The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Mar 22, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #556 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last night I did try the warmer sounding uDAC as source to the Protector/HD800/WA cable, and this was a better mach, just by changing my source. In another review I've noted that the uDAC is a better DAC via RCA outputs than it is a headphone amp; and I found that the uDAC RCA out was a nice match for the eXStatA electrostatic amp and SR-Lambda, HE-60 or Jade. Now I can add the Protector/HD800/WA cable to the list of amps that do the uDAC justice.

I agree with you Larry, the Protector and the uDAC is also a very good computer setup with the JH13s.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #557 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, I just wanted to let you know that I've been following your reviews with great interest even though I've only recently joined the forum. As you can see from my signature, I've invested quite a lot recently in audio tech and my JH16s should arrive by the end of the week according to Jamie Harvey. I'm busy breaking in the Predator/Shadow with my Whiplash Twag cable (currently hooked up to a TF10) until the 16s arrive.

I would be very interested in hearing your impressions what would going balanced would add to the overall experience between the Predator->Twag->JH16 vs. a Protector->Balanced Twag->JH16 configuration.

Evan replacing the stock cable on the TF10s connected to the Shadow produced a jaw-dropping 1.5-hour "moment" for me...can't even imagine topping that further. Then again, I've been there before...
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

I am glad you enjoy the information. Too many stresses in life. Music can be and should be a great joy "we" can all share in.

I do look forward to comparing the 16 balanced and unbalanced but I got to tell you that in my opinion, balanced is beautiful.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #558 of 837
I recently started to have an itch for the Edition 8 as a highend closed hp. Has anyone tried to pair teh Edition 8 wit hthe Protector yet? and can you share some impression? Especially how the Ed8 compare to JH13 or HD800 on the Protector. Thanks.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #559 of 837
I have heard the Ed. 8 balanced but not on the Protector. I wasn't too impressed as they sounded a bit bright and artificial now if that would stand true with the Protector I can not say but I have read that the Ultrasone don't always do so well balanced. I guess I could balance my Ed. 9 and give some feedback on that. I realize they aren't the same but it would be worth a try.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #560 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't notice hiss when I tried the amp, but I did notice buzzing/interference in the left channel--the kind of noise you get when a blackberry or cell phone is nearby. There was a ThinkPad, presumably with WiFi, about 4 feet away.

I noticed this today actually, when I pulled the 3.5mm jack out of the back it would go away, and when I plugged it in it would come back (left channel only). I tried an unshielded mini mini and it was better surprisingly (compared to my bluejean 3.5mm to rca). It looks like it was my coworkers iphone 3gs that was streaming audio on edge. I dont hear anything now and my laptop is on wifi next to it. If I moved the protector around i could find a location where there was no noise though.

EDIT: Might of been the bluetooth that was enabled actually..

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #561 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks too small :| I prefer portable amps to be same size as the player it is being used with, then it is easy to hold
smily_headphones1.gif

This is why I sold my tomahawk and am now looking at one of the other amp makers offerings that will more closely match my current daps. Although I'm sure the protector is a nice amp even though I haven't heard it.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #562 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently started to have an itch for the Edition 8 as a highend closed hp. Has anyone tried to pair teh Edition 8 wit hthe Protector yet? and can you share some impression? Especially how the Ed8 compare to JH13 or HD800 on the Protector. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard the Ed. 8 balanced but not on the Protector. I wasn't too impressed as they sounded a bit bright and artificial now if that would stand true with the Protector I can not say but I have read that the Ultrasone don't always do so well balanced. I guess I could balance my Ed. 9 and give some feedback on that. I realize they aren't the same but it would be worth a try.

My Ed8 are balanced and work great from my RudiStor RPX-100 home amp, not bright or artificial at all. I will not be able to test them balanced from the Protector as I don't have nor intend to get the required adaptor. I will be getting the JH13 and have already gotten the correct Protector terminated TWag cable for them. With luck both the Protector and JH13 should arrive today.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #563 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Ed8 are balanced and work great from my RudiStor RPX-100 home amp, not bright or artificial at all. I will not be able to test them balanced from the Protector as I don't have nor intend to get the required adaptor. I will be getting the JH13 and have already gotten the correct Protector terminated TWag cable for them. With luck both the Protector and JH13 should arrive today.

That is good to know. I am glad someone with a balanced pair saw my comment. I wonder why the ones I was listening to sounded the way they did? I may go ahead then and balance my Ed. 9.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #567 of 837
Yes, it is a balanced amp. I have heard it. I used it with the balanced Ed. 8. It was ok but not up to the sound of the Protector.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #569 of 837
It takes a single ended input and then the connector you see on the left is the balanced output. It uses 4 AAA batteries. The sound was a bit warm and while fairly good, the amp could use some further refinement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back