The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Mar 20, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #1,756 of 1,909
There we go, nice and easy to load up photos, didn't know I could...anyway there you have it, unboxing, and set up...very pleased with it......

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #1,757 of 1,909
I have AKG 701 for a long time now and HD600s on the way.  Both badly needing an amp/DAC combo.  I'm a bit on a budget at this point in time, so the question is, will Modi 2 and Magni 2 (non-Uber) be sufficient?

What am I losing?

I don't believe I will be using any preamp capabilities for a long time (but I guess that's what every noob says).  

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,758 of 1,909
I have AKG 701 for a long time now and HD600s on the way.  Both badly needing an amp/DAC combo.  I'm a bit on a budget at this point in time, so the question is, will Modi 2 and Magni 2 (non-Uber) be sufficient?

What am I losing?

I don't believe I will be using any preamp capabilities for a long time (but I guess that's what every noob says).  
That's a great great combo to start your journey with. You can always list it in the classifieds when you choose to upgrade. Which you will once the fever starts:)

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #1,759 of 1,909
That's a great great combo to start your journey with. You can always list it in the classifieds when you choose to upgrade. Which you will once the fever starts:)

Noooo. I have the K702 and the HD600. Surely I'll never need to upgrade....

But more seriously, I'm very happy with my combo. Though I am thinking that I should try some planar magnetic 'phones soon 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #1,760 of 1,909
Noooo. I have the K702 and the HD600. Surely I'll never need to upgrade....

But more seriously, I'm very happy with my combo. Though I am thinking that I should try some planar magnetic 'phones soon :)
I just made that move myself. I'm looking at ragnarok now. The quest is never ending! Enjoy your phones

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,761 of 1,909

What am I losing?

The M/M stack will do a wonderful job. The Uber Modi has a linear power supply for its analog circuits which to me is desirable, rather than getting its juice from the source's noisy USB port which in the Uber's case is only used to supply the USB digital port. I have an older Magni 1 which does a fine job with my HD600's. I also have an Asgard 2, the Magni will do just fine, nothing to get crazed about.

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,762 of 1,909
Modi 2 Uber is seriously good.  Very happy I decided to give it a try...it's a keeper.

Mar 28, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #1,764 of 1,909
Totally agree.  Happy I made the decision to get it.

+1
I'm very happy with my Magni+Modi 2U as well. Great little pile of Schiit that is :)

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #1,765 of 1,909
I know you are all fans so this is a dangerous place to ask but do you guys think I can (or should?) justify a Modi 2 Uber / Magni 2 Uber stack? I figure that I have two options for my setup...

SBZ: Sound Blaster Z -> 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter -> Sennheiser HD 598
SBZ+UberStack: Sound Blaster Z -> TOSLINK -> Modi 2 Uber -> RCA (Monoprice $3?) -> Magni 2 Uber -> Sennheiser HD 598

I would use this mostly for gaming and premium Spotify, so nothing too fancy, and if I didn't know any better I would probably be happy with just the SBZ. The SBZ is still in the mail but if the onboard X-Fi at work is any comparison then the SBZ should blow away the un-amped onboard Realtek that I have now.

Unfortunately I know just enough (SBZ high output impedance, impedance spike of HD 598, etc) to be afraid that the SBZ alone won't quite reach the potential of these headphones and that I am doing myself a disservice. I would always have a lingering doubt that I might be missing something amazing.

Part of me wants to wait for the SBZ and see if I'm happy but part of me wants to go straight for the stack and never listen to the standalone SBZ at all. It would cost me $313 + cables for the stack which is fine if it's worthwhile but also a lot of money to waste if there isn't really going to be a any difference. What do you guys think? Worth it?

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #1,767 of 1,909
  I suggest listening to option one first.  Only you will know if it's good enough.  You can always order a stack later.  Just my 2 cents.

+1 The HD5x8 series of headphones are very easy to drive. If the SBZ does the job, then you might do well enough without spending more. If you had a more demanding set of headphones then at the very least you would need an amp.

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #1,768 of 1,909
I guess my real concern is how do I know if it's good enough?

When my HD 598 first arrived I tested them with my onboard Realtek ALC887 and they sounded great. I was really impressed with them and I could and would have been happy with that as it stood. I knew amplification and better gear would help, but it was only once I took them to work and used the onboard "SupremeFX III" that I had an idea of how much I was missing witt just the onboard Realtek.

Once my SBZ arrives I know it will sound significantly better than the Realtek and I'm also sure that an Uber Stack will sound better than the SBZ. The question is how much? I know there are diminishing returns in play here so is the SBZ going to be like 80% as good as the stack or 98% as good as the stack? More importantly, until I can try a stack, how do I know?

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #1,769 of 1,909
  I guess my real concern is how do I know if it's good enough?

When my HD 598 first arrived I tested them with my onboard Realtek ALC887 and they sounded great. I was really impressed with them and I could and would have been happy with that as it stood. I knew amplification and better gear would help, but it was only once I took them to work and used the onboard "SupremeFX III" that I had an idea of how much I was missing witt just the onboard Realtek.

Once my SBZ arrives I know it will sound significantly better than the Realtek and I'm also sure that an Uber Stack will sound better than the SBZ. The question is how much? I know there are diminishing returns in play here so is the SBZ going to be like 80% as good as the stack or 98% as good as the stack? More importantly, until I can try a stack, how do I know?

You don't.
As per diminishing returns goes, once you have an M/M 2U stack, things will not get wildly better unless you have a set of headphones with demanding driving requirements like an HE-6. When it comes to audio electronics and your wallet, as in boxing, "Protect yourself at all times." The biggest differences will be in headphones.

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,770 of 1,909
The thing here is that nobody here can make that call for you.  I love all my Schiit gear.  Incredibly well built.  I'm glad I that have purchased all of mine.  These are my feelings based on my experiences with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back