The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Apr 7, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #646 of 837
thanx to Craig for shipping the cables overnight with no charge... just in time for my long drive to NY. I know it's not "head-fi" material as no headphone can be seen but I will be picking up one at B&H when in NY to be balanced
smily_headphones1.gif

...so this is an in-car setup I guess (2010 Honda Crosstour/stock headunit/drivers has been updated to Focals)
96605427.jpg

62735776.jpg

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #647 of 837
Mr. Samuels is right, "You really have not heard the amp properly & have never experienced what it was designed to accomplish... The 650 needs the balanced termination to really shine also. Please get your self the proper cable for your phones to enjoy the Protector properly." Mr. Samuels espoused the above in reply to some comments I made about the Protector in single ended mode, esp. when used with AKG701 phones.

Soon after I received my amp, I sent out my HD650's Stefan AudioArts cable to be a bit shortened / reterminated with XLR connectors, and had built a Protector plug-to-XLR adaptor using a piece of the Stefan AudioArts cable. Both items arrived two days ago (total cost = $60
bigsmile_face.gif
- I can't say enough about the person who did the retermination / custom adaptor build for me, but that's another story.) I brought the pieces into work with me yesterday. I did only about an hour of balanced burn-in with the Isotek disc at work yesterday morning plus some more hours today. Yesterday and today I put some rock, classical, and Alison Krauss into play. Latest (nicely mastered as always, it seems) Peter Gabriel disc got playing time today, too.

It is a truthful comment that my HD650s have never sounded better. Great pairing between amp and phones, for sure, in balanced mode. More air around and improved positioning of voices / instruments, improved midrange, gobs of detail, tuneful bass, more realistic orchestral instrument sound-presentation-presence, etc. I know it is only a limited amount of time running the amp balanced v. tons of single-ended burn-in time that I did previously, and that more burn of the reterminated Stefan AudioArts cable and custom adaptor as well are to come. However, I cannot help but like very much what I heard over a few hours of work yesterday and today. I note that things also have improved from yesterday's listening session, too. I look forward to some more 24/7 burn-in over the weekend with the Isotek disc, coupled with listening using even better sources. I note the amp has no problem holding its charge, too. I anticipate it will now be most unsatisfying to listen in single-ended mode to my other headphones - darn hobby.

I think my questions about this amp are being answered with each balanced listening session. I'm going to have to see if I can get those AKG701s balanced, too.

[FYI - I used to own a Xin SMIV, and kept it safe during use and transit in a quite small, well padded digital camera case. The Protector amp, which is certainly smaller than the Xin amp, easily fits into the same case; I imagine a personal player would fit, too. A few well placed snips in the back of the case made flaps that allow me access to the amp's recharging plug plus the gain switch. Furthermore, the rear sides of the case each have small openings, which allows me to readily use / snake out a right-angled 3.5mm adaptor from the Protector's rear input. I think the digital camera case ran me approx. $12 at Target some years ago. Just a thought for those who need a case.]

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #648 of 837
I have been using the ESW10 JPN in balanced quite a bit lately. I have to admit that they sound much better in balanced that in single ended and I enjoy them in SE. In balanced they throw a better soundstage and there is more separation on instruments and voices. There is also a much better sensation of "hall" or the recorded venue. There is a natural space that promotes a better mental image of what is going on. The phones also just sound faster so there is a better tonal presentation. Bass as with the other monitors is excellent.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #650 of 837
Yes but not from the Protector. Craig loves them balanced on the Protector

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #651 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanx to Craig for shipping the cables overnight with no charge... just in time for my long drive to NY. I know it's not "head-fi" material as no headphone can be seen but I will be picking up one at B&H when in NY to be balanced
smily_headphones1.gif

...so this is an in-car setup I guess (2010 Honda Crosstour/stock headunit/drivers has been updated to Focals)
96605427.jpg

62735776.jpg

how are you going to use this combo with the balanced > 3.5?

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #652 of 837
He says this is an in car set up so he will connect the 3.5 to an 3.5 input to his car stereo on his long trip.

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #653 of 837
I got my Protector last Friday and have been using them with my JH13 Pro and HiFiMAN or iPod Touch with a SE 48" TWag cable or iPod LOD and radioshack 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. I'm waiting for Craig from Whiplash audio to return from vacation to get my cables reterminated.

