The Ruizu X02 DAP thread
Feb 3, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #752 of 774
Ruizu and Agptek guys,

My wife likes to listen to audiobooks on her X02 but she will switch between several books and even to music.The ability to sleep and return to the exact same place is good but doesn't help when she switches books. The bookmark feature is nice, since it is on a per file basis, but it takes multiple button clicks to save or restore. Is it possible to add a feature where the #1 bookmark (or #10) is always set to the location where you were in the file last. This would be set when turning off or selecting a new file. And when you start the file, it asks if you want to resume or start from the beginning? This would then behave somewhat like the Sansa Clip (which we miss dearly).

Similarly, usually the audio books consist of multiple files. The above would be useful to find her place in a file, but she would still have to figure out which file she was in when she switched away from the book. When browsing via directories to restart the book, is there a way to point the user to the last file within the directory that was played? Again, this would be similar to the Sansa Clip.

Thanks,
Tony

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #753 of 774
I tried to click the link of the ruizu firmware site (the chinese and translate) but it seems the link was broken :frowning2:

It's broken in the google translate site, but I believe it works in the untranslated site.

From the untranslated site, clicking the X02 link in the first line of the article takes you here: https://pan.baidu.com/s/1DUwEUeC3WdJfsXB8TvAIwA

. . . oh wow. Moonspeak captcha. Okay then.

Here's a reupload to zippyshare: X02新版.f.fw

The link to the firmware app is broken, but it's bundled with the new firmware, so you can get it by downloading one of those.

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #754 of 774
Hello, I have the issue of not being able to view any album art in my Ruizu x02. I tried with the original firmware (the basic one with the black and white UI), the latest firmware and the latest firmware from AGPTEK.

I also tried with mp3 with embebbed images from 800x800, 500x500 and 250x250.

Do you know how to fix this. Which is the best firmware?

Jul 27, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #755 of 774
Hello, I have the issue of not being able to view any album art in my Ruizu x02. I tried with the original firmware (the basic one with the black and white UI), the latest firmware and the latest firmware from AGPTEK.

I also tried with mp3 with embebbed images from 800x800, 500x500 and 250x250.

Do you know how to fix this. Which is the best firmware?

Have the same issue, player is great so far, this is my only gripe.

EDIT: Amazingly, if the Picture MIMEType is formated as image/jpg instead of image/jpeg, the cover art will be displayed.

EDIT 2: The X02 displayed jpg images that were at 1200 x 1200+, but was only able to display jpeg at 500 x 500. 800 x 800 was apparently too high.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #756 of 774
From my page:

-WAV MP3 WMA OGG FLAC APE and M4A are the supported audio formats as tested with the test files . AAC is supported but only one channel is heard. MP2 are also played in double speed with a weird audio for the white noise. Nearly most bit rates are supported in all modes
The test file is a wav format converted with xrecode 3 in all the above formats
Ruizu is a bit trebly nonDAP player if by DAP you define models playing also DSD

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #757 of 774
I'm new here and unfamiliar with the format for replying. Came here after getting a Ruizu X02 and read comments on the sound quality. I think I know why the Ruizu sounds so awful and thin without EQ and just passable with EQ.

You said: "Edited to add: after living with the X02 for a few weeks I caved and bought a BoomCloud Boomstick for $10 and now I'm relatively happy. There's just not enough body to the default profile. In other words, I probably should have just bought a slightly better DAP to begin with. (That battery life, tho)."

This was thought too. I thought I bought a paperweight. But then I connected it to my speaker with a built in amp and it was great. Then I connected my phone to the same speaker and it was not as good. Yet on headphones the phone crushed the Ruizu. I then connected the Ruizu to the line in of my computer and heard with the same headphone from the computer's headphone out. It was great. How can this be unless the Ruizu is sending out a line level signal, a pre-out instead of using the internal headphone amp. So I connected it to my Topping NX1s amp and it was superb for an under 25 dollar DAP.

So this player has a good DAC but bypasses its headphone amp while EQ is off. You thus need a headphone amp. The EQ probably activates the internal headphone amp (which is quite weak). I can say this as the EQ with headphone connected directly sounds better than EQ off BUT when I connect it to an amp, the EQ off is superior to the EQ on as the internal headphone amp is bypassed with EQ off.

Idk if anyone cares but this appears to be the best source of information on this player.

At over 730 posts, a summary appears to be in order.

Edited to add: a lot of the confusion/discussion in this thread involves things that were addressed in the documentation I got with my player. I'm not going to scan my doc, but most sections of the A02 manual v1.5 are identical. Just see my bulleted list with the image in it for some important differences. http://images.agptek.us/Download/mannual/A02 English Manual (1.5 version).pdf

Before the summary, some OC:

The official AGPTek documentation now tells you to use Sony Media Go. And, indeed, this software allows you to transfer M3U playlists + tracks to the Ruizu X02. However, the software is outdated and annoying to use.

