The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
May 14, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #767 of 837
No discernable difference here.  Remember, you've got to precisely level the volume, because louder music always "sounds better."  The other possibility is that Ray built a special Protector just for you...
ksc75smile.gif

May 15, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #768 of 837
I just received my Protector from Ray 15 min ago.  I've been using the Hornet M for 5 years and I must say it sounds nice.  I have a balanced TWag cable for my IE8's on order from Craig and am only listening to the Protector single ended with my IE8's and is a marked improvement from the Hornet.  I'll report back as changes happen to the sound and when I get the cable form Craig. Craig if you read this, please hurry, the suspense is...not good.

May 17, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #769 of 837

Quote:
 The other possibility is that Ray built a special Protector just for you...
ksc75smile.gif

Well I didn't want to rub it in, but he did :)  It's the RSA SUPER Protector :)

May 19, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #770 of 837
Just got my Protector today.  Hella fast arrival for putting an order in on Friday.  He shipped me a two-tone protector instead of the black I ordered, would have been nice to know beforehand and I was slightly bummed as I wanted the full black, but no sooner than I thought that I realized it was an exact match in looks with my Zero DAC.  I guess things sometimes just work out
smile.gif

Balanced cables I've ordered for my HD650s haven't come in yet but they sound plenty good via stock cables -- I'm impressed that such a little thing can power big headphones.  By the way, is it safe to use the protector while it's charging?  I assume it'd be fine but I'm still in the 'be careful with this stuff it's BRAND NEW' phase.

May 19, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #771 of 837

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuuMuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

By the way, is it safe to use the protector while it's charging?  I assume it'd be fine but I'm still in the 'be careful with this stuff it's BRAND NEW' phase.

---

Yes

May 19, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #772 of 837

Balanced IE8's with TWag cable

Well, after what seemed to be forever, I just received my balanced TWag cable for my IE8's from Craig today.  These are the first balanced phones/IEM that I've heard and it truely is an amazing experience.  There is so much more emotion portrayed in the music it seems. Separation and imaging are much greater even with close to no burn-in time on the Protector.  I hear new and different things in songs that I've played many times before.  I'll report back as needed.

May 19, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #773 of 837
Just wait til you get about 30-40 hours out of the way.  I found that was when I really started to dig it and it just keeps getting better and better after that.

May 20, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #776 of 837

Quote:
Am i just the one hearing a "zzz" noise from the Protector when my phone rings / text message.

Thats probably cables picking up RFI from the phone.  The amp is shielded(metal casing).  

May 21, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #777 of 837
No. Metal case does not equal shielding. That sound, which is a problem with most portable amps when used with phones, is the amplifier picking up the EM (Electro-Magnetic) pulses when the phone receives data.

May 21, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #778 of 837
That sound also is caused by GSM.  3G phones do not do that.

May 21, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #779 of 837
Quote:
That sound also is caused by GSM.  3G phones do not do that.

Unfortunately my iPhone 3GS is being used on the China Mobile network with its proprietary non-compatible Chinese 3G data system so I have to access data with Edge (the older GSM system). And yes, I do have some problems with noise using my Headsix. However it seems that people on here with iPhones who have 3G access are also having noise problems with their portable amps.

May 21, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #780 of 837

Quote:
Am i just the one hearing a "zzz" noise from the Protector when my phone rings / text message.

The Protector is a lot less sensitive to interference when set to Low-gain mode.  In fact, when used with a TWag LOD with my iMod, in that setting, there is no interference even when my iPhone placed directly on top of the amp while transmitting.  In Medium gain setting it'll pickup some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back