The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
May 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #256 of 333
Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD? YES
2. Do you own any SACDs? YES
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?1% SACD 90%CD  10%DOWNLOADS
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? NO
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? N/A

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

May 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #257 of 333
Quote:

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?
Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs?
No

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?
All CD, plus high-res downloads.

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
No

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
No, not likely.

May 2, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #258 of 333
Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

YES.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
NO.

N/A.

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
No, currently if i want higher resolution i purchase 24bit Flac online.

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
No currently as I do not see myself purchasing any SACDs in the near future. I would if i eventualy buy any SACDs.

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

May 2, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #259 of 333
Quote:
Hey all,

So, in order:

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Yes

10%

Are there any with that feature?

Yes

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

May 2, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #260 of 333

Yes.  I have also recorded in DSD.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Yes.

Out of 3,286 discs in my collection, around 1,000 are sacds.

It hasn't been before but it is now that Blue Coast is releasing DSD downloads.  I like the music there.

Yes, I would definitely pay for an upgrade.

May 2, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #261 of 333
YES
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
YES
4%
No
No

May 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #262 of 333
Quote:
Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes
1%, 39%, 60%
Not critical, but nice to have maximum source flexibility.
$75-$125

Thanks!

May 3, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #263 of 333
Quote:
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?  Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? Yes
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? 5%
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? No
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? I$100 increase would be  a no-brainer for me$200.00 max, depending on quality and original price of DAC

May 3, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #264 of 333
Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Currently, no

SACD 0%, CD 20%, Files 100% (CDs ripped at WAV to File)

For now, no. But when the desktop setup is at least complete (DAC+AMP+HeadPhones) and looking for a DAC upgrade, this might go to consideration

200$

May 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #265 of 333
Hi,

Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? Yes 200+
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? < 4%
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? Important? No (Since I have 2 high quality SACD players). Would I like it?  sure.
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? As high as + 30% maybe 40%

It really depends on the implementation, what transport needed etc.

May 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #266 of 333
Quote:
Hey all,

So, in order:

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

1. Yes, yes
2. Yes
3. Currently 2 SACDs (used to be 8), vs 60++ CDs
4. Yes, IF I could archive them the same way I did CDs, in my HDD (unless I just don't know that this is already possible?), because like in all optical drive devices my the transports died on me long before anything else.
5. YES

May 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #267 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD? (Yes)

2. Do you own any SACDs? (I own 50 SACD)

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? (10% SACD, 80% CD and Files)

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? (Yes)

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? (Max, $250)

May 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #268 of 333
Quote:
Hey all,

So, in order:

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Doubtfully greater than 10%.
4. Yes.
5. Of course, it depends. $100-$300 generally seems reasonable to me. 

May 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #269 of 333
Quote:

Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No
10%CD 90%Files
No
I probably won't intentionally upgrade it just for SACD, but certainly wouldn't mind if it is included as part of DAC if I am going to buy it.

May 4, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #270 of 333
- Yes for SACD, No for DSD.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
- Yes.
- 10% SACD vs 90% CD (I convert my CD collections into files)
- No.
- Yes, but it will be a nice-to-have feature for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back