The retro IEM thread. Lets talk about our old discontinued IEMs
Aug 17, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #151 of 263
How many of you head-fier's have had this classic gem at one time? I've had this thing three different times. my first one got stolen, and made me cry for days lol. the second one i had made into a custom, but the mold was a bit off, so i sold them to someone who was going to get them reshelled, since i could prove they were TF10's that were custom shelled. the last time i got them, and i had already gotten rid of the custom cable i bought for them originally that made them really sing. the original cable for the UE TF10 made them sound very recessed and plasticky highs, so i sold them off (those are the ones in the pic) and bought the Dunu DN-1000 instead (didn't keep those long). For a long time, it was the last of the full BA earphones that i bought (outside of the UE700 and Doppios i already had). Still, with the right cable, these were one of the funnest, most musical earphones i ever had the pleasure of listening to. So much musicality and detail, but not hyper detailed or clinical, but enough to keep you engaged and involved.

The legendary Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10.

IMG_4071.JPG
Still have mine!

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #152 of 263
bump

Aug 24, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #154 of 263
heard so much about the Panasonic RP-HJE900E. How good were they?

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #156 of 263
IDK if they're 'retro' per se.
For the longest time though, I used the Klipsch Image S4 thinking they were the god damned best thing one could use for listening to music on the go. I still have a pair that I pretty much exclusively use for listening to podcasts and for workout. I never got any of the stock tips to consistently work, but I thought that was just something to roll with until one day I got comply tips. Klipsch was sort of my gateway drug. I don't even know when I got my first pair. I used cheap-ish Panasonic IEMs in the mid-2000s with my trusty Cowon X5. Don't ask me for the model of those. Then Cnet or something ranked the Klipsch Image S4 as "best IEM money can buy" or something and I stuck with those for years until basically 2016.1597160076032.png

The Klipsch Image S4 and something-8 were my very first pair of >$10 IEMs, along with an Eymotic. My reaction was similar to yours, that they must have been the best ever. Could finally hear the dynamics in Telegraph Road properly.

One was stolen, along with a messenger bag, and the other fell victim to a washing machine. That's how I initially got into Chi-Fi much later, as I wanted new IEMs.

To this day, I don't really know how the Klipsch stack up to modern Chi-Fi, as I don't have them. [My cheap IEMs were the JVC HA-FX-10 and maybe some Panasonics.]

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #157 of 263
Still sounds beautiful after all these years:
20201015_145428.jpg

Oct 15, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #159 of 263
I recently changed my daily drivers, i use to use a pair f UE900s off a Sony A35, now im running my AKG N400 off my cellphone,

I cant believe a pair of single driver dynamic bluetooth headphones can stand up to my old UE900

Oct 15, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #160 of 263

I was helping a friend clean out his house, and came across some older Samsung Galaxy phone boxes. He said I could have the headphones from them (brand new still in the bag). I ended up with 2 of them; 1 black and 1 white pair. I listed to them later that day and they were OK. Nothing mind blowing, but I’m glad I was finally able to hear some genuine Samsung earphones (AKGs I bought turned out to be counterfeit).

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #161 of 263
Still love dusting off my SuperFi 5EB, they were my first “considered” IEM purchase (as opposed to just buying what was available in a store at the time) and they still have great bass even against some of the more recent bass-heavy IEMs.

Attachments

• 25855DE9-1B21-43BA-BAB1-363B3F8AFAD8.jpeg
    25855DE9-1B21-43BA-BAB1-363B3F8AFAD8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Oct 15, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #162 of 263
Oct 15, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #164 of 263
Oct 16, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #165 of 263
One iem I really miss is the re262. I’d love to own it again.

It was a damn impressive earphone. I'm still sad that future Hifiman earphones were never as good. The RE262 was the first earphone I used that sounded like a real high grade device, extremely good sound quality. Now there were several shortcomings that made it only mid grade holistically when you take everything into consideration, but the driver used was exceptionally good for what it could do, beautifully transparent and no distortion, extremely detailed and fast, dynamic and powerful. I've used high end home audio drivers from Seas, Scsnspeak, Morel, and Peerless. The RE262 was the first IEM I've used that had a driver that sounded as high of grade as a good, professional driver. I really hoped Hifiman would evolve that further and fix the shortcomings of the RE262, but they went very different and unfortunately they seemed to put more money in appearance then sound. The RE262 was probably the epitome of sound first, then everything else. It actually sounded like the money went into the drivers. Then they shifted. We ended up at something like the RE600 which in contrast was a rather big disappointment, a lot of money put into appearances, packaging, and ultimately what sounds like a pretty low grade driver. I haven't looked at their stuff since. I have the RE600, and it's the worst earphone I own. But the old RE262 was one of the best earphones I've owned in terms of quality of sound. I can buy the RE600 still today, but I can't buy the RE262. I had a RE262, sold it after while, and a couple years later, I bought one again after I've tried many other IEMs since, and it was still just as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back