• The trick is that the Ruizu requires your playlist to point to files in a folder. For example, I create a M3U and place it in the Music folder.
  • MP3 files cannot be peers to the M3U, but must be nested at least one folder deeper (and the M3U must use the relative path to the music).
  • I have not experimented to see if a M3U in a subfolder can just list sibling music files.
  • As a workaround if you have no subfolders in your Music folder you can create an empty subfolder and then edit your M3U so that every path starts with subfolder\..\music_file.mp3. (Yes, I tested this and it works).
M3U playlists appear as a folder in the Playlists menu. M3U playlists are not editable from the device.

Finally, I prefer something like this to Sony Media Go: http://www.oddgravity.de/app-opc.php

People asking about firmware updates need to understand that the differences between the stock Ruizu firmware and the new AGPTek firmware are very minor.
  • For me, the one killer feature of the AGPTek firmware is something called "Easy Mode."
    • During music playback up and down control the volume directly.
    • To enable this mode, you can hold down the center button for a few seconds.
  • I happen to find the LCD too bright and you can't adjust it. (I'm planning to get a tinted film if I keep using it. But I know I'm not typical. My monitors at work are hard for other people to see.)
    • AGPTek offers a version of the firmware that seems to use a muted color palette - I'm not 100% clear. See the notes in their FW descriptions: https://www.agptek.com/blog/agptek-a02-firmware-upgrade/ I've only tried the 1121 FW but I did notice that album covers weren't true color, and the brightness bothered me less than the stock firmware.
  • The stock Ruizu firmware uses ID3 tag info for song title and file browsing. AGPTek firmware uses filename, which gets awkward if you aren't using folders/iTunes style library.
  • The AGPTek font is worse (because it's larger/truncated sooner). This is why I won't keep the AGPTek firmware, even though I really want the AGPTek easy mode. Here's a compare (the blurriness is my fault):
  • The AGPTek firmware does a better job of surfacing A-B repeat features (called Language Learning under the music menu) but the feature is there in the Ruizu firmware (Play mode > Repeat settings).
  • The AGPTek "fixes" the rotated controls. I actually find that this feels less intuitive, mostly because the M button behavior is rotated to the forward button. This confuses my thumb, because AGPTek wants you to use the center button to enter a submenu, but my thumb wants to use forward.
  • Other minor stuff - AGPTek uses a round graphic instead of a slider to indicate volume level.
For what it's worth, I've had no problem switching between the available firmware but obviously that's no guarantee for anyone else.

Now, on to the thread recap. I was gonna do a better job on this but I'm getting older and lazier by the minute.

Basic info: see the OP.

FAQ
What's the sound profile like?
Personally, I agree with peter123:

Edited to add: after living with the X02 for a few weeks I caved and bought a BoomCloud Boomstick for $10 and now I'm relatively happy. There's just not enough body to the default profile. In other words, I probably should have just bought a slightly better DAP to begin with. (That battery life, tho).

Review posts:
AGPTek Firmware Reviews
Are there counterfeit/fake RUIZU X02 players?

How can I tell if mine is genuine?

What's the hole on the back?

How are songs sorted for navigation?

Does the Ruizu X02 support FLAC?
Edited to add: per the last page of the manual (see the top of this post) the X02 has limited FLAC support. They actually recommend you convert to APE if your file is outside the supported they spec.

The thread has some debate on whether the cue file is required, but:

Does the Ruizu X02 support APE? Does the Ruizu X02 support AAC?
Edited to add: APE support is documented in the manual but they actually recommend converting/splitting. The APE section of the A02 manual is identical to the X02 documentation. http://images.agptek.us/Download/mannual/A02 English Manual (1.5 version).pdf

The device reports this:
  • File type support
    • Music
      • Mp3,
      • wma [wma9,32-48khz,5-1912kbps],
      • Audible, Flac[8-48khz, VBR, 16bits],
      • APE[8-48khz, VBR, 16bits],
      • wav[8-48khz, up to 1.44mbps]

Posters report this:

How many songs can the Ruizu X02 handle?
If I use internal memory and an SD card can I shuffle all my songs?
How do I shuffle songs on the SD card?

What card capacities are supported?

Does it support Rockbox?
Does it support M3U playlists?
Does it support A-B repeat?

Are the Ruizku X02 and AGPTek A02 identical?

Where can I download the original firmware?

Here's a reupload to zippyshare: X02新版.f.fw. The links here still work, but require login and Chinese captcha.
Where can I download new AGPTek A02 firmware?
Where can I find documentation?
What is the recommended headphone impedence?
Leo Posts (On-Topic, IMO):
Track Ordering
Has anyone noticed background noise when listening to audio files from the SD but not the local storage?

Playing from Folder Browser Automatically Moves to Next Folder

How do I lock/unlock the RUIZU X02?

MVP IMO

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #758 of 774
From my experience RuIzu sounds relatively trebly with an AKG81DJ headphone.I prefer the nintaus 50 that offers a bit less treble . That s the reason i sold it

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #759 of 774
From my experience RuIzu sounds relatively trebly with an AKG81DJ headphone.I prefer the nintaus 50 that offers a bit less treble . That s the reason i sold it
The Ruizu sounds terrible to me with ANY headphone or IEM.

With EQ off it is really a line out (I'm so happy it is). With EQ on, the horrible weak internal amp gets turned on. I get awesome sound via headphones when EQ is turned off and an amp is connected. I use the topping nx1s but it also sounds good connected to my onboard PC via line in, basically any device that accepts a line in and has an amp in the mix (PCs, amplified speakers, dedicated headphone amps etc).

Sep 10, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #761 of 774
It's likely just the EQ circuit. If you're critical, you can hear those on any DAP but some are much worse than others.
Either I got a unique piece or the Ruizu X02 is unlike any other DAP. It's night and day connecting a headphone directly vs connecting the Ruizu to the line in port of any device wherein the signal gets amplified by that device and then putting the same headphone into the headphone out of that device. The Ruizu DAC is actually superb for its price. It is a definite step up from the realtek onboard PC motherboard sound. It sounds great with a portable dedicated amp like the topping NX1s. The smartphones that easily cruzh the Ruizu when headphones are directly connected, no longer have any advantage once an amp is used and infact are inferior to the Ruizu. The EQ off basically does a "pre-out" bypassing the headphone out of the weak internal amp.

Sep 11, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #762 of 774
Either I got a unique piece or the Ruizu X02 is unlike any other DAP. It's night and day connecting a headphone directly vs connecting the Ruizu to the line in port of any device wherein the signal gets amplified by that device and then putting the same headphone into the headphone out of that device. The Ruizu DAC is actually superb for its price. It is a definite step up from the realtek onboard PC motherboard sound. It sounds great with a portable dedicated amp like the topping NX1s. The smartphones that easily cruzh the Ruizu when headphones are directly connected, no longer have any advantage once an amp is used and infact are inferior to the Ruizu. The EQ off basically does a "pre-out" bypassing the headphone out of the weak internal amp.
Using the internal amp for playback is different than it just turning on when using the EQ. Your previous post was unclear.

Sep 11, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #763 of 774
Using the internal amp for playback is different than it just turning on when using the EQ. Your previous post was unclear.
Oh yes, that too. With headphones connected directly, the EQ sounds better/fuller than EQ off (but nowhere as good as a good smartphone or mp3 player). EQ off has virtually no bass and is thin and can be a teeth gnashing experience without a warm bassy headphone.

Bring a good amp into the mix and EQ off is splendid, beating out most smartphones and onboard laptop/pc sound. But turning on the EQ with an amp, the quality drops (relative to EQ off, by a noticeable margin, no long comparison needed) and sounds typical of an amp attached to a headphone out rather than line out. EQ off sounds like the amp is attached to a line level signal, not headphone out. Hence my comments.

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #764 of 774
First, it seems the agptek A02 blog pages are down, but they used to explain that
Are identical except for the palette issue that you noticed; they intentionally released a dimmer version. So if you like it, just try the other version for the color fix.

The location of the original firmware is covered in my recap post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-ruizu-x02-dap-thread.744865/page-49#post-14133377

I copied it below.
I have a Ruizu X02 and I used for a long time the agptek standart firmware, the one named A02.fw in their site. Then I found out that ruizu came out with a newer firmware, the one in the BAIDU website, X02新版.f.fw. I wanted to switch back to the official firmware because the agptek firmware doesn't respect folders when you turn off repeat, being the same as if you selected repeat all. And also I wanted the option to control the brightness of the screen, which is possible in this new firmware. So I installed it but then all colors are inverted. All music covers, images, videos and interface. Is there a way to configure the file so that the colors go right when flashing?

Nov 12, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #765 of 774
Hi, I've a Ruizu X02 with US212A version software and V1.101.10
I seen a firmware update in Ruizu website but is version 1.0, my question is: is it newer since the firmware installed in my device? (I think so because it was released after I bought it), can I update it without risks? I hope they has changed the button usage, to press right to go down in menu is frustrating for me... Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back