rounder faces might find a problem, but those of us with smaller heads and thinner faces need not worry about it at all: there is no clam stress whatsoever, just a firm fit.

Here's my before and after, my two headphones...

I can see now why I feel more comfortable with the EQ reducing the bass to the HD600s: it is what I was used to. But, that slight reduction also gave me a feeling that it made the bass more controlled.

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #532 of 672
Call me mad or stupid but I've always EQ my Hd600 when running them from computers soundcards (creative ZxR at the moment) , I've always used headphones through a Computer and if I dont eq the bass it always sounds like a cheap £5  pair headphones  no matter what headphones I try.
Right now I running them  18db up on the last two bass settings  @  31 / 62 /  and  up 9db  @ 125 on the EQ freq settings  :)   through a bottlehead crack amp! 
I don't class myself as a real bass head!  but I just love that thump  bigger sound it brings I never listen to music hardly with out a beat of some sort. I'm going through a love hate relationship with the hd800s ..their in the box and I've got my old HD600s on now.....the HD600 are dangerous for me ....I always go back to them...I got so used to them over the years its hard to change now.
PS most of my music is old mp3's and listen to alot of radio stations 

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #534 of 672
I've got a sort of Franken HD 600 on it's way to me. Apparently, it's an HD 580 w/White Drivers, an HD 650 Grill n Cable... so I'm lookin forward to seeing what all the fuss is about :3 

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #536 of 672
Ugh.

So I enjoyed my HD600s for several years and then one day when I was cleaning the foam pads in front of the drivers .. they pretty much dissolved and tore into a million pieces of foam. So I instead just listened to them without the foam between my ear and the drivers. The problem is during that time I guess some hairs got through to the drivers and I started getting a crackling sound.

Fast forward to yesterday and the crackling was getting annoying. I opened up the headphones for the first time to remove the hairs/debris and when I snapped the driver assembly to remove it, one of the tiny wires connecting the voice coils to the connectors also snapped. :frowning2:

The wire that snapped is below in reference pic, the 'extremely thin filaments'

So now I'm without sound at all in that particular driver.

What would be the best solution here? Sennheiser wants ~$160 to repair it so that's out of the question.

Each new HD600 driver is ~$70 and each new HD650 driver is ~$50. I'm afraid if I just get one new driver it'll have an imbalanced sound since the other working driver is like six years old. And if I got two 650 drivers it'd save $40. But I've never heard them (HD650) and am unsure if I'd like them as much in the long run.

What would you guys do?

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #537 of 672
  Ugh.

So I enjoyed my HD600s for several years and then one day when I was cleaning the foam pads in front of the drivers .. they pretty much dissolved and tore into a million pieces of foam. So I instead just listened to them without the foam between my ear and the drivers. The problem is during that time I guess some hairs got through to the drivers and I started getting a crackling sound.

Fast forward to yesterday and the crackling was getting annoying. I opened up the headphones for the first time to remove the hairs/debris and when I snapped the driver assembly to remove it, one of the tiny wires connecting the voice coils to the connectors also snapped. :frowning2:

The wire that snapped is below in reference pic, the 'extremely thin filaments'

So now I'm without sound at all in that particular driver.

What would be the best solution here? Sennheiser wants ~$160 to repair it so that's out of the question.

Each new HD600 driver is ~$70 and each new HD650 driver is ~$50. I'm afraid if I just get one new driver it'll have an imbalanced sound since the other working driver is like six years old. And if I got two 650 drivers it'd save $40. But I've never heard them (HD650) and am unsure if I'd like them as much in the long run.

What would you guys do?

Read this - http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650

And if money is an issue, go and get the HD650 drivers. They'll be very slightly darker - but essentially so similar you'll get used to them in no time.

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #538 of 672
Since this is an appreciation thread I just have to share how much I'm LOVING my newly purchased HD600's. It's the point of this forum ain't it?

Man o MAN! Finally got Foobar 2000 configured correctly and I am blown away at how happy I am with my rig.
Running a Schiit stack, Bifrost Uber and Asgard 2 with the 600's and currently listening to Wycliffe Gordon - Dreams of New Orleans Chesky Records 192/24 Binaural
Its like swimming in lotion!

I just never knew that headphones could give such a out of body experience. The details, realism, and sound stage is mind melting.

Just want to thank the Head Fi community and all those that contribute to help people like me find audio bliss.

THANKS!

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #539 of 672
Rocking the Hd 600s over the GRADO every day 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #540 of 672

I agree with this. The bass can sometimes sound loose. I though it was psychological since most head-fiers here say it lacks "sub bass" but the bass has enough "thump" and "punch" for most music (sometimes has too much) imo. It seems to sound absolutely perfect with artists like Norah Jones though,..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back