The Senn 580 Precision, amazed me.
Sep 17, 2002 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
I was at SF's Virgin this weekend, and i noticed that they now have a couple of listening spots that are using the senn 580 precision.

I of course, tried all of the booths that are using the 580 (no matter what music was playing). I quickly noticed how full this thing sounded...much much better than the sr80 im using (through a pcdp only). Alot of the booths are also using the eh2200, but they sound vastly different--abit muddled with that emphasized the bass. With the 580, i can easily distinguish all the instruments (just like sr80).....and it seems this model carry that extra oommph. I like it alot.

So can anyone that has a pair 580 tell me more about it? before my next trip to headphone heaven.

If sr80 and 580 both are amped.....580 sounds better? correct?

smily_headphones1.gif

Also how do the 280pro compare to 580?

Sep 17, 2002 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 13
I used to have the SR-80 b/f stepped up the the Senn HD-580. I must admit that the Senn 580 are much better sounding when compares directly with the SR-80. The 580 is much more accurate, gentle, and has much wider soundstage. It sounds very highend. Get yourself a good headphone amp (META42) and you will appreciate it even further.
If you already have the SR-80, the HD-280 won't sound any better. But, remember that the 280 is sealed while the SR-80 and senn hd-580 are open design.

Purk

Sep 17, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 13
I dont think that you can compair the 580 with the grado sr80 if the are unamped. I think the sr80 would sound better than the 580s with out an amp but when you add an amp the sr80s are nowhere neer the quality or sound that the 580s have. So if you dont have an amp get the grado 80s but if you are going to get a decent amp the 580s are light years better than the 80s.

Sep 17, 2002 at 7:24 AM Post #4 of 13
I think that everyone will agree that for the 580's to sound their best, you need a good amp. The better the amp, the better the source components, the better 580's will sound. I have a pair and I use them with Creek OBH-11 amp, which I picked up for $150. I'm very happy with the combo. I used that combo at a friend's house to hear what it sounds like with a Theta transport and a Mark Levinson Model 30 DAC. It sounds GOOD!!! The 580's are real hi-end phones. What surprises me is how little they go for. There is NOTHING out there that even remotely touches the 580's for that kind of money. You have to spend over $300 to encounter headphones that sound as good as the 580's. They're definitely by far the best bang for the buck and terrific headphones all around.

Sep 17, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 13
bifcake
HI: You said it all and I am 100 percent with you.
PS
The 580s are also light years ahead on comfort also over the grado sr 80s

Sep 17, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 13
Cure me of the illicit lure of tightly bouncing bass and wickedly unveiled upper extremities promised by those innumerable attempts at the technically impossible ideal closed can, the black art exercised in the creation of which leaves each blemished in some lovable but equally detestable way.

[/wax-lyrical]

Sep 17, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 13
j-curve
HI; J i am a cave man so could you please post your post again this time in english lol. I would like to know your thoughts on this post but cant understand what you said. Please forgive me.

Sep 17, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 13
Hi LTUCCI1924, don't worry I was just trying to be a smart-@ss. Basically I like my 580's but of course they are not without their flaws. I find myself tempted by closed cans. However, they tend to have even greater drawbacks and many of them seem to get love-hate reactions here. That's all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

jopi: He means: Closed cans suck!

I wouldn't put it so strongly, after all I do find them seductive.
eek.gif

I wouldn't rule out the day that the 580's get left on the shelf for a closed can.
Meantime, keep the 580 raves coming in guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks guys now I understand lol. j you really can talk over my head lol. Thank you for the simple explanation.

Sep 17, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 13
J-Curve,

I have a feeling that when you refer to wanting closed cans you are referring to the likes of the AT cans. The only one I have heard (and own) is the W100. I can tell you that, IMO, when the W100 does something well it usually does it unbelievably well; however it does something poorly, it does it quite poorly. It is not a versaitle headphone at all. The 580 is so much more versatile than the W100 and overall of a better value if you listen to a diverse selection of music. It is HORRIBLE with rock music and most complex music except for orchestral. With most jazz and vocal solos/harmonies and most acoustic music it is simply beautifully captivating, very transparent, and recreates the acoustic environment of the venue like nothing else I've heard- if you can stand its colouration. IMO, for the things the W100 does well, it beats the 580, but for things it does not do well (which is anything but jazz, vocals, and some acoustic music) the 580 whoops its ass! Well, whatever.

Also, IMO, the Audio Technica cans (namely the W100) are very detailed. I think that closed designs, if done properly, have excellent detail while not being overly distracting and unsmooth. I know that with the right music, the W100 is more detailed than the 580, 600, and the RS-1. But when the W100 is playing music that it contorts and makes sound weird, I am not exactly admiring its great ability at detail! Well, just my $0.02.

Sep 17, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 13
Yo QG! Sorry, that was a bit informal. Mr Quality Guru, obviously I'm not as familiar with the W100 as you are, but I have spent some time with it and I understand the compromise you refer to. You are right that I'm very AT focused at the moment. Part of that reflects an instinct to "exploit one's natural advantage", that being pricing of AT's here relative to offshore. On the other hand, purchasing the HD580 here was an example of "recognising one's natural weakness" since many Head-Fiers could have bought two pairs for the price I paid, but still I'm happy. Why not participate in the ending of an era? I believe that the days of over-optimistic headphone pricing are numbered. Senn's own MX400/500 earbuds are an excellent case in point. They must be making an awful dent in 888 sales.

At various times in my life I have felt almost blessed that some fantastic product has become available at just about the time I wanted or needed it. Those are the times when I have wondered how people got by 100 or even 50 years ago. I'm sure they had their equivalent crazes and hobbies but when you combine the extraordinary technological advances we've seen with the general level of economic wellbeing I think we're living in a very special time. People take it for granted and no-one really wants to hear grandpa's "when I was a kid" stories but I'm sure we'll have even better tales to tell.

Where I'm going with this is that I think we are on the brink of cracking challenges such as the "perfect" closed can, thanks to laser measurement techniques, materials technology and our ever-increasing understanding of how human hearing works. With the subjective element involved in evaluating a headphone, nothing could be perfect for everyone but what I mean is simply a closed phone with the kind of versatility, broad acceptance and acknowledgement attained by the HD580, including the aspect of price.

Since it seems I have unwittingly executed a thread-crap here let me apologise to kenchi1983 and close with the two things which I think the are best about the HD580:-

Firstly, its dependability. While getting acquainted with the HD580 there were numerous occasions where I thought the phone may have clipped, rattled, popped or distorted. In every case it came back not even to my source or amp but to the CD, and I was devastated by the poor quality of recordings available. Some of my disappointment can be found in the "Music" forum.

Secondly, its effortless dynamics. I'm very conscious of preserving my hearing and I try to keep volume levels low but enjoyable. Still, the dynamic range of most symphonies and concertos often takes you into the zone where lesser headphones crumble, adding distortion to the already high volume for a painful and potentially ear-damaging experience. The HD580, by contrast, simply gets loud. If the recording is smooth she stays smooth, if it's rough then she'll give you rough too. In either case I have never found the HD580 fatiguing. Right now I've had a disc of Sibelius symphonies (#3 & #5) on rotation for a few hours. It's a delight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back