Compared to my ALO Rx the Protector not burned in SE has a very light and airy sound. Full of detail but lacking the weight necessary to keep the music alive. The sub bass is very subtle compared to the more muscular sounding ALO Rx. The ALO Rx has a more tubey sound with more presence in the sub bass and lower midrange. The music is more intimate and voices have a natural tone. But the voices are bit too close to me and damages my impression of hearing it "live". The Protector has a great tone to the voice but it's a tad bit more sibilant and lighter in weight, it still sounds realistic though. The treble on the Protector is crisp, sparkly and extended. Making the ALO Rx sound a bit muted in the treble department. I'm just hoping the sound from the Protector when balanced adds a bit more emphasis in the sub bass and lower midrange. Though, not as much emphasis as the ALO Rx does making the treble too laid back. The soundstaging between the two is more expansive on the Protector, but this could all be because of a more prominent treble and lower bass emphasis. Overall as of now I prefer the more muscular sounding ALO Rx when the Protector is in SE mode.

Those are my initial impressions. =)

15698_118790594803923_100000189506868_286012_1858234_n.jpg

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #654 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone tried ED8 in balanced mode?

I re-terminated my Ed.8's to balanced and they sound even better than SE. Mostly in the control of the low frequencies. Soundstage and imaging is more 3-dimensional with accurate instrument placement that stays fixed in position. The Protector drives them effortlessly.

FWIW, the Ed.8 cable is more sophisticated inside than it appears from the outside.

Ron

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #655 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He says this is an in car set up so he will connect the 3.5 to an 3.5 input to his car stereo on his long trip.

That still doesn't explain how he uses the balanced -> 3.5mm adapter. Doesn't make sense to me about its usage.

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #656 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That still doesn't explain how he uses the balanced -> 3.5mm adapter. Doesn't make sense to me about its usage.

Perhaps the SE adapter/balanced connector allows the use of both outputs of the phase-splitter buffers, thereby doubling the output voltage. Probably Ray would be the one to ask if this setup is better than just using a mini-mini patch cord.

Ron

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #657 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericcis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how are you going to use this combo with the balanced > 3.5?

+1

Shorting the 2 out of phase channels together like that invites some interesting problems. Its certainly not balanced at this point (one leg is grounded directly to ground, perhaps with a resistor: impedance to ground is not equal)

I would sum the 2 phases through a transformer if your interested in doing it right. As a bonus the transformers will provide galvanic isolation, so possible virtual ground issues when charging are reduced if not eliminated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, the Ed.8 cable is more sophisticated inside than it appears from the outside.

I have not heard exactly which cable the ED-8 uses BUT the ED-9 had an oehlbach cable. They are a well respected cable MFR in both pro and foofy audiophile cables. Clearly ultrasone isnt shy of nice cables.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #658 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ron

More information pertaining to the ED8 cable please. What do you mean "more sophisticated inside"? Are these copper, sliver, SxC? what are the gauge size. This is the second time I have heard that the DE8 cable is not all that bad as stock cable goes. I am in the process of buying an ED8 for my Protector and home balance set up. How do you do it. Do you just reterminate it to protector balance connector? Do you make an adaptor for other amp uses?

How does that sound from Protector? Thanks.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #659 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1

Shorting the 2 out of phase channels together like that invites some interesting problems. Its certainly not balanced at this point (one leg is grounded directly to ground, perhaps with a resistor: impedance to ground is not equal)

I would sum the 2 phases through a transformer if your interested in doing it right. As a bonus the transformers will provide galvanic isolation, so possible virtual ground issues when charging are reduced if not eliminated.

If you look at his picture he has a Protector balance connector to 3.5 mini plug adaptor. All you need is to connect this 3.5 connector into an auxillary/stereo input from the car stereo system. Many cars have them or you can fish a line out from your car stereo system. It is no different from outputing a signal from an Ipod/iphone HP out into a portable amp. Here, he just outputing a signal out from the HP out of his protector into another system. But it is true that he will loose his balance setting. I have a protector female balance connector adaptor to 3.5 viable connector for when I need to use my balance JH13 on SE portable amp like the pico slim or P51 and I understand that it will not be balance through the adaptor. Did I miss something?

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #660 of 837
Quote:

Did I miss something?

Yes, he is talking about shorting the negative voltage of the op amp to ground. This I do not think is a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back