The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
May 4, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #1,246 of 1,456
Supply and demand. I'm not attracted because prefer the sound of clas -db rig versus signature of AK line (and do not require smaller profile in current usage pattern). But sufficient numbers of this niche market are giving iRiver their money. Anyway, try seeing UK / EU prices and you would have less to say
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #1,247 of 1,456
Went to Jaben today to do a little "scouting", and was astounded by what an iPC into the Sony PHA-1 could achieve (with the right cans). If you don't need HD, this could be the way to go!

...the right cans being practically any Grados or the HD600s (yes, with only 26mW or so at 300 Ohms).

Sadly, it won't drive the DT250/250s properly.

It's actually very refreshing to see someone testifying that the Sony PHA-1 or PHA-2 doesn't have enough power to drive cans that can do well with just about any other portable amp.   Even the PHA-2 puts out only 90mW into 32-Ohms.

Even though they are external DAC/headphone amps, Sony designed the PHA-1 and PHA-2 for the masses, not for folks like us.

Mike

May 4, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #1,248 of 1,456
The thing is, it actually sounds very good into the right load!

Finding suitable cans is, however, a challenge. Personally, I dislike IEMs (too invasive).

As someone who uses a 300B SET in their speaker system, I am only too aware of the tradeoffs.

I suspect that Sony may have accidentally come up with something very esoteric....

....a low power, low damping factor portable HPA!

I was very happy with what it could do into the SR225i, but need something which offers more (if not complete) isolation, and a bright, clear sound signature (the Sony is on the dark side). I have taken a punt on the Fischer Jubilates, and will report when they finally arrive from Russia....

May 4, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #1,250 of 1,456
Well, the Oppo is a planar....

I am, however, a little puzzled at how the PHA-1 can drive the HD600s so well, but sounds hopeless with the DT-250/250. Both are similar in terms of impedance (300 and 250 ohms respectively), and the Senns are actually less efficient (97dB/mW versus approx. 100 for the Beyers). The Senns have both bass extension and dynamics, the Beyers sound flat, wooly and compressed.

Driven from a desktop amplifier (or the BL-2, a portable tube / MOSFET hybrid), the DT250s suffer from none of these problems!

Could the Beyers be a highly reactive load, or is this an issue with the amp's damping factor?

May 5, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #1,251 of 1,456
It'd be easy if they all just put android on their devices...urgh.

Although I'd rather see iOS purely because of the Denon Music player...It's fantastic. Too bad that's never going to happen though :/

May 5, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #1,252 of 1,456
It'd be easy if they all just put android on their devices...urgh.

Although I'd rather see iOS purely because of the Denon Music player...It's fantastic. Too bad that's never going to happen though :/

Agreed. It shouldn't be difficult to put a decent amp and dac in a handheld shape, whack Android and Internet connectivity on it to allow for massive sound configurabilty and provide sd card slots for extra upgradeable memory.

Oh yeah, that already exists.

What are you guys discussing exactly?

May 5, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #1,253 of 1,456
Well this is big news. Looks like there might be a change coming in all of mobile. At least as far as some of the chips being used, maybe further then that. Whether this is a good thing or bad remains to be seen.

http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-27202322?post_id=100003967930223_394281367380791#_=_

May 5, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #1,254 of 1,456
Well this is big news. Looks like there might be a change coming in all of mobile. At least as far as some of the chips being used, maybe further then that. Whether this is a good thing or bad remains to be seen.

http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-27202322?post_id=100003967930223_394281367380791#_=_

The Wolfson vs. Cirrus Logic debate has been raging for years, what will people argue about now? lol. 
I've had DAPs with both chips, and frankly can't complain about either one, but I am not an "audiophile", just a member of the working poor that loves listening to music.
smile_phones.gif

May 6, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #1,255 of 1,456
I think both are good but by far the Wolfson chips in my S-mod are the best I've heard for portable. With Cirrus chips I tend to find the treble to have this sheen/harshness that I've never really liked. It was this way on the Leckerton amp via the DAC and even on the iphone4. With the Leckerton being a bit more prominent in this area.

May 7, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #1,256 of 1,456
Latest update on the PHA-1:

I cancelled the order for the Jubilates, when I realized that (i) they are semi-open, and offer about as much isolation as the Grado Bushmills, and (ii) they are enormous (full-size AT woody), if light. I am after something portable...

I am currently using the 25 ohm DT48e with it. Given the PHA-1's high output impedance, this combination shouldn't work, but it does. Excellently. I presume it must have something to do with the Beyers' inherent bright balance and their high sensitivity (being designed to work with 30s amplification......)

This must be a unique OTG rig :)

May 10, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #1,257 of 1,456
BTW: I mentioned that in the store, the PHA-1 could not drive the DT-250/250. No such problem at home with my own pair. In fact, it's a great match :)

I suspect the pair at Jaben must have either been faulty or fresh out of the box (they need a LOT of burn-in!).

May 11, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #1,258 of 1,456
I think both are good but by far the Wolfson chips in my S-mod are the best I've heard for portable. With Cirrus chips I tend to find the treble to have this sheen/harshness that I've never really liked. It was this way on the Leckerton amp via the DAC and even on the iphone4. With the Leckerton being a bit more prominent in this area.

I'm just hoping someone else steps in to fill the void. When there's only one real big player in the mix I find things can get rather boring and mediocre as far as development is concerned.

May 11, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #1,259 of 1,456

Where did the idea of supriority of Wolfson DAC chips come from?  I've heard that Wolfson was implemented for high-end DACs for a time and that has people assume if the chip is there in a circuit, it would provide high sonic quality.  Now the popular DAC is the ESS, and recently Wolfson was bought out by Cirrus.  AK240 which subjectively belive to be one of the best portable DAP uses dual Cirrus chips.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back