The Seattle accent
Sep 5, 2015 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
So I remember a while back when I visited Seattle, with my highly trained audiophile golden ears, I tried to figure it out. I have to admit, it is unique in a very very subtle way but over all, it is very difficult to describe.

It's not obvious like other accents like the Australian, Alabama or New York accent which is clearly easy to identify. Yes, people do speak normal English in Seattle. But the accent is just so subtle and it is almost impossible to describe. 

It kind of reminds me of the Atlanta accent in a way. Many people in Atlanta do not speak like redneck Southerners and that is also difficult to describe too even for audiophiles like myself with golden ears.

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 8
I know what you mean.
Some have likened our accent to a non-accent, or a lack of accent, which is an accent in and of itself.

But really I think its mostly a lack of adding or removing phonemes from the words themselves.

For instance we are from wash-ing-ton, not warsh-engtin, not warsh-enten, not…

I have always delighted in hearing different accents myself, as they tend to add flavors and emotional context to the language.

And some accents can be so 'rich' as to be delightful in and of themselves.

Just my 2¢

JJ

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 8
I don't know bro, since English is not my first language. I can only tell American Northern/ Southern accent, British accent, Australian accent, ect. But my American teacher told me people from the west coast of the US have an accent that sounds clearer and is easier to understand than people from the east coast, is that true?

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 8
As a general rule we (left coasters) tend to pronounce words with less exageration or fewer added phonemes.
IOW we trend to be more precise with our enunciation and use less vocal emphasis for effect.

And this does or can mean we are easier to understand.

JJ

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 8
I think Vancouver accent = Seattle accent (almost I guess).
Below the Washington, things begin to change.

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #7 of 8
Canadian accents are easily recognizable, eh? :atsmile:

And yeah as you head south, the accents do change a small amount but nowhere near as much as if you head east.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back