The Review Tour of FiiO Q5 Flagship Bluetooth and DSD-Capable DAC & Amplifier Starts Right Now!
Jan 27, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #136 of 367
I know this isn't fair, but I think similarity exists between Creative E5 and Fiio Q5. and I don't mean just the number 5.
I have unfortunately only my G5 to compare, but it still has a five in it. And I think the price point speaks for itself, that
Q5 is worth its weight in gold. The G5 is lighter and has a bigger exterior dimension than the Q5. And the audio quality is good on G5,
while audio quality in Q5 is magnificent 7, but in a five kind of way. G5 is a lot warmer, while Q5 resolution is way over the top in comparison.
I think the E5 holds its own on aptx bluetooth, but between E5 and G5 they have optical line out to tap into Q5 so all is not really lost,
until you start using bluetooth and realize you may have to leave the creative stuff behind.
My goal is to use a twenty something dollar android tv box to see if between usb and optical, which is better convenience wise to connect to the Q5.

Edit: I just realized optical cables can run pretty long while costing very little.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #137 of 367
Just spent hundred over dollars ordering cables and adaptors just to test the balance output of Q5.... I'm getting ready to face the hype train!
Lol, same here, reterminating my se cables and buying an old dap to test coax in

Jan 28, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #138 of 367
image.png

I get stuck at this point of the Fiio app. I tried connecting the Q5 and restarting the Fiio Controller app a number of times.

Jan 28, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #139 of 367

I get stuck at this point of the Fiio app. I tried connecting the Q5 and restarting the Fiio Controller app a number of times.

I had the same problem it simply doesn't work with the Fiio controller app. You have to take the other Fiio Music app and there it works only with bluetooth connection. Then you can check the Q5 settings. Same is mentioned on the Fiio website where the Q5 is introduced!

Jan 28, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #140 of 367
just tried Q5 with Schiit Eitr and Coax. Really sounds great. Did this just for testing purposes as I will normally use the Eitr with my audio-gd NFB 11/R2R 11. But I'm very impressed so far :)
First I thought that it doesn't work but you have to switch input to yellow which means coax. Line in, coax and optical use the same input port.

Jan 28, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #141 of 367
I found out the other Fiio app does not support ipad mini.

Interesting battle going on behind the scenes between single ended and balance, and a potentially a three way battle royal with dsd, multibit, and no dac at all. I'd say it is pretty exciting time in audio community with so many options to figure out. And did I mention Ldac and AAC and Aptx HD low latency with bluetooth 5.0. Just stop me already.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #142 of 367
just tried Q5 with Schiit Eitr and Coax. Really sounds great. Did this just for testing purposes as I will normally use the Eitr with my audio-gd NFB 11/R2R 11. But I'm very impressed so far :)
First I thought that it doesn't work but you have to switch input to yellow which means coax. Line in, coax and optical use the same input port.

How would you rank resolution, not brightness, among the amps you mentioned?

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #144 of 367
I'd like to apply to review.

I own a myriad array of high-end to low-end headphones and IEMs (Utopia SINE, i4, HF5, KSC-75, etc.) as well as a few amps and DACs (Mojo, iCan PRO, micro iDSD, and some others).

I've done many reviews on Head-Fi, some of which have been featured (almost all of them actually).

Please PM me directly or you can reach me via email here.

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #145 of 367
I have heard enough, but I have not tried all of the things the Q5 can do. And my time during my turn is coming to a close. So at the end of the day, I shall produce a review reflecting my circumstances. But did I mention Fiio sounds quite the premium sounding amplification. My comment is in regards to my experience with the Q1MKIi and the Q5. I already know it wiil be hard for me to go back to my relatively inferior gears.

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #148 of 367

Dear friend,

The Fiio Controller app only works for the i1 not the Q5.:sweat_smile:

